Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-03-2019

The knowledge and wisdom of WOG-

Helping orthers in their journey toward a better self and machine-

MJD
Old 01-03-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
The generator start battery is not normally connected to any other 12 volt system in the coach. It's only purpose is to start the generator. There's an alternator on the generator whose only purpose is to recharge the generator start battery.

That being said, there's a momentary rocker switch on the left side of the instrument panel that will parallel the coach batteries with the generator start battery.

The chassis battery bank (main engine start, engine and transmission computers, running/driving lights, hydraulic pump for slides and jacks, etc) is charged by the main engine alternator. It sees about a .5 to 1 amp parasitic load when the coach is sitting; this will run it dead in 2 weeks or so.

When the main engine is running there's combiner solenoid that parallels the coach battery bank with the chassis battery bank and charges both. With the main engine off this solenoid is normally open.

If you are running off the generator or shore power the combiner solenoid stays open unless you activate the switch on the right side of the instrument panel. If you leave this switch off your chassis battery bank will discharge and go dead as mentioned above.

The chassis battery bank is made up of starting batteries; these batteries will support the short duration high current draw required for starting the engine but are hurt badly by a deep discharge. Running them flat will take at least a year off their usable life. If you have to use the combiner switch to start the main engine after float charging them, they need replacing. On my '99 LXi they are size 31P. Best price I found locally was at Batteries Plus, second best at Sam's Club (about $10.00 more per battery).

You should find the manual for the inverter chargers in the Blue Box. Among other things you can set the chemistry (wet, gel, AGM) of the batteries and also limit the current draw when on AC (shore) and you only have 15 amp service.
15 amps is enough to run the refrigerator and keep the batteries charged; set the inverter-chargers to max 5 amps each and turn off the breaker for the Aqua-Hot electric element and you'll be fine.

Not having a BB "in front of me" to look at and reference. It is sometimes difficult to follow along. Your write up Stephen helped me tremendously to gain a better understanding - thanks.

PS - Hope all is coming back together for you (house repairs) after Michael.

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 01-03-2019
Forum owner

Juan,you have had your coach for 3 years,all you had to do is ask!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-03-2019

Thanks, Timothy. The new (metal) roof is going on as I sit and type this. The dogs are expressing their displeasure at the noise.

We're still sleeping in the coach parked in the front yard. We've been running the AC the last couple days but it's going to cool down this weekend. There's still no heat/ac in the house. We're waiting for the new roof (the (third layer) tarp job leaks a little) so that we can get the ceilings and insulation back up and get the missing walls replaced. Yes, I can see the underside of the roof decking from where I'm sitting.

Every day a little better; yesterday a 4th birthday party for my granddaughter held out in the coach.
Unfortunately my grandson (2) likes to get up by the driver's seat and play with switches. I have to go over the panels switch by switch to be sure everything is set correctly after he leaves.

Steve

Lynn Haven, Florida
1999 LXi 43 dual slide
Honda CR-V toad

850 814 9022
Old 01-03-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahansm View Post
Thanks. The new (metal) roof is going on as I sit and type this. The dogs are expressing their displeasure at the noise.

Steve

Now thats huge!!More rain coming,i hope hey get it dried in today for you.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-05-2019

Randy before asking I like reading all the post. I’ve been able do and learn a lot just from reading someone else’s post. Seriously the WOG is the encyclopedia of BB.
Thanks to all.