Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-05-2019
thumbqdm@gmail.com

Default M380 door wiring cut! Purpose??

Our "new-to-us" M380 has a wiring bundle in the door jamb cut flush with the jamb. The bundle is about halfway up the jamb of the entry door. It contains 5 wires, each protected by it's own tubing. All 5 tubes are contained in a larger round protective tube. Picture is attached. I suspect it may be related to a BB factory alarm system, but I have no knowledge or indication that this coach has either of the 2 security systems mentioned in the owner's manual.

Any thoughts out there from fellow M380 owners?

Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2469A.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	62311  
2006 Jeep Wrangler

Last edited by Thumbqdm; 06-05-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-05-2019
Geek

There are various electrical functions in the door. Off the top of my head there's the electric lock, which locks/unlocks both the deadbolt and the handle lock, and there is a connection to the magnet switch that tells the system the door is open or closed, so the step will retract/extend as it should.

The locks operate from a switch on the dash, and a switch by the passenger seat, plus the keyfob remote tied into the alarm system (my alarm system/keyfob have never worked).

Not sure how your step could work correctly if those wires are cut.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-05-2019
thumbqdm@gmail.com

Don,
The step works perfectly, including the dash switch to keep the step extended regardless of door position. The air-lock switch also works, but I believe that feature is build into the frame above the door. I have no way to lock the door from the inside other than manually rotating the deadbolt and sliding the lever by the handle. So I'm guessing the electric locks were the intended destinations of these wires. I'll be pulling the inside trim panel later this summer to get it wrapped. The plastic has faded and it has small crack, so a corresponding vinyl wrap to match what is on the door is necessary. Once this panel is off I'll see if I can restore function to the locks. Add to the list! Thanks.
2006 Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-05-2019
Geek

The magnet switch was definitely the destination of one of those wires, so I don't know how your step could work properly - meaning extend when you open the door. Something odd, for sure.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 06-05-2019
thumbqdm@gmail.com

I'll look closer and report back my findings. Strange indeed.
2006 Jeep Wrangler
Old 06-05-2019

I might be stating the obvious, but some of the wires may be intact while one or more of the others are shorted/broken and thus some features may work while others may not. When my step failed to operate it turned out to be a break in one of those very tiny wires that are stretched thin as it is coming through the door jamb. I would have hoped BB would have created more slack so that the wires could be repaired easier especially since they flex each time the door opens and closes...on the other hand I only had to repair the wire once in 11 years of ownership and presumable the PO did not have any issues. BTW, my Black Widow alarm works fine, but I disabled it long ago by pressing the red light under the ignition...it was more trouble than it was worth... You can just imagine all the issues an owner of a brand new top of the line Class A technology driven coach is going to have down the line..