Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-12-2019

Question What do we have here? Located above the steps

I was under the bus working on my air steps. Was a problem with 12 v not supplying the switches etc.
The 12 to the steps was coming from the solenoid in the first photo. thinking In any case I found 12v on both sides of the solenoid and the trigger wire that energizes the solenoid. Weird. Any one know what this solenoid is for? and what is the finned thing wired into it? The finned thing is wired to both sides of the solenoid with a circuit breaker in one lead.. Could this mess be part of the "battery start/boost" feature?
Just wondering what it might be. It obviously needs restoration.

I thought I knew how to add photos.....

Vintage Auto Service
vintageautoservice@yahoo.com
I build or work on your Hot Rod, race car, or collector car.

"Buy American"
Old 06-12-2019

Since I can't seem to figure out how to add photos I will describe:
To the rear and above of the steps there is a 12v solenoid. It has heavy gage wires to both sides. Adjacent to the solenoid is a finned thing, might be aluminum, that looks like a heat sink. There are two poles on this thing wired to each side of the solenoid and in one of the legs there is a 30A breaker. The weird thing is both sides of the solenoid and the wire to energize the solenoid are hot 12v. I have no idea what this is for. Anyone have an idea?

Vintage Auto Service

"Buy American"
Old 06-12-2019
Gardner

It is a diode used to charge the generator battery when the coach batteries are being charge, but prevent the coach from draining the generator battery when there is no charge current..

The solenoid is used to temporarily connect the gen and coach batteries together to boost the starting power. Activated by the momentary aux switch on the dash.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-12-2019

Thanks Gardner, I was hoping you would reply to my post. Any idea where the 12v to the air step is supposed to come from? Right now I tapped into the wire that energizes the solenoid; but that shouldn't work....because that wire is connected to the momentary switch on the dash. Thinking now the momentary switch has a problem too. I'm guessing that I have a constant connection between my coach batteries and the generator start battery. It's real crusty up there and I'm going to rip it out and replace everything.
Thanks for your assistance as usual!

Vintage Auto Service

"Buy American"