Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-23-2011

Default Part number for starter soleniod

Does anyone know a part number for the starter solenoid? On our way to eureka springs and the solenoid Is acting up. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that the bug solenoid above drivers seat. Tapped on it and the coach turned over. Before that nothing. Thanks Ron
Old 06-24-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjtoles View Post
Does anyone know a part number for the starter solenoid? On our way to eureka springs and the solenoid Is acting up. Correct me if I'm wrong but is that the bug solenoid above drivers seat. Tapped on it and the coach turned over. Before that nothing. Thanks Ron
You have me a little confused (that's not surprising is it) with the location of what you are referring to as the starter solenoid, now I know there are differences in almost every 'Bird that has been built, but the starter solenoid on my '82 FC is located on the inside of the frame rail curb side just behind the engines front cross member which puts it very close to the starter, as you can see here in one of NH Bill's pictures on his '83FC.

These are sometimes referred to as FORD STYLE starter solenoids and are available at most parts stores, as to what the part number would be I can't help you with that, but sometimes you can find a part number on the solenoid itself.

Please post a picture of what you are talking about so that we can better answer your question.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	STARTER SOLENOID LOCATIONsm.jpg
Views:	3612
Size:	253.9 KB
ID:	10879  

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-24-2011

It's me that is doing the confusing. Te solenoid that I'm referring to is above the drivers head. It does not have the starter wires attached but when I turn the key it energizes and I hear it click. When I was trying to get it started, after jiggling the shifter, may turns of the key, I took my wrench and tapped this solenoid and then the bus turned over. I know it can't be the starter solenoid because it's not hooked to the starter directly. Not sure what it's function is just know that when I tapped it it started. Now that could have been a coincidence as well or when I tapped on it I jarred something else that made It start. It is clearly a heavy duty solenoid similar to the one in the picture you sent, but not sure it's function other that it energizes when the key is turned.????.?.
Old 06-24-2011

Not sure what that relay does but if you are looking for a "Ford" style relay like this:

Then the Napa Echlin part number is: ST85. Should be available at most any Napa store. Or if you prefer the more generic ID: SS608 - Switch Interruptor Commutateur. That is a continous duty relay.

Local cost is about $60.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 06-24-2011

In my 78 there were a couple of those solenoids in the overhead cabinet. One of them is energized when you move the ignition key to the first notch, powering many things that shut off when you turn the key off, I remember that the overhead air conditioner fans were linked to the ignition key (cannot remember what else was powered through that solenoid, but there were a few). Anyway, that solenoid ( in the overhead cabinet) may provide control power for the starter circuit which would explain your situation.
They do wear out. Over time the copper disks in those solenoids get pitted and stop conducting power. If you have had to tap it to get it to work, it is time to replace it. I would replace it and see it that solves your problem. I used to carry a spare after it failed.
Hope this helps.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 06-24-2011

Called napa and they could not find a cross reference on the numbers listed on the Solenoid. They say I would have to bring it in so think I will wait till tuesday when I get home to remove it. So long as I can start it one more time for the trip home I'm good. Checked it this am and it turned right over. Will pull it then and take it into Napa. Thanks for all the info....Ron
Old 06-24-2011

Quote:
Called napa and they could not find a cross reference on the numbers listed on the Solenoid. They say I would have to bring it in so think I will wait till tuesday when I get home to remove it. So long as I can start it one more time for the trip home I'm good. Checked it this am and it turned right over. Will pull it then and take it into Napa. Thanks for all the info....Ron

My front overhead compartment has the turn signal / brake lights solenoids and another solenoid similar to yours that when the ignition switch is turned on it activates that solenoid to provide 12 volt power to the circuit breakers loacted up there, it can just barely be seen at the far right of the picture below, does this look like yours?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
The picture is for reference purposes only and the text does not apply to finding or fixing your problem.

Here is the solenoid and it's part number;

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Proof that no two 'Birds were built exactly alike, even of the same year and model, mine was actually built in late 1981 as a 1982 model.

It may be a good idea to purchase a spare turn signal solenoid like shown in my picture, I've replaced both of mine. They are White Rodgers 70-111224-5 Continuous Duty Solenoids.

I purchased mine from;

Mega RV Parts
33866 SE Eastgate Circle
Corvallis, OR 97333
Ph: (541)758-8242
http://megarvparts.com/

The cost was $27.63 plus shipping which was the least expensive source that I could find, here is the link to the solenoid on their website http://megarvparts.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_ id=175&zenid=cdb0ddc75bc34acca1e5e56e9b9d1569

They were actually shipped from;
Diesel Equipment Company
Greensboro, North Carolina
http://www.dieselequipment.com/item_details.aspx?catID=2&prodID=1257

They serve as a central warehouse distributor of diesel fuel injection systems and heavy duty electrical products.

All three of the solenoids up there are the same White Rodgers 70-111224-5 Continuous Duty Solenoids, this may also be the solenoid that you have too.

The link above to the solenoid on the Mega RV Parts web site doesn't show them as available although they show them on the Electrical page, so i would suggest that you call them for availability.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-24-2011

That does not look it the one that I have up there has two additional terminals on the top of it. I went and looked, or listened more correctly for a solenoid up from in the drivers side light box that is the transfer relay for the starter and ther was not one there. As my bus has had the front end modified to a more modern square headlight look I'm thinking that they relaocated the solenoid here.
Old 06-25-2011

Quote:
That does not look it the one that I have up there has two additional terminals on the top of it. I went and looked, or listened more correctly for a solenoid up from in the drivers side light box that is the transfer relay for the starter and ther was not one there. As my bus has had the front end modified to a more modern square headlight look I'm thinking that they relaocated the solenoid here.

Please post a picture.

JOHN FINN
1982 FC35RB
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 06-25-2011

Would love to however all I have with men is my iPad and there doesn't seem to be a way to post it. I can email but not post to web site. When you go to the add file section it will not recognize the iPad file locations. I will email the picture to you and if you would be lind enough to post it i would appreciate it.