Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 04-19-2013
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default SolderGrip Heat-Shrink Butt Splices

These items were discussed during the LED workshop at Bird's At the Beach.

Tyco Electronics (ALR) CPGCWT-9002-15 "Raychem" Soldergrip Heat- Shrink Butt Splice 22-18

http://www.amazon.com/Electronics-CP...k+Butt+Splices

+ +
Price for all three: $28.67

Buy the selected items together;
This item: Tyco Electronics (ALR) CPGCWT-9002-15 "Raychem" Soldergrip Heat- Shrink Butt Splice 22-18 by Raychem $8.69
Tyco Electronics 16-14 Solder Splice Cpgi-Cwt-9003-12 Splice Kit Wire by Tyco $9.99
Tyco Electronics 12-10 Solder Splice Cpgi-Cwt-9004-10 Splice Kit Wire by Tyco $9.99

Wire Connector, Heat Shrink, 18-22AWG

Solder Type Wire Connectors with Heat-ShrinkUL and C-UL Listed.600V For solid or stranded copper wireWire Connector, Heat Shrink, Solder, Color-coded, Color Green, Min. Wire Combination 6, #22 AWG, Min. Wire Size 22 AWG, Max. Wire Combination 1, #16 AWG plus 1, #18 AWG, Max Wire Size #18 AWG, Max Voltage 600, Wire Type Copper - Solid and Stranded, Length 1.51 In., Standard Pack 6

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Connector...ire+Connectors

If you need a heat gun, here's one;

Grizzly H0801 Heat Gun - 1800 Watt

This superb Grizzly® heat gun is very versatile. Features variable temperature control from 120 - 590 degrees C. This model is great for heavy-duty, industrial use. UL approved.

GRIZZLY HEAT GUN MANUAL.pdf (79.0 KB)

http://www.amazon.com/Grizzly-H0801-...+watt+heat+gun
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GRIZZLY HEAT GUN.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	21567  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf GRIZZLY HEAT GUN MANUAL.pdf (79.0 KB, 321 views)

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11

Last edited by iamflagman; 04-19-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2013

Grizzly heat gun sounds great.........just make sure the other half doesn't grab it by mistake as a hair dryer!. It takes weeks to get that singed hair smell out of a coach!!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 04-19-2013

They have their uses, not a perfect fix. I like a crimp AND solder.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 04-20-2013
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
These items were discussed during the LED workshop at Bird's At the Beach.

http://www.amazon.com/Wire-Connector...ire+Connectors
I don't want to contradict the advice from BATB (I've been a consumer of heat-shrink connectors for years), or the wisdom of the crimp+solder school, but I'm going to share some advice I read and a video from the Homebuilders" aircraft builders group, because it is interesting the way they do electrical crimps. Is this thread hijacking? If so, at least it is a good cause, promoting solid and long-lasting electrical connections, yes?

Again, if this is contradictory, I don't mean to be, I wasn't at BATS and don't know if they went into it all.

I picked up this link in a motorcycle forum several years ago (wil;l share the link if anyone is that interested)--it was posted in the course of a discussion involving a former AMP engineer, who said, among other things, that the best electrical connections are air-tight because oxygen is needed before most metal/metal connections will corrode. AMP connectors are NOT heat-shrink.

Heat-shrinking connectors @ $2/per is one way to get air-tight, oxygen-free connections, but that can also be had with AMP connectors and an expen$ive crimping tool. As engineer and designer of crimp connectors, the poster said, the best wire crimps "weld" the crimp to the wire--if you took it apart after crimping, you'd find wire that effectively/mechanically had become part of the crimped connector, and vice versa. It takes a good tool (a "controlled cycle crimper", see the video) to deliver a "gas-tight cold weld". Otherwise, "
If one is careful, determined, and muscular, near equivalent results can be had with good aftermarket tools. "

Anyway, the Homebuilders viddie:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=590116930001

Have fun,

--Ned
Full-time in 2019
Old 04-20-2013

Those heat shrink thingies are nice, but really not needed unless there are environmental issues, like water to deal with.

A good crimp connector is just as good for the kind of connections we normally use on our coaches. Bluebird used hundreds of them and I havent heard of any failures??

To get a good crimp you need the right tools, not a $1 crimper or a pair of pliers...

Heres an article on how to make a good crimp...
http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/terminal.pdf

HTH, Joe

'93 WB40 'Alligator'
Sedona, AZ
Fun-Fun-Fun Till they take the BlueBird Away!