Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 05-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_shannon View Post
I have discovered that my generator battery is not being charged by the battery chargers when plugged in. So I crawled under the bus looking for some sort of diode that supposedly is near the entry step. The attached pic with crayon drawing shows a solenoid that has an on/off switch (light blue) that sends a wire to each side of it. Not sure what this solenoid is for. It send one lug to the bar below (red) and from there onto the leveler pump solenoid (yellow). The green wire goes back towards the back. Not sure if it goes to the generator or main AC panel It's a large wire. I didn't find any diode to speak of. Not sure what the on/off switch is. Any ideas what this circuit is for?
I don’t think there is a coach to generator battery charger, there is the aux battery switch that gives you a boost, but no charge. I may be incorrect and probably just restated what’s been said but no charge for this info either.

There have been some posts on adding chargers to the generator battery.
Old 05-27-2019

It turns out the rotary switch in the LP compartment was not working. I connected a jumper wire across the solenoid and was able to start the generator off the coach batteries. The jumper is about a 4 gauge wire. This will have to do until I can figure out why the switch wire isn't engaging the solenoid.

Future mods will be to install a battery charging isolator and repair the Aux Batt circuit.

Craig & Michelle Shannon
Huntertown, IN
1982 FC 35 SB
Old 05-27-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by cm_shannon View Post
It turns out the rotary switch in the LP compartment was not working. I connected a jumper wire across the solenoid and was able to start the generator off the coach batteries. The jumper is about a 4 gauge wire. This will have to do until I can figure out why the switch wire isn't engaging the solenoid.

Future mods will be to install a battery charging isolator and repair the Aux Batt circuit.
You can design the system with chargers for all banks (2 or 3) or you can have 1 charger and use solenoids or Eaton isolation relays, which are smart and reliable, to link all the banks. I like the 1-charger design.