Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 07-06-2009
Gardner

The last time I had a darn fool pull a u-turn out of a side street in front of me, my hands were too busy trying to stear and blow the horn at the same time. My air horns weren't working so I was using the center horn button and the city horns. Now with my air horns rebuilt, I put my left foot on the floor and twist it till I hit the horn button. Then I wait for an idiot to do something stupid and step on the button. It helps that I used to play the drums for a living, so I can work hands and feet independantly.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-06-2009
Senior

Its actually quite easy to eliminate the floor button and install a button for the air horns anywhere you want it. Just use a bosch relay to trigger the air horn. 12VDC goes to the bosch relay and then to the air horn solenoid, and the button you install or the horn button then acts as the "trigger" to activate the bosch relay. Bosch relays can be used for a lot of things in your coach in addition to this such as bringing higher voltages and currents to your lights and getting high currents out of your dash.
6V92
Old 08-23-2009

Finally got back to the air horn button project when I had panels apart for speaker wiring. Here's what worked.

The horn button on the end of the turn signal had a very bad connection, not worth taking apart and trying to adapt, and the wiring was really tough to get at. Nixed that idea.

I got an air horn button from WoLo (because it was the only one with a horn symbol on it, Auto Zone's was plain). Cut a i/4" thick piece of wood to fit next to the air duct over the shift panel, bored out a hole for the switch, covered the wood with matching thin foam and vinyl, inserted the switch and wired it in to the air horn circuit directly.

I also used one of the spare accessory positions on the dash above the steering yoke horn selector switch with a SPDT switch to select between floor and dash.

Looks good. Works great. Now no more accidental horn blasts. I can mash that big button pretty fast.

Before and after pictures attached. Only remaining problem is how to letter the dash switch to look similar to the factory lettering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010005.JPG
Views:	302
Size:	494.5 KB
ID:	2701   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010004.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	465.0 KB
ID:	2702  
Old 08-24-2009

How about relocating the switch to the front bumper that way when the econobox that just cut you off hears the horn he'll know why you're drop kicking him out of the way.

There was a news article last week about a motorcycle rider that got POd at a motorhome. After the hand gestures he pulled in front of the motorhome and gave the guy a brake job. The scooter guy died after failing his first physics lesson.
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 08-24-2009

Default Soiled underwear

I don't know about the other driver, but I scared the **** out of myself hitting that button. My regular driver is a stick shift, so my right foot is used to hitting the clutch when I brake. No one told me one of the supplies I'll need to carry is lots of fresh underwear!!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 08-24-2009

meant my left foot......... see how shook up it got me!!!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 08-24-2009

I really think that all the P.O. get off on not telling us about those horn buttons on the floor. My guess is that they are sitting at home laughing their asses off thinking about how this "rookie" is going to be driving down the road, all smiles, and thinking he has died and gone to heavan, when all of a sudden he puts his foot on "THE BUTTON" and evacuates his bowels! He's laughing so hard because that's what he did. That button has been a matter of much discussion on this forum. Welcome to the club!!!!!

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 08-24-2009

I found mine the first time I pulled the Bird into the back yard. The neighbors were having a pool party - of course teenagers so a little loud. They thought I was retaliating against their noise till I apologized for the added noise. They were a little quieter after that so maybe I'll keep that trick up my sleeve.
Blue Bird Maps 156
Old 08-24-2009

Talking Power of Suggestion

Long ago in another life I drove Blue Bird Schoolies for ASU for about 8 years. I loved that air horn foot switch as I could blow those horns and keep both hands on the wheel. Never had a problem with accidentally blowing it. On my coach it is almost behind the stering column and was likewise never a problem, UNTIL I started reading about all the problems other people have with it. I have since accidentally hit it a few times. Kinda like an S.O.B. I had one time. I was taller than the entry door but never had a problem with it until someone brought it to my attention, Hit my head three times that same night.
I still won't do anything about the foot switch, it's too handy there when I want it.

THE SHORT BUS
(She's Just a Little Slow)
Old 08-24-2009
Forum owner

guys,after many years of driving a bird I still hit that switch,Carol just loves it when I do!
it scares the **** out of me!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com