Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 02-29-2008

Default Trojan Batteries

Last summer was looking to replace the trojan batteries 105. @ $140. bucks
being that I have 11 batteries in the bird Sam's prices @ $60. bucks was a littler better
Old 03-01-2008

Wink

A big THANK YOU to all that replied to our thread. We are checking out all the info.

What a great forum this is!!

Regards,
Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 03-01-2008

If you have a manual master battery cutoff in the engine bay it is a good idea to check it out. Mine failed while starting the coach this week. If I had been in the boonies instead of the driveway it would have been a problem. $32.00 for a new one and $32.00 for a spare just in case it happens again.
Leroy Eckert
1990 WB-40 Smoke N Mirrors
Dahlonega, GA
Royale Conversion

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 03-02-2008

We have four golf cart 6v. batteries. The converters would not fully charge them so last summer we had a 2.0 Xantrex prosine installed. The 3-stage charger is great. So far hte batteries seem to be doing better than any have done in the past. Until now the coach seemed to like batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I believe one problem that may affect a lot of Birds is that the only time the batteries could get a full charge was when we were driving and even then the load on the system is usually such that they don't get a full charge. The result is very short battery life. With the Xantrex the only time the batteries don't get a full charge is when we are driving without the generator running.

In my opinion two faults witht he 36 SP are two few batteries and not enough alternator.

Jim Magowan
36 SP
Anchorage AK
Old 03-03-2008

Jim,

I agree with you on the lack of house battries!

When I bought my coach, it only had 2 12v mismatched house batteries. Not really useful for any type of boondocking. I replaced them with 4 12v Sams Club deep cycles, but wish there was space for more.

So, I now have a total of 500 Ah in my house bank. What do you get from the 6v golf batteries??

By the way, what size is your alternator?
Linden, Michigan
Old 04-23-2009
Resident Rookie

Howdy,
I have a 91 WLWB with all batteries less than 2 years old, the original Heart inverter/charger, and the stock (but rebuilt several years ago) alternators (front and back). During a trip to Iowa last week I noticed for the first time that the amp meter dropped to zero for a few minutes then would go back to about 40 amps for a few minutes and repeat. It would not get below 12.5- 12.6 volts but it worries me that it is recycling. When operating normally it usually recharged the starting deficit in the batteries and then settled down to about 15-20 amps. It did this both with the coach batteries tied to the engine batteries or separated.
The alt. fault light is now on and the "1-both-2" selector switch goes to zero when switch is on either 1 or 2.
Is there a load sharing system I can check or do both alternators supply a main buss? I am getting the charging circuit diagram and will measure the alternator outputs soon to be sure both are working.
Any other suggestions of where to start troubleshooting?
Another question - with the generator running does the inverter/charger contribute to the battery charge when the 8-V92 engine is running?
Thanks in advance.
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 04-23-2009

Howdy, Bob.

Hmmm. On our 1993 Bird, the Heart inverter is just an inverter, it doesn't charge the batteries. We HAD the original 2 battery chargers but got rid of them quickly. We now have a Xantrex battery charger.

I will have to think more on your problem.

Regards,
Jack
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 04-23-2009

Default check dates

The key to buying batteries is the date of mfg. If you buy from Sam's be sure to check the dates. Once I bought golf cart batteries from Sams and they were 3 years old when I bought them. Consequently, they were replaced prematurely. I also believe that all the batteries should have the same batch number.

The 3 stage chargers will add life to batteries, as does using distrilled water and keeping a check on the water levels.

1994 Wanderlodge (sold)
2000 LXI (sold)
1993 Wanderlodge(Sold)
2004 M380
Blountstown, Florida
Old 04-23-2009
Senior

Larry your post caught my eye. You have a Xantrex charger/inverter and a smart charger? What is the smart charger for?
6V92
Old 04-23-2009

Bob,
I'm going to assume you mean the ampmeter is jumping while you're running down the road. Given this, I would think the voltage regulator would be going bad and start checking it. It could be nothing more than a bad connection at the regulator. One thing to test would be voltage at the batteries. Park her, start her and have somebody raise the engine speed while you're at the batteries with a volt meter. Do you see a similar shift in voltage? If you have a clamp on ampmeter, you would do better to then truly follow the amperage at the batteries. Just thinking it may also be a bad connection to the meter, rather than a true problem.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support