Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-29-2009
adamssam adamssam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 255
Default water heater fill.......on/off

Quick question about winterizing my 83 FC. I think maybe I have a water heater bypass valve that has alway been there, just never noticed. On the passengers side on the bed, down by the floor, on the side there are 3 knobs. top one is labeled water heater fill...on/off, then the other 2 are water heater drain and water tank drain...I guess the water heater fill..on/off knob is to shut the flow of water off from going into the water heater. So I guess all I need to do is drain the w/h and then shut the water heater fill valve to off and start pumping the pink stuff. agree?
__________________
Sam and Ellen Adams
1983 FC 35, Bought June 2004, Sold Dec. 2017
1991 WB Bought April 2018
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-29-2009
birds_first's Avatar
birds_first birds_first is offline
RV Appraiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,165
Default

Sounds good to me, but I would blow the lines first & open 1 spigot at a time while blowing the lines that would include the shower head and tub & the outside unit if you have one. Once you have blown all the lines then add the pink stuff and repeat the blowing process just getting foam out at each point. One thing you want to make sure is to remove any filter cartridges before adding the pink stuff. If you drain the entire system first, blow lines, add pink stuff & blow again you should be ok. If all else fails bring it down to Louisville and stick it in the Louisville Underground Storage, this is my 3rd winter underground and I don't winterize the coach anymore.
__________________
John McGinnis,
95WB42MD S60, Mid-Entry "B-Rex"
88FC35 (SOLD)
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-29-2009
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,731
Default

Sam,
Lift up the access cover under the bed and verify the knobs are really actuating the drain valves. Then look under the coach, it should be raining under there. I still blow out the lines and pump in Pink stuff while bypassing the hot water heater.
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-30-2009
adamssam adamssam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Sam,
Lift up the access cover under the bed and verify the knobs are really actuating the drain valves. Then look under the coach, it should be raining under there. I still blow out the lines and pump in Pink stuff while bypassing the hot water heater.
I did do that and it seems that the water heater fill on/off is working, I already blew the lines out, now my question is this: should I get a pump to rig up outside to pump pink stuff in from the city hookup ( it seems if i don't, I'll be missing some lines) and then also pump some with the in-house pump just to make sure.
__________________
Sam and Ellen Adams
1983 FC 35, Bought June 2004, Sold Dec. 2017
1991 WB Bought April 2018
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-30-2009
RAGster's Avatar
RAGster RAGster is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Marietta
Posts: 377
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamssam View Post
I did do that and it seems that the water heater fill on/off is working, I already blew the lines out, now my question is this: should I get a pump to rig up outside to pump pink stuff in from the city hookup ( it seems if i don't, I'll be missing some lines) and then also pump some with the in-house pump just to make sure.
That would be the safest plan since you are in the cold country. Don't forget the icemaker and any external lines.

Glenn
__________________
Glenn & Lisa
1986 PT-40
Marietta, GA
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-30-2009
Bill Pape's Avatar
Bill Pape Bill Pape is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Commerce
Posts: 11,144
Default

Yep,

THere is a plastic regulator/pressure reducer in the city water hook-up.
__________________
Bill & Patty
1988 FC, Silver Edition
Commerce, Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-30-2009
adamssam adamssam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 255
Thumbs up

thanks everyone, I think it sounds like a good plan to do both.
__________________
Sam and Ellen Adams
1983 FC 35, Bought June 2004, Sold Dec. 2017
1991 WB Bought April 2018
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-30-2009
birds_first's Avatar
birds_first birds_first is offline
RV Appraiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Louisville, KY
Posts: 5,165
Default

A good point on the ice maker, I just unplugged mine and disconnected the hose, but whatever you do while winterizing it's always a good thing to make notes. Post a tag on kitchen faucet to remind you of what you did while winterizing. I forgot to hook up the ice maker once and had wet floors for a couple days because I forgot about disconnecting it.
__________________
John McGinnis,
95WB42MD S60, Mid-Entry "B-Rex"
88FC35 (SOLD)
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-30-2009
Bill Pape's Avatar
Bill Pape Bill Pape is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Commerce
Posts: 11,144
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamssam View Post
Quick question about winterizing my 83 FC. I think maybe I have a water heater bypass valve that has alway been there, just never noticed. On the passengers side on the bed, down by the floor, on the side there are 3 knobs. top one is labeled water heater fill...on/off, then the other 2 are water heater drain and water tank drain...I guess the water heater fill..on/off knob is to shut the flow of water off from going into the water heater. So I guess all I need to do is drain the w/h and then shut the water heater fill valve to off and start pumping the pink stuff. agree?
This may not be a BB installed by-pass, check the BlueBox.
__________________
Bill & Patty
1988 FC, Silver Edition
Commerce, Michigan
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-01-2009
adamssam adamssam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Valparaiso
Posts: 255
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
This may not be a BB installed by-pass, check the BlueBox.
Good idea, I'll do that. It does look like a BB install, but maybe it isn't a water heater by-pass valve. wonder what else it could be?
__________________
Sam and Ellen Adams
1983 FC 35, Bought June 2004, Sold Dec. 2017
1991 WB Bought April 2018
Valparaiso, Indiana
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water Tank fill Question slckpurdy General 35 09-15-2013 12:58 PM
water fill valve Luvoekars PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) 35 07-20-2009 06:04 PM
Water fill issue - 84FCSB GPSGary General 3 07-13-2009 10:02 PM
Auto-Water Fill Retrofit? BCRoamer General 5 06-10-2009 07:01 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.