Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 08-09-2010
Senior

Tom,

Mike’s signature shows he has a 94 WB. If you look at the Charging Circuit schematic for a 94 WB you’ll find that the Engine Batteries do indeed get charged through the Aux Battery Solenoid - my 91 WB is the same way. So a bad Aux Battery Solenoid could have prevented the Engine Batteries in Mike’s 94 from being charged.

John I do not have the schematics for the 1994 but do have the manual which has no schematics. however it would make no sense to connect the alternator to the aux battery solenoid and have to activate the solenoid in order to charge the batteries. Then where is the generator battery connected? If the engineers at BB connected the batteries and power sources together like that then in my opinion they did a poor job. They must have been attempting to eliminate the isolator or diode which is a more cost effective way to do it. I bet there were many BB owners of the 1994s that continuouly forgot to activate the solenoid with the result of dead batteries. Not a good idea
6V92
Old 08-09-2010
davidmbrady

I think the way it works is the alternator is always connected to the chassis battery bank, and the inverter/chargers are always connected to the house battery bank. The aux switch solenoid connects both banks. When the engine is running, the aux solenoid is enabled by default connecting both banks and allowing the alternator or inverter chargers (if the genny is running) to charge both banks. When plugged into to shore power the aux solenoid is disabled but can be enabled at the dash switch. If left disabled, then the inverter/chargers charge only the house bank; if enabled, then the inverter/chargers charge both the house and the chassis banks. The genny battery is charged by the genny alternator, but there is a momentary switch which allows the house battery bank to start the genny.
Old 08-09-2010

When we went to start the generator this morning it wouldn't go. Chuck hooked up a charger to the generator battery and then it started. We "uncovered" a cover in the ceiling in the kitchen area and found a Kool Matic fan whose blades weren't going around but the motor of it was hot. It had come unattached at one point and fallen down so the blades couldn't go around. Some strong glue has it back it place for the time being, but we think that's been one of the mystery draws on the batteries. We haven't tried all the tests that have been suggested for the alternator etc. because we've been dealing with a wheel issue but we will try to get to it and let you know the results. We really appreciate all the help from everyone. It's been a bit overwhelming with all that's needed fixing and we're suppose to hit the road on Friday! Yikes! Bear with us newbies and thanks again. Kathy
Old 08-09-2010

Shane helped me replace all batteries, cables and charger shortly after I first got my coach. Imagine my surprise when about a week later, the rig was dead in my yard! Well, I found out the hard way that unless you "shut it down" or leave it plugged in, after about 5-7 days, these babies will drain your batteries with all the stuff that is running off them, even if you don't know it. So you may have a drain like a fan running, but also, unless you are plugged into shore power, you will want to shut your batteries down. We had installed a disconnect switch in the rear by the batteries and I use that now when I'm not plugged in.
VB 1570
Old 08-09-2010

Kathy and Chuck,

You should find the switch to turn off the kitchen Kool a matic fan on the (one of the) thermostats in the kitchen.

To your original question, the dash gauge SHOULD read above 12v with the engine running, unless you've got a problem or a very large current draw. Start by checking voltage at the batteries to see if the gauge is correct. You then have to proceed from there, depending on your findings.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 08-10-2010

Chuck and Kathy, have you got the new GC-2 batteries 'fully charged' since replacing the old chargers with the Xantrex?

It's important to keep the batteries topped off...12 volts on a 12 volts battery is 50% discharged!

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm

http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm

The above links, The 12volt Side of Life (Parts 1 & 2) may be of benefit and serve as a reminder to keep those 'parasitic loads' in check. Hang in there...you are making good progress.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401

Last edited by giderich; 08-10-2010 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Added link
Old 08-10-2010

I have 40 Amp and 75 Amp battery chargers and leave one turned off at the breaker box because I'm not sure how they play together, but until I read Gardner's comment, it hadn't dawned on me that when driving with the generator running, you're charging with the battery charger and the alternator. Would it be better to turn both chargers off and only charge with the alternator while driving with the generator running?
"The Aviary"
Old 08-10-2010

John, I've been doing exactly as you have. Shane and I talked about this subject a week or two ago and he suggested shutting the xantrex off when running down the road with the genny running and I will do so in the future. Don't know if harm is done by not but it make sense to me that you could (?) have a problem running as I had been. (Too much juice into the batteries)

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-10-2010

Yes, John you are correct. I turn off the chargers to prevent them from interfering with the alternator when driving the coach.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 08-10-2010

Thanks guys, but now I have something else to remember before starting off. I'm lucky to get my jacks up before driving.
"The Aviary"