Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Eclipse
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-15-2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pape View Post
Good to know about the AVR conversion, this is new to me.
If you have time and can post further info. We are curious and learning.
The 8.K Onan/Kubota BB used is also transformer/ rectifier controlled.
I'll try to come back with some pictures when I get a chance to work on it again. But, the sparknotes of the process are:

My gen head had 7 connectors coming up and out of it to the transformer, rectifier board, and VAC bus bar. In no specific order, you have to identify these connectors as the following:

2 VAC hots
2 VAC neutrals
Exciter Stator +
Exciter Stator -
(The exciter stator wires are identifiable if you check continuity between them. They're two side of a coil, you should see a complete circuit with some resistance. What resistance is typically specified in your generator service manual/technical manual.)
Stator "sense" wire

The AVR needs to see the exciter + and - to terminals X and XX (F1 and F2 labeled sometimes) and it needs to see one VAC hot on 8 (sometimes P1) and one VAC hot on 7 (sometimes P2). It's a giant alternator, just like in your car or bus, and just like those alternators it needs juice to make juice. Some of the energy generated by the main windings when you first start the generator get fed into the AVR, converted into DC, and sent down into the exciter stator to then excite the alternator field and start making juicy 240vac. If you disconnect the AVR/Transformer/etc you will most likely accidentally demagnetize the exciter stator and need to "flash" the exciter in order to get it generating again, consult the AVR/control system instructions for specifics. For me it meant tapping the F1 and F2 terminals with the gen running with 12v for less than 1 second.

The original "sense" wire was for the transformer excitation system and at least in my application was reading lower than line voltage, which was causing the AVR to over-excite. We bypassed that sense wire and instead made two jumper wires from the VAC bus bar to the respective terminals on the AVR and presto, very steady 60hz 240vac power.

This is for a BC164A 6kw 1800rpm 4 pole single phase 120/240 Stamford Generator head. Your mileage may vary.

In the future I may pull this genset and rebuild the kubota + swap on a new CGG 11kw gen head, so I'm not overly concerned about the bypassed "sense" wire because it works well and is quite stable (far more than the transformer system). The most mileage I can get out of this old light tower equipment, the better.

Needless to say, you are working with 240v and this will kill you if you don't know what you're doing and/or are doing it unsafely.

Last edited by WT91; 08-15-2022 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-15-2022
Administrator

Thank you it can be done.
the Onan/ Kubota is a great generator, problems lie in the control board, pin connections, rectifier, and rarely the diode packs.
Old 08-16-2022

Some pics to better explain my last post, also, got the generator sitting in the bus today. Need to actually mount it and figure out exhaust. All of my concerns about size/placement were completely unfounded, this thing fits great. Won't even need to relocate the radiator/run an electric fan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220816_203311649.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	82308   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220816_203259920.MP.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	156.9 KB
ID:	82309   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220816_223551907.MP.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	204.1 KB
ID:	82310   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220816_223830574.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	202.9 KB
ID:	82311  
Old 08-16-2022
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT91 View Post
Some pics to better explain my last post, also, got the generator sitting in the bus today. Need to actually mount it and figure out exhaust. All of my concerns about size/placement were completely unfounded, this thing fits great. Won't even need to relocate the radiator/run an electric fan.
Perfect fit,nice job.
If you go to Finns pbase site you can see how we mounted his genny door,hinged to swing open so its easy to check the oil/water.
of course it still all slides out for service.
His idea,my execution .

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Accomplished a lot over the last few days/weeks, a lot of which I didn't take pictures of. But here's a pic of those new docking lights finally installed courtesy of my better half. She took it upon herself to install them while I worked on the genset. Hoping to have some finished up photos of all that sooner or later...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220904_223921480.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	82636  
Old 1 Week Ago

Had a fun time camping about 30 minutes from our house. Needed to dump tanks so I could work on some plumbing issues, it was $20 to use the dump station or $20 to spend a night and use the dump station...so we made it a weekend thing.

Marge didn't cooperate at first. Stalled out at the end of our street, fuel starved. Cue Tim Allen Home Improvement caveman noises. Popped the doghouse, furiously pumped the hand primer, got her started and back home. Started the investigations with the easiest items. Are we actually out of diesel? Does the fuel gauge lie? We put 25~ gallons in, needle moved from 3/8 to 1/2 tank. Not out of fuel. Did I potentially introduce air into the system when I was working on the generator by blowing air into a fuel line trying to trace it back to a source? Spent a while furiously priming up front and cracking injectors lines, etc. Figured out that there are 2 rubber lines coming from the engine filter housing (that has the primer pump) and they were so old/rock hard they were no longer rubber, and one of them directly rests on the transmission dipstick tube...which if you've been keeping tabs on my adventures I have had absolutely *no* reason to touch sure enough that rock hard hose had cracked. 2 new hoses made with fuel rated line, stainless clamps, we were on our way.

Marge was a celebrity all weekend, nobody at the campground had ever seen anything like her. Answered lots of questions. Almost feel like I need a bulletin board in the windshield like some guys do at classic car shows.

Up next on our Marge maintenance list:

Finally wrap up the generator install (just need to loom some wires + tidy up some stuff)

Sort out the dometic awning that was retrofitted in place of the original ZipDee. We have a new awning to install in the dometic, but some of the hardware is a little jacked up regarding the arms. A whole investigation/fix-up is required there.

Try to take some of the slop out of the steering. 10-15* of dead zone in a 4ft diameter steering wheel = lots of sawing back and forth just to stay straight.

Now that the tanks are dumped, address a sewer smell in the bathroom (toilet flange gasket? roof vent issue?)

Totally rebuild under-bed appliances/utilities. Hot water, bedroom heaters, etc. Part of this is also rebuilding/re-enabling the chassis heat system.

Once I'm 100% done the genset install I'll put up a more detailed post with pics/etc of that process.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	PXL_20220917_221527702.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	82889