Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-06-2016

Default New Parts In, Still No Heat

Howdy.
Jack and friend installed new circulation pump and hoses in our Webasto heater. BUT the pump is not getting any coolant to it. We have a 1993 Wanderlodge. Some questions: 1. How much coolant does the bus hold?
I am attaching photo of hoses. The bottom one (orange text) is the one that is supposed to bring the coolant to the pump (the men tell me). Well, they said nope, no flow. Any ideas?

Liz Pearce
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NO FLOW TO PUMP.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	193.0 KB
ID:	46189  
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-06-2016

I doubt anyone can tell you how much coolant your system uses. That was not the original heating system. On the one I installed it took about 4 gallons.

You can buy a large capacity pump and 5 gallon bucket to pump a lot of coolant into the system. We used one Randy had. It moved more than enough coolant. You could use air pressure to move the coolant to the pump.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-06-2016

Thank you for your reply, Rick.
You wrote:"

On the one I installed it took about 4 gallons."

Did you install a Webasto Scholastic heater? That is what is in this Wanderlodge. (It has been a very long day. smile)

Liz
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-06-2016
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Liiz, the Scholastic an 2010 are very similar. But as Rick stated, the pumps are not self priming. They must be in water. Get the system full and bleed all air.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 12-06-2016

Liz, Like Mallie posted it is a DBW 2010 Webasto. Its use in many different apps. get some coolant in there.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-07-2016

Jack

When I did my Hurricane I used a spare 12v water pump with 3 approx 4' garden hoses. 1/2" PVC pipe and band clamps used to join the coach hoses to the garden hoses. Getting all the air out of the system was critical. Circulate-flush with straight water till the bubbles stopped, then introduced boiler fluidi. Used 4-5 gal boiler fluid. However, had additional 1-2 gal ready for flushing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0439.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	194.3 KB
ID:	46192  
Old 12-07-2016

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
Liiz, the Scholastic an 2010 are very similar. But as Rick stated, the pumps are not self priming. They must be in water. Get the system full and bleed all air.
Thanks for your reply, Mallie. I am a real novice at this. So I have questions - 1. "Get the system full" Jack puts the coolant in the coach at that little door that is up above the engine door. Not really sure how much to put in. ?
-2. "Bleed all air" How do I do that?

Thanks,
Liz
Dhanis, TX
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-07-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandLiz View Post
Thanks for your reply, Mallie. I am a real novice at this. So I have questions - 1. "Get the system full" Jack puts the coolant in the coach at that little door that is up above the engine door. Not really sure how much to put in. ?
-2. "Bleed all air" How do I do that?

Thanks,
Liz
Dhanis, TX
Liz, The engine system and the Webasto system are not tied together. Don't share the same liquid. Nothing you add to that little door above the engine with get to your Webasto. Your going to have to add coolant to the hoses that attach to the pump you replaced. Not easy but not impossible. A couple have posted about a bucket and a high volume pump. Maybe Jack needs to talk to someone about how to do this.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 12-07-2016

Liz - Look at picture I posted above. Different model coach & heater but should give you an idea of how flush is done. Your heater owners manual should give basic instructions about the process. Leaving any air in the closed loop system will cause problems. Agree with Rick. Project like this is for the serious DIYers only. Might be time to break out the credit card. Good luck with it.
Old 12-07-2016

Do you have a coolant tank next to the engine coolant overflow tank? Thats what was original in the '93's. In fact there were 2 tanks, one for each primus loop.

Maybe some photos of what you have would help...

It is hard to bleed the air out of these systems, a circ pump, bucket and lots of coolant is the best way. Not that big a deal, but does take time to flush all the air out.

/Joe

'93 WB40, Alligator - Sold
Sedona, AZ
Still having fun- even though the the BlueBirds Away!