Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 03-22-2017

Default To DDEC, Or Not to DDEC

Hello Folks, newb here trying to get y'alls take on Detroit Diesels DDEC system.
I'm looking to buy a Wonderlodge PT with the 8V92. My brief research tells me that would be a 38 or 40 foot, and model years 1986 thru 1994.
In searching this site I was not able to locate a thread devoted to this topic, but I suspect that the learned members of this board will have some good input. Pro and Con, it's all good.
My inclination is to pursue the strictly mechanical 2 stroke (MYs 86 & 87), as opposed to the electronically controlled units.
My reading suggests that: 1) The decades old design of this mechanical wonder has preformed admirably for many years without a computer. 2) The electronic control was only added for emissions reasons, and did little if anything to improve performance. And 3) Some versions of DDEC were in fact problematic (I & III?). True?
Dedicated diesel engine sites around the web seem to be all over the map on this topic, and in my observation, rather negative in their opine of Detroit's 2 stroke offerings in general.
So what say the actual owners of these power plants, and members of this forum.....DDEC or no?
Thanks for your input.
Robert Murdock
Old 03-23-2017
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Troit View Post
Hello Folks, newb here trying to get y'alls take on Detroit Diesels DDEC system.
I'm looking to buy a Wonderlodge PT with the 8V92. My brief research tells me that would be a 38 or 40 foot, and model years 1986 thru 1994.
In searching this site I was not able to locate a thread devoted to this topic, but I suspect that the learned members of this board will have some good input. Pro and Con, it's all good.
My inclination is to pursue the strictly mechanical 2 stroke (MYs 86 & 87), as opposed to the electronically controlled units.
My reading suggests that: 1) The decades old design of this mechanical wonder has preformed admirably for many years without a computer. 2) The electronic control was only added for emissions reasons, and did little if anything to improve performance. And 3) Some versions of DDEC were in fact problematic (I & III?). True?
Dedicated diesel engine sites around the web seem to be all over the map on this topic, and in my observation, rather negative in their opine of Detroit's 2 stroke offerings in general.
So what say the actual owners of these power plants, and members of this forum.....DDEC or no?
Thanks for your input.
Robert Murdock

NO! Actually, I've never owned a Wanderlodge with a Detroit BUT I have owned an '82 GMC 40' RTS bus conversion with a DDEC II. The DDEC, as you stated, was added for EPA purposes and de-tuned to 188hp. In fact, I could not get anyone around here to reprogram the darn thing for fear of fines & penalties for tampering with an EPA device in Maricopa county!

A one year older bus with the same 6v92 but mechanical could easily (and cheaply) be tuned to 350hp! Another one of those.. if I had only done more research BEFORE I bought the bus!

Anyway, that's my opinion (says the CAT owner)
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 03-23-2017

They sound great going under overpasses
Old 03-23-2017
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Troit View Post
Thanks for your input.
Robert Murdock
I think you could get advantages and disadvantages on both sides of this question. I would not reject a potentially good coach based on concerns either way. We have a world of knowledge on all models of the Wanderlodge.
If there is a problem, someone has probably had it and solved it.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 03-23-2017

Ya pays yur money and ya takes yur choice
As far as performance & DDEC is concerned - don't let that be your deciding factor.
All Bluebirds were built RIGHT - the best of everything available any the time - cost cutting did not enter into the picture.
Any mechanical or DDEC engine will treat you in the same manner as you treat it . If you abuse it or the wife, either one will say goodbye
I owned an '89, 8V92, DDEC 1 for several years - no complaints.
Now have a series 60 with DDEC - again no complaints.
Remember you will be limited to a narrow body coach if you choose a mechanical engine
Buy the best only you can find. Don't cheap out
* * * CHEAP COACHES AIN'T CHEAP * * *
Ya pays yur money and ya takes yur choice
All this advise is worth exactly what you paid for it
Happy hunting
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 03-23-2017
Forum owner

Non computer 92 series coachs in wanderlodges were in models 1982-1989.
PT means Pusher Tag,the PT model is a narrow body coach,and they had mechanical 92 series engines in them.

WB means Wide Body,its 102'' wide and had the electronic 92 series engine.

While Mike Putz has good info its not good info as far as a wanderlodge goes.

I find it interesting in groups of men larger than 2,and on internet sites that there is so many experts on diesel engines.

I also find it interesting how men talk smack about Detroit Diesels,Cummins,Cat and every other brand ever built,when in truth most of these men have never owned the brand engine they are talking about!

Theres lots of us here that have driven/owned 92 series Detroit engines in trucks and in wanderlodges.

First of all,anybody that replys to this thread should have first hand information (owned a 92 series Detroit Diesel)not some info from their sisters hairderssers friends yardman.

2nd of all,most owners of the 92 series engines can't work on the mechanical engine,mush less the electronic engine,so what does it really matter which one you have?

If you read on this site you will not find many issues ,the problems we have is when an engine overheats or the batteries are dead or the racor gauge is sucking air.
One thing you will read online is how bad these engine leak oil,not true.
The 53 series and the 71 series did leak oil,but the 92 series is not bad at all in that regard.
And we are talking 92 series here.

If you want a narrow body coach (nothing wrong with that) then you will end up with a mechanical engine,because thats what they had in them.

But if you want a wide body coach,your going to end up with an electronic engine.

Buy the best coach you can buy with the money you have to spend.
Heres a couple of rules:
when you buy used you don't get to pick color.
When your driving down the road in your wanderlodge you will never know what engine is in the back doing the work!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 03-23-2017

I find it interesting in groups of men larger than 2,and on internet sites that there is so many experts on diesel engines.

I also find it interesting how men talk smack about Detroit Diesels,Cummins,Cat and every other brand ever built,when in truth most of these men have never owned the brand engine they are talking about!

First of all,anybody that replys to this thread should have first hand information (owned a 92 series Detroit Diesel)not some info from their sisters hairderssers friends yardman.

2nd of all,most owners of the 92 series engines can't work on the mechanical engine,mush less the electronic engine,so what does it really matter which one you have?

If you read on this site you will not find many issues ,the problems we have is when an engine overheats or the batteries are dead or the racor gauge is sucking air.
One thing you will read online is how bad these engine leak oil,not true.
The 53 series and the 71 series did leak oil,but the 92 series is not bad at all in that regard.
And we are talking 92 series here.

Good reply, Randy. Just like with Harley Davidson engines. The Panhead was designed to use breather oil to lube the primary chain. They did leak. That was the design. Later model engines did not leak if they were properly assembled. That is the case with Detroit diesels too. If you assemble these engines properly with factory torque values, all fasteners clean and the threads clean the fasteners go into, with factory gaskets and procedures, they are not going to leak. Shoddy assembly procedures to make a flat rate time by mechanics in a hurry can ruin an engine's reputation the same as operators not watching temperature gauge or pressure gauge. Just sayin'.

Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 03-23-2017
Old Guy

Randy just gave you the best advice. He does have some experience in this matter. Just quit trying to over think the issue. Just buy the best coach you can find.
314-378-9882
Old 03-23-2017
Campground Owner

I understand that the DDEC units get a little better mileage. My DDEC (I) has performed well. Only issues are wiring connectors becoming corroded. My transmission suffers from that occasionally, also. I have purchase DDEC test equipment, sometimes paying to much, and spare old DDEC ecm's (there are two in the DDEC (I) system). These purchases have not really helped me, and are unnecessary, but I like having the tools and parts available.
www.xcreekrv.com
35°31'08.6"N 83°03'38.8"W
Old 03-23-2017

I had 1994wb. found a few oil leaks on 8-92 fixed them and and drove it for 3 years,,, liked the 8-92 and had no issues and no more leaks ,,, I still go visit the coach now and again mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.