Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 05-30-2018

Default Kohler 12.5kw will not stay running.

The Kohler/Yanmar 12.5kw in my 86 PT38 will not stay running after start switch is released. The fuel shut off solenoid will return to off position. I don’t think it is making any AC power. The fan does not run and the gauges on upper dash do not move when engine is started. I disconnected the oil pressure and overheat switches and no difference. What should I look for to check for AC power? I have read that there are some issues with voltage regulators. Is that common with this particular unit? The previous owner ran it the day I picked it up earlier this month. When I got home, the generator compartment was full of loose insulation. I don’t know if this could have affected anything. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-30-2018
Forum owner

No power to the meters on the upper dash has always meant (to me) that the regulator was bad.
They do fail,but not too often.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-30-2018

If it is the regulator I may have a new one. Wound up changing the head on mine.
2003 Jeep Rubicon
Old 05-31-2018

I thought that the not staying running was a bad ice cube relay. I don't know that that would affect making AC though.
Old 05-31-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
I thought that the not staying running was a bad ice cube relay. I don't know that that would affect making AC though.
Could be a bad relay but also think about it from a different prospective, without the 120 VAC, the Control Relay (CR) doesn't work.

Note: Out of round slip rings and broken brush wires also caused loss of AC voltage on those 12.5 Kohlers.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 05-31-2018

The first thing I would do is run the generator drawer out, crawl under to get to the back of the generator, and pull the sheet metal cover off. There is a glass fuse that is in line on one of the wires that is known to blow sometimes. While your under there check your wires and connections. You can also check the condition of your brushes and slip rings. Did you get a Kohler manual in the blue box when you bought the bus?
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry
Old 05-31-2018

Thanks for all the replies. I will look further into the fuse and wiring, check the brushes and slip rings. I do have the manual but just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing something obvious. I work a long day today, so probably won’t be looking at this until tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chris
Old 05-31-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Ridley View Post
The first thing I would do is run the generator drawer out, crawl under to get to the back of the generator, and pull the sheet metal cover off. There is a glass fuse that is in line on one of the wires that is known to blow sometimes. While your under there check your wires and connections. You can also check the condition of your brushes and slip rings. Did you get a Kohler manual in the blue box when you bought the bus?
Kevin, Where is the glass fuse located? This evening I removed the cover on back of generator. I didn’t see any fuse, but I did find one of the brushes worn to about 1/8”. The other is about 3/8”. The slip rings appear to be smooth and flat. I did not check them for out of round though. The manual states that an arcing brush may cause voltage regulator failure. This may have been the case since the brush is worn so thin. I think I may start with a set of brushes and a voltage regulator. Does anybody have part numbers for these? Any recommendation on where to get parts?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 06-01-2018

Chris,
Be sure to replace the brush holder when you do the brushes. They are known to be cracked. And.....be prepared for $500 to $600 for the regulator. Just looked into this last year when I replaced my entire genset.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 06-01-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Kevin, Where is the glass fuse located? This evening I removed the cover on back of generator. I didn’t see any fuse, I think I may start with a set of brushes and a voltage regulator.

Thanks,
Chris
The fuse is there. If it's never been checked before it will still be wrapped in tape, it looks like a blob of tape on one of the wires. Unwrap the tape and you Weill find the fuse.
Before throwing money at the regulator I would go through the troubleshooting section of the manual and make sure there are no other issues. I went through this a couple of years ago and found that it wasn't the regulator but a bad stator.
Follow our travels at:
ampersandgemandjewelry