Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 04-17-2019
The Camel Caravan

Default Kubota/Powertech generator questions, won't stay running

Hi-- My 15kw Powertech/Kubota generator suddenly won't stay running after start. As long as I hold down the Start switch, the Kubota will start and stay running but as soon as I release the button the engine stops.

Some other forum posts talk about a bad relay that can be bypassed to cure the issue. I assume the relays are in the box I see on top of the generator but I can't get to the box. My power tray seems to work ok but it does not extend enough to be able to see in the box. Is there something wrong with my tray? Can I manualy pull the tray out further?

On the front wall of the driver side front compartment, next to the generator, is a large electrical box. Is that for the generator?

Any help about would be greatly appreciated.
1993 Wanderlodge WB40
Old 04-17-2019

Yup that relay should be in the generator fan bay under the driver. If yours is like mine it is the box with the start/stop and the tray in/out switches.
<< Post on the relay >>

You might want to also check that the fuel return valve is open one quarter turn per the manual. Apparently if that is shut off entirely you can end up with some pressure problems that will stall the engine. https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ead.php?t=2617

Good luck, and remember I am definitely not a professional.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PTS-15-25_OPERATORS_MANUAL.pdf (473.8 KB, 23 views)
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 04-17-2019
The Camel Caravan

Default Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi3 View Post
Yup that relay should be in the generator fan bay under the driver. If yours is like mine it is the box with the start/stop and the tray in/out switches.
<< Post on the relay >>

You might want to also check that the fuel return valve is open one quarter turn per the manual. Apparently if that is shut off entirely you can end up with some pressure problems that will stall the engine. https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...ead.php?t=2617

Good luck, and remember I am definitely not a professional.
Thank you big time! That makes much more sense then where I thought it was. I'll check on the relay and the fuel return tomorrow.
1993 Wanderlodge WB40
Old 04-17-2019

How’s the generator battery? Years ago my geny battery died, not completely but almost gone. Symptoms were exactly as you describe. New battery and problem fixed. On my coach the geny tray is powered by that batt also. That you’re also having problems with the tray argues for checking the batt.

Last edited by NoGas; 04-17-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2019

Holding down the run switch provides power to the fuel solenoid that allows fuel delivery from the injection pump, when you let go, the power to the solenoid is interrupted from the run switch but should now be supplied by the oil pressure cut of switch/sender, if the oil pressure is above 3lbs(?). If the sender is faulty or there is insufficient oil pressure, the power to the fuel solenoid is cut-off and the engine dies! The sender is located just above the starter and has 2 wires attached. Here is a link to the sender. https://www.powertechgenerators.com/...hutdown-switch
I think you should be able to check the sender by jumping the two wires together and see if it runs. One of them should have 12v.
There is also a high temp cut-off switch that stops the solenoid when it's too hot.
I think I'm correct on this, but please correct my thoughts if I'm confused!
Old 04-18-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mburmandds View Post
Holding down the run switch provides power to the fuel solenoid that allows fuel delivery from the injection pump, when you let go, the power to the solenoid is interrupted from the run switch but should now be supplied by the oil pressure cut of switch/sender, if the oil pressure is above 3lbs(?). If the sender is faulty or there is insufficient oil pressure, the power to the fuel solenoid is cut-off and the engine dies! The sender is located just above the starter and has 2 wires attached. Here is a link to the sender. https://www.powertechgenerators.com/...hutdown-switch
I think you should be able to check the sender by jumping the two wires together and see if it runs. One of them should have 12v.
There is also a high temp cut-off switch that stops the solenoid when it's too hot.
I think I'm correct on this, but please correct my thoughts if I'm confused!

Your dead on.
Plus low water can cause this too.
you may have to vent the front upper casting to get the air out.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-18-2019

Buddy's sob just had a similar issue. It was the run relay. Luckily his start, preheat and run relays were all the same so we just swapped the preheat in to the run and got him going. Don't know if it relates to this gen but figured its worth sharing in case it could.
Old 05-03-2019
The Camel Caravan

Default Update: issue fixed

Thanks for everyone's input. This was caused by the hold/stop solenoid. A new solenoid fixed the problem.

Here is a link to the solenoid I bought on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Blueview-sole.../dp/B079ZYTWM2

I did need to use the plunger and spring from the old solenoid for the new unit to get the proper throw distance and spring pressure.
1993 Wanderlodge WB40
Old 05-03-2019

Newer fuel selonids are two efforts in one package. The theory......The black wire is usually ground, red purple pink are usually run and white is usually lift. The red powers parts of the selonoid that does not have enough strength to lift the valve plunger but it will hold open a lifted valve. The white has major strength but draws too many amps and is not rated for continual duty. The operators initial key-on some how powers white momantary which draws many amps to lift the fuel valve. Then while the key is on, the red holds it open.

Looking for the cause of the muffed selonoid I check that the new noid drops power to the white after it starts. In your case it seems like the red is where the issue was. Would be nice to know if signal was dropped or low amp coil was muffed.