Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 01-25-2020

Default Magnetic Fuel Sensor

I have a fuel gauge on my 2000 LXi that part of the time reads normally and sometimes it will peg past full. If I have done this correctly, attached is a picture of my Rodchester fuel sensor. According to the patent number on the gauge, it is a magnetic pickup. That would mean to replace it would not mean replacing the float. Has anyone replaced theirs? I will call Rodchester Monday to see what I can find. Anyone sourced one lately?
Thanks,
Randy B
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F043A3E3-9216-456E-82A8-588FA1120E13.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	66018  
Randall.burdette@icloud.com
(540) 850-2206
Please use email or cell, do not PM
Old 01-25-2020
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy B View Post
I have a fuel gauge on my 2000 LXi that part of the time reads normally and sometimes it will peg past full. If I have done this correctly, attached is a picture of my Rodchester fuel sensor. According to the patent number on the gauge, it is a magnetic pickup. That would mean to replace it would not mean replacing the float. Has anyone replaced theirs? I will call Rodchester Monday to see what I can find. Anyone sourced one lately?
Thanks,
Randy B
Propane fuel?
Old 01-25-2020

The contact area of the sending unit needs cleaned up. First unplug the wires carefully and mark which wire goes where. (Or it will read backwards) Don't ask but I know . There is a phillips screw top and bottom of the sender unit. Remove it and try to clean the contacts and also where the wires connect. It may just have some dirt on the contact points. The sending unit is operated magnetically from a float inside the tank.
Had 81 FC35
937-407-0079
Old 01-25-2020

Thanks Allen,
I’ll give it a shot tomorrow and let you know how it comes out.

Randy B
(540) 850-2206
Old 01-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alever View Post
The contact area of the sending unit needs cleaned up. First unplug the wires carefully and mark which wire goes where. (Or it will read backwards) Don't ask but I know . There is a phillips screw top and bottom of the sender unit. Remove it and try to clean the contacts and also where the wires connect. It may just have some dirt on the contact points. The sending unit is operated magnetically from a float inside the tank.
No, it won't read backwards. It's a simple resistive sensor that is magnetically coupled to the float inside the tank. Ignore everything else I wrote, that was for a different tank!
Old 02-03-2020

I disconnected the two wires on the front of the sending unit, and removed the two screws holding the sending unit onto the front of the magnetic base. Cleaned the contacts and the sending unit itself, front and back. Reinstalled the sending unit. The cleaning resulted in no improvement on the fuel gauge response. So I called Rochester. I described the problem and they verified that it is a Rochester Magnetic Fuel Gauge. They needed the number on the side of the base unit at the 3 o’clock position. So with some brake cleaner and a mirror I was able to get the number which for my unit was M6244-586 095. They gave me the part number for the plastic sending unit which was PN 5677 S 02556P. Since they don’t sell to the public, they put me in touch with E Components (804) 462-5679 who had the part. It is $93.57 and should be here any day now. I’ll report the results when I get it.
(540) 850-2206
Old 02-16-2020

Installed the new part and it reads perfectly. After two fill ups I can say it seems to read very accurately.
(540) 850-2206
Old 02-16-2020

Good to know Randy...I have the same problem. I'll pull it to check the number
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 02-16-2020

Hi Kip,
You don’t have to pull anything to check the number. The number is embossed on the metal base that the plastic sending unit/guage sits in. Just use some break clean and clean the right side of the base unit and then with a mirror or phone camera, get the number off the metal base at the 3 o’clock position. If you go to pull the four screws out of the base, you will be pulling the float out of the tank and you don’t need to do that.
(540) 850-2206