Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 01-27-2020

Default Driving Instruction

It is time that my wife Dawn learns to drive our BMC and I'm gonna be the one to teach her. Almost had her talked into driving a school bus so she could practice with someone else's bus, but that's not going to happen.

Who here has helpful tips, tricks or any good stories about doing such a thing? We do have a solid marriage at this point and wish to keep it that way!

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 01-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthollis View Post
It is time that my wife Dawn learns to drive our BMC and I'm gonna be the one to teach her. Almost had her talked into driving a school bus so she could practice with someone else's bus, but that's not going to happen.

Who here has helpful tips, tricks or any good stories about doing such a thing? We do have a solid marriage at this point and wish to keep it that way!
Way to go Dawn.
Last fall when Sally said she wanted to take the coach out for a ride I was happy to hear that. For me sitting in the co-pilot was strange
I was not in control and from that seat those mail boxes look to be close to the road. All I can stay is stay calm and breath. Sally told me that I wasn't breathing when she was driving. She did a great job. Maybe she will want to drive on our next trip.
I am sure Dawn will do great.
1989 WB 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
Old 01-27-2020

I was once a driver trainer for a school bus company here in CT. I wish I had hung on to the training materials. (I made a career change in 1997 and never looked back).

I did find an online CT CDL handbook (concepts apply in any state of course) and this covers what I used to teach. We had a heavy emphasis on the 'static course' (or cone course) where the trainee would need to perform a series of maneuvers (offset backing, parallel parking, alley dock, etc) and they would get to know the reference points on the vehicle. This is near the end of the booklet, section 12. Here is the link:
https://driving-tests.org/connecticut/ct-cdl-handbook/

Of course you need a place to do this - do you have access to a large parking lot? (We used an abandoned park & ride lot w/ state permission).

If nothing else, the booklet itself might be a good read.

Good luck!

Marc Pease
New Haven, CT
1991 TC2000 (sold)
1982 FC35SB "Rollin' Old School"

marc@marcpease.com
Old 01-27-2020

I love my wife, but she has no business operating a motor vehicles. She has lots of talents, but driving ain’t one of them.
Old 01-27-2020

I would absolutely support my wife driving the bus but she doesn't want any part of that. Her only rule is that I am not allowed to drive tired. If your wife has an interest in driving support her completely and by all means sit in the right hand seat and be quiet. ( the quiet part is just self preservation )
Old 01-27-2020
Black Sheep Division

My wife had to learn on the job. When I got hurt, the only way I could travel was on the coach & I could not drive so she HAD to drive. She started locally on 4 lane rural highways until she was confident enough (more or less) to drive to Georgia. The one thing I learned was not to push her into doing something she was not comfortable with. I like to run 70+ MPH & she is happy with 50-55. She stops more than I would. I am pretty proud of her. She drove the trip 4 times when I couldn't.

TOM
Old 01-27-2020

Parking lot and cones. Then side streets for a day. Then the highway (not at rush hour). You not about to be able to take the wheel from her, so slow and study.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 01-27-2020

I'm sure Dawn will do fine and I think I'll be a patient enough co-pilot. We do have a CDL study book and will do some of the practical exercises.

It will be great if she becomes an excellent driver, but we'll be happy if she has just a basic understanding and can move it from the shoulder to the exit or off the top of me or??? Something we should all plan for but probably most neglect to do.

FMCA membership comes with the provision that FMCA will provide driver, fuel and $100 per day for expenses to get your motorhome and toad to your home should you be medically unable to drive and there are no other qualified drivers in your party. The replacement driver can be someone of your own choosing and FMCA will pay for that person to be transported to your location. Nice benefit.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)
Old 01-28-2020
Forum owner

driving a BMC 37 is like driving a pickup.
She will be fine.
Let someone else show her how to drive it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-28-2020

Are you coming to Vidalia?
I'll volunteer. It really is easy, Dawn, just dive in the pool without thinking about how cold the water is.
C
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 101k/22xx hours
1987 FC35 TMU/42xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others