Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 01-28-2020

Default Mechanical 8V92 in place of DDEC

First post for this lurker-turned-new-member

I have a 1993 Wanderlodge with the 500HP DDEC-2 8V92

My engine got water in it through the exhaust and has seized. I'm going to try filling it with Evaporust to see if I can get it to turn over but as of now it's stuck as a rock.

So in the meanwhile I'm contemplating a replacement.

Since it just about takes a paleontologist to find DDEC-2 parts anymore I'm wondering if I should go for a mechanical engine.

The DDEC-2 has generally worked well. I've had a few sensor issues which I was able to diagnose with a code reader. The only persistent issue I've had was low power at idle. I could not start from a standstill up a steep hill. Almost had to be towed out of a campground once, only on my third attempt I managed to crest the hill at like 2 mph with my foot to the floor. Once the turbo spooled up it got going. The turbo boost would max out around 22 psi.

What would it take to make a mechanical engine work properly?

1. I know the transmission controller is separate (Allison HT75x) but what does it need from the ECU? Throttle position for sure. Is there a mechanical TPS I can retrofit? Are the road speed and engine RPM sensors built into the transmission or do they come from the ECU?

2. What about the tachometer and speedometer? Do they need ECU or are they fed from separate sensors?

3. Throttle - seems that https://www.coachconversioncentral.com/airthrottle.htm would work. But what about cruise control. That is done by the DDEc. Has anyone figured out an elegant solution to make this work?

4. Anything else?
Old 01-28-2020
Forum owner

I guess your ears are burning?
Ha!
The guys have been watching the bus guy,whatever his name is?
Changing to a mechanical engine will not be impossible,but its not practical,or easy.
I would buy a used engine and put it in,DD2.
How did you get so much water in your engine?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 01-28-2020

I see my reputation precedes me

Well it just sat there. It had a problem with the battery bank. I kept a charger on it but despite that it was still prone to dying. I would start/drive it periodically and at one point when I turned the key the voltage would go to zero. I didn't want to spend the money for new batteries at the time. In highsight it may have been full of water already then. Probably a year ago.

I recently built the workshop you saw in the video. It has been really bothering me that the Wanderlodge was outside so that would be the first thing to go in. I bought new batteries and behold no amount of amps would turn the engine at all. That's when I figured out water had gotten into it and it was seized. Scott was in the area so I asked him to come take a look at it and, well you know the rest. He was quite frank in that he said I probably didn't need to be paying him and could probably do it myself. So, that's the plan. It will run again. It will just take time. I have a million projects..

I have done customizations before and they certainly add a lot of time and complexity. Just an exact replacement is probably the way to go. I already have a few leads on matching DDEC-2 engines. I found some 450-475HP mechanical ones , that would be my preference but I don't see it be worth the time.
Old 01-29-2020

Randy had mentioned in the “watching the grease monkey thread” about a wreaked Bird in MN that had a new or rebuilt engine in it, but he didn’t have time to track it down. That sounds like your best bet unless you can find another DDEC. Nice new building sorry for your bad luck with your bird. Gotta say your sons Jeep is my favorite of your vehicles, what the story on that.
Old 01-29-2020

Maybe this one?
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...463eEPYsU7Yx--
Old 01-29-2020

don't let someone unfamiliar with ddec's scare you off of them. best thing detroit ever did to the 2 stroke and imo you'd be a fool to go backwards. For the most part the engines are the same, you can buy any 8v92 and transfer what you need over to it. if i were you i'd take the opportunity and upgrade to a ddec iii/iv. or you can sell it to me
Old 01-29-2020

I was under the impression that the DDEC II was much more accessible and reparable than the DDEC I. Hope you get it going.
Old 01-29-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
I was under the impression that the DDEC II was much more accessible and reparable than the DDEC I. Hope you get it going.
it is. but that's not saying alot. ddec 2 stuff is still out there but ecms are getting harder and harder to come by. ddec 1 for me is a deal breaker but i'd gladly own a ddec 2. jussayin.
Old 01-29-2020

So........cut Scott loose?
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 01-29-2020

I think Scott cut himself loose on this one.
DDEC is not his thing.