Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 02-01-2020

Anything automatic, 33 years old, and 33,000 lbs is going to have a learning curve.

1. Come off throttle to reduce RPM below 1800.
2. Manually lock out top gears to prevent up shifting before desired
3. Floor it.

The goal is a balance of that magical 2100-2400 RPM range while watching temperatures.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 02-01-2020
Forum owner

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg4rrx View Post
Anything automatic, 33 years old, and 33,000 lbs is going to have a learning curve.

1. Come off throttle to reduce RPM below 1800.
2. Manually lock out top gears to prevent up shifting before desired
3. Floor it.

The goal is a balance of that magical 2100-2400 RPM range while watching temperatures.
Floor it!!!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-01-2020

Once you get some miles under your belt you'll learn the ZF tricks then it'll be something of the past. Dog gone Europeans stuff it's like a Jaguar the only real fix is a american-made implant
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 02-01-2020

Hahaha...

Good Ole Bird - 1980 FC35 250T

Rockpapa

Larose, LA
Old 02-03-2020

Very interesting comments, It is not programmed like a city bus, There was an update for kick down position because the average driver couldn't push hard enough the activate kickdown, that was an e-prom change and I am sorry to say probably no longer available, ZF has come a long way in electronic transmissions since the Ecomat, You do have a load sensor that needs to be adjusted properly, You also have the option when pulling a hill to manually lock it in a lower gear for pulling, D on the selector gives you all 5 gears which is overdrive, select 3 and it will not upshift past 4th gear, 1:1 gear ratio, If you have to drive full throttle and idle as a transit bus your load sensor is probably not adjust properly or the injection pump linkage on you engine is wore out, common problem with CAT, Im still around but don't visit this site to often, If there is a private message my e-mail might alert me, hope this helps the users that do not know me
Old 02-03-2020
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Very interesting comments, It is not programmed like a city bus, There was an update for kick down position because the average driver couldn't push hard enough the activate kickdown, that was an e-prom change and I am sorry to say probably no longer available, ZF has come a long way in electronic transmissions since the Ecomat, You do have a load sensor that needs to be adjusted properly, You also have the option when pulling a hill to manually lock it in a lower gear for pulling, D on the selector gives you all 5 gears which is overdrive, select 3 and it will not upshift past 4th gear, 1:1 gear ratio, If you have to drive full throttle and idle as a transit bus your load sensor is probably not adjust properly or the injection pump linkage on you engine is wore out, common problem with CAT, Im still around but don't visit this site to often, If there is a private message my e-mail might alert me, hope this helps the users that do not know me
welcome back Bob.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-03-2020
FC Owner. Master of Bus Tetris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
This is good info, the part numbers I have looked up don’t seem to coincide with any transit/commercial usage stuff floating around on the Internet. Re: ECU models etc.. I for one am very happy to hear that I shouldn’t drive this like a city tuned bus... I owned a mountain geared tc2000 and it wasn’t any fun just having a “switch” for a throttle. I will be investigating the Sensor adjustment ASAP.

Thanks!!

-Dennis (direct email please! dennis@wanderlodgeowner.com)
Hesperia, California

1987 FC31 “A Rare Bird”
(300HP 3208TA/ZF)

1983 FC35SB
(225HP 3208T/MT643/Jacobs Retarder/Cruisair

Towables:
2006 Liberty CRD
Old 02-03-2020

Randy

Highly unlikely you will find a 12 Volt AEM ECU for that coach on the internet, The part number would have to be exactly the same, who knows if it has the updated e-prom for kickdown without opening and checking number of e-prom, Bluebird has also had a major issue with voltage, they incorporated ZF into to many circuits which would reduce the current going to the transmission, I have corrected this issue in many Bluebirds, you can ask the forum, This programming has programed shift points based on RPM and Speed, ZF does not allow for incorrect shifting for protection. I hope your findings help you out, If not I could always check your coach for you through my company
Old 02-04-2020

On my way
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 02-04-2020
Tom Blackwell

Very interesting. My coach is the one that previously had water in the ECU container. Currently has plastic bag around the ECU and the unit has Bob's name on it. This one has been modified by adding a switch that causes the transmission to operate one gear less than it would normally-there is an additional input into the ECU. I need to bring out the TPS voltage to an accessible test point for checking the adjustment. It was way out when I aquired the coach and the injection pump has been out twice since. If the TPS voltage is not high enough, it will not downshift; even when lugging the engine. Before adjustment the engine rpm dropped to below 1500 going up a hill and there was no way to make it downshift.