Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-20-2020

At this point I will hold out until I can get more than 15k to start out with.
Thanks for your help!
Old 02-20-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Heres your wake up call.
An in frame rebuild in a S60 is $20,000
at 450,000 miles the allison may need work,they normally last about 400,000 miles in a tour bus.
Brakes,suspension,rear end.
All of that stuff has 450,000 miles on it,unless the service records say different.

I would start with something with way less miles,but its your ball game!
Randy.. thats probably 5-8k in parts and the rest is labor? Might be worth the gamble if he can handle the inframe.. If it was taken care of the engine would be good.. but sounds like it was not taken care of, based on the statement all detroits leak oil.. and then like you said the running gear etc.. depending on how it was taken care of..
I purchased a million mile bus.. but it already had a reliabilt engine in it and the running gear was not in bad shape.. and I only paid about 1/3 of the price of that red bus..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 02-20-2020

Good decision but $20k min + standard fix-it budget for a WL would be better. Using your “new” coach right away is a huge plus over DIY conversion. In the meantime, do a short road trip down to Picacho AZ State Park next weekend. Its a small get together. However, if Putz can get his “project” going you’ll have an opportunity to see everything from FC to M380 & a few in between.
Old 02-20-2020
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984Lodge View Post
Randy.. thats probably 5-8k in parts and the rest is labor? Might be worth the gamble if he can handle the inframe.. If it was taken care of the engine would be good.. but sounds like it was not taken care of, based on the statement all detroits leak oil.. and then like you said the running gear etc.. depending on how it was taken care of..
I purchased a million mile bus.. but it already had a reliabilt engine in it and the running gear was not in bad shape.. and I only paid about 1/3 of the price of that red bus..
Yes,a million mile bus,if its been cared for.
PTO and pump
Rad
CAC
Fan motor
has any of that been serviced?
History or low price,thats the deal.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-20-2020

I have seen some nice schoolie and tour bus conversions but they are ALWAYS someone elses project and never really completed. Just gutting the interior and adding a genny and air conditioning plus plumbing and you will be pushing the price of a 80's -90's 40' wide body that was built right to start with. 451,000 is a LOT of miles for a schoolie even if it has a Detriot . Most Wanderlodges fall into the 75,000 to mile 200,000 range and can be had for 40 to $70,000. I did strip a 92 Bluebird schoolie and just getting rid of all the seats became a big job.The windows are a job also to get rid of and painting over them is tacky. Do yourself a favor and buy a Wanderlodge and put your time into making it yours! I have NEVER regretted it.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 02-20-2020

You can find them in all sorts of condition. Usually ones in that price range have lots of bad things going on inside or mechanically. Last year one turned up (a Wanderlodge) for a little more than that. Inside was chewed up. The thing was the new owner did the oil, new tries and batteries and drove it up the eastern seaboard to the NE. Mechanically it was in good shape. I think it had around 100K on the clock. Not close to half a million miles. Mine had 75,000 on it. Now those deals don't usually lay around. We have a section here where we find coaches on Craig s list, Ebay, and lots of other odd places. Some are done and that's a shame. I listen to Randy. That coach is used up. Hang out on here for a few months and I bet one will turn up. We just had a pink (that is a joke, but not far from it) that went for something like 20,000$ It was in good shape, won't take a lot to get her back on the road and in luxury. Built right (not saying anything bad about what you want to do). Have you had a chance to actually look at one up close and in person? Once you get a load of that these things have inside and out I feel you will see what I mean. 25 years ago I would go to the lot of a luxury coach dealer and look at the Wanderlodges and other big name coaches and just swoon. As it was, in my case a loved one passed on and remembered me in her will. I went out on my own and found one that 18 years ago was close to 3/4 of a mil. I got it for less than 100Gs. I wish i had went in with these guys as I got one in okay shape, but wish I had waited and found a better one. In many cases, one of us will try to help if you find one cross county and need a local to lay eyes on it before you fly and buy. Mine, I done the work and it added 20,000 but I got something special with tons of bells and whistles that should last long enough for me to see the country.
2003 Wanderlodge 40LX
Body# F133835
Old 02-21-2020

Building a bus now for a shoe. Got a low 250,000 mile charter for 30 g and will put in another 30 as and will have a 25,000 bus when done. You would be wise to pick up that 99 on Randy's bbb and be done. But I understand the need to do a project
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200112_100826.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	199.1 KB
ID:	66420  
Old 02-21-2020

All sound advice. I won't be getting the red bus as much as I like the look of it as a foundation. What does it cost to paint a bus these days anyway?
Old 02-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesaAZGuy View Post
All sound advice. I won't be getting the red bus as much as I like the look of it as a foundation. What does it cost to paint a bus these days anyway?

Buy my 1987 PT38. New paint, tires two years old. Click on https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/...076263097.html

I'm 360 miles from Mesa.

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 02-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MesaAZGuy View Post
Most quotes I have received lately are in the $30k range
Cape Cod,ma