Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Craigs List, Ebay, Coaches and other Finds

Craigs List, Ebay, Coaches and other Finds Other Coaches or anything else you have found for sale that others here might want to know about.

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
If you can bring a cashier's check for $27k you can also get the cash.

And the cops may take it...

Link

We did a bank wire transfer when we bought our Bird, the seller refused a cashiers check...

Good Ole Bird - 1980 FC35 250T

Rockpapa

Larose, LA
Old 02-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ole Bird View Post
And the cops may take it...

Link

We did a bank wire transfer when we bought our Bird, the seller refused a cashiers check...
I bought a CNC machine in Florida and brought a copious amount of cash with me on that deal, too. I flew down there with it jammed into my laptop bag, which never left my grasp until the xray machine. The TSA peeps took me aside to inspect it once they saw it on the xray. No problems at all, and they wanted to make sure I could see it the whole time, which I'm sure they didn't need to do. They also went out of their way to make sure the other passengers had no idea what was in it.

The only problem with cash I have is the tiny banks around here never have enough on hand. I have to order it before I need it if it's over about $10k.
Old 02-21-2020

I’m all for cash, but if I have to fly across the country, I will not carry 30k in cash on me, because you could get mugged in the airport restroom. Or, if you had to take an Uber from the airport, you could get robbed. If we make the deal, my bank will then transfer the money to the seller’s bank. It won’t take long if you have already given your bank a heads up of what’s going down. When the seller sees that the money is in his account, I drive off the with the bill of sale and Title in hand.

Kent & Pearl Glover
1985 FC-35RB "Wild and Wanderful"
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Email: juballer22@gmail.com

Last edited by Birdman9096; 02-21-2020 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Off topic comment
Old 02-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman9096 View Post
I’m all for cash, but If I have to fly across the country, I will not carry 30k in cash on me, because the airlines will not me take my 2 bodyguards (smith & wesson) with me. You could get mugged in the airport restroom. Or, if you had to take an Uber from the airport, you could get robbed. If we make the deal, my bank will then transfer the money to the seller’s bank. It won’t take long if you have already given your bank a heads up of what’s going down. When the seller sees that the money is in his account, I drive off the with the bill of sale and Title in hand.
That doesn't work with regular people most of the time. Especially for these things, which in my case I was in competition with. When I bought mine I took the Amtrak specifically so I could "guard" my goods. No, I didn't check the gun, and no, nobody asked if I had one.
Old 02-21-2020
FC Owner. Master of Bus Tetris.

Truth is, most private parties (rightfully so) will refuse a cashiers check, certified check, money orders(yikes!), and personal checks... all three birds I have purchased were private party, and they all traded nicely for $100 bills. Usually acquired at the closest available bank branch to the seller after a deal is struck.

Flip side is if you buy anything from a dealership, they want anything but cash. Used a “counter check” for the camper. Mailed “Bank check” for the truck, “cashier’s check” for an SOB years ago, personal check for a Prius lol

It’s all trust, it’s all assigned value. Just gotta use the right tool for the job. Ideally the least liability on both ends is best. IMHO: Direct cash to buyer at the bank in trade for title and keys after a successful inspection and negotiation.

-Dennis (direct email please! dennis@wanderlodgeowner.com)
Hesperia, California

1987 FC31 “A Rare Bird”
(300HP 3208TA/ZF)

1983 FC35SB
(225HP 3208T/MT643/Jacobs Retarder/Cruisair

Towables:
2006 Liberty CRD

Last edited by DFB052686; 02-21-2020 at 11:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman9096 View Post
It won’t take long if you have already given your bank a heads up of what’s going down. When the seller sees that the money is in his account, I drive off the with the bill of sale and Title in hand.

We were prepared just as you said with our bank having a "heads up" and they still said it could take up to 72 hrs for the transaction to be completed...

Good Ole Bird - 1980 FC35 250T

Rockpapa

Larose, LA
Old 02-21-2020
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Be aware that there’s plenty of counterfeit cash, counterfeit gold coins and counterfeit gold bullion floating around out there!
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 02-21-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Ole Bird View Post
We were prepared just as you said with our bank having a "heads up" and they still said it could take up to 72 hrs for the transaction to be completed...
I guess things are different with different institutions. My wife did the transaction at our credit union, and it took around 2 hours for the seller to see that he had it in his bank.

Kent & Pearl Glover
1985 FC-35RB "Wild and Wanderful"
Tampa, Fl
(813) 454-6347
Email: juballer22@gmail.com
Old 02-21-2020
FC Owner. Master of Bus Tetris.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird01 View Post
Be aware that there’s plenty of counterfeit cash, counterfeit gold coins and counterfeit gold bullion floating around out there!
Another reason I like cash at the bank itself. They can run it through their counterfeit machine before handing it off. Or even run your buyer's cash through before a deal is inked just as a cya.

-Dennis (direct email please! dennis@wanderlodgeowner.com)
Hesperia, California

1987 FC31 “A Rare Bird”
(300HP 3208TA/ZF)

1983 FC35SB
(225HP 3208T/MT643/Jacobs Retarder/Cruisair

Towables:
2006 Liberty CRD
Old 02-21-2020

Here is my bus buying experience.

I also brought a cashier's check for for the bulk of the money and 10k in cash for the "variable" part. We negotiated the price down a little so I gave the seller the cashier's check and most of the 10k. I didn't actually take the bus that day, as we were about to go out of town for a few weeks and the PO was generous enough to let us leave the bus there until we returned.

Well, the PO called me the next morning to tell me that his bank would not take the cashier's check as they suspected that it could be fraudulent. He told them that he still had the bus and would have it for weeks longer, but they still wouldn't take it.

So, I had to drive down a couple of hours to meet the PO. Luckily there was a branch of my credit union about half way between us, were we deposited the original cashiers check and had them generate a new one which his bank accepted. Apparently standing in the bank when they issue the cashiers check made his bank feel better.

I did some googling after, as I was surprised about his bank not taking the cashiers check, and read enough to know to NEVER accept a cashiers check. Use cash or walk into a bank.

Diego
Closed Thread