Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 02-24-2020

Default Before calling for a Wrecker. Call an Allison Shop

If you find that your transmission stops and you are on the side of the road or at an intersection and just can't go.

Instead of a wrecker, Call an Allison Transmission shop.

They may/should be able to hook up to the computer and put the transmission in a limp mode or 5th to get it to a shop or just off the road.

After having some work done @ the below info, He mentioned this and thought I would pass it on.

Progressive Power Products
4062 North Liberty Street
Jacksonville FL 32206

Attn: Larry
904-354-1819

I don't know if it works with all Allison's or not, but for the HD4060 it works. Just for you knowledge
214-701-3419 cell. Eastern Time
Hilton Head Island SC
Hilton Head Island Motorcoach Resort
Old 02-25-2020

great info Sean
hope i never need it but good to know
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 02-25-2020

If I can, I’d like to add some perspective to this conversation. I recently had Allison problems on my 84.5 PT36.

Since WW Williams closed their shop in Albany, GA, I went to the current Allison repair facility, Four Star Trucking. In a week, and with an $800+ diagnostic bill, they weren’t able to help me. The wanted to replace the entire unit, without any real good reason to do so (I had a bad leak).

I went directly to WW Williams in Atlanta hoping for better service and after a week, I was out another chunk of change and they only offered to replace the transmission and retarder with a rebuilt unit. More $.

Then Randy sent me the name of a guy in Jacksonville. Larry at Progressive Products. He was the only one who actually took the time to diagnose. Turned out there was NOTHING WRONG with the transmission/ retarder. It was a badly leaking rear seal. Larry fixed me up with a reasonable charge and I am totally satisfied.

Do yourself a favor, and if your old obsolete Allison needs repair, Progressive Power Products comes with a strong recommendation and a debt of gratitude from me.
Old 02-25-2020
Forum owner

I have spent a few minutes with Larry on the phone,ok,more like 40 minutes.
Hes a good guy,an honest to god good guy.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-25-2020

What do you do when you take your vehicle in and the can’t fix the problem and still charge a chunk. I understand they are spending time on it but to come up with no solutions or to screw it up more ? I’ve had that issue with two generator shops, one the Cummins/Onan ship 2 a highly rated generator shop, I eventually fixed the issue myself and it wasn’t anything to drastic.

Just the cost of doing business and owning a Bird ?
Old 02-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stick Miller View Post
If I can, I’d like to add some perspective to this conversation. I recently had Allison problems on my 84.5 PT36.

Since WW Williams closed their shop in Albany, GA, I went to the current Allison repair facility, Four Star Trucking. In a week, and with an $800+ diagnostic bill, they weren’t able to help me. The wanted to replace the entire unit, without any real good reason to do so (I had a bad leak).

I went directly to WW Williams in Atlanta hoping for better service and after a week, I was out another chunk of change and they only offered to replace the transmission and retarder with a rebuilt unit. More $.

Then Randy sent me the name of a guy in Jacksonville. Larry at Progressive Products. He was the only one who actually took the time to diagnose. Turned out there was NOTHING WRONG with the transmission/ retarder. It was a badly leaking rear seal. Larry fixed me up with a reasonable charge and I am totally satisfied.

Do yourself a favor, and if your old obsolete Allison needs repair, Progressive Power Products comes with a strong recommendation and a debt of gratitude from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I have spent a few minutes with Larry on the phone,ok,more like 40 minutes.
Hes a good guy,an honest to god good guy.
It is extremely unfortunate for many people, but Stick's experience is becoming more common. Ask me how I know!!! It is also extremely rare and unfortunate that guys like Randy suggested are available to us these days, because those guys are becoming more rare by the day. I recall when I was a young man, guys like Randy's contact, were the rule. People actually provided value for the dollar that you spent with them. Today, forget it!!! We need to patronized guys like Larry and let them know we appreciate them. It is obviously not likely that someone like me would drive that far to get an issue fixed, but those that are snowbirds and go through that area on a regular basis, should stop by just for a check up if nothing else. I would sleep better knowing a guy like him gave me a green light that my transmission was ok. It is incumbent on all of us to keep guys like Larry on speed dial on our phones.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278

Last edited by isp2952; 02-25-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 02-25-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
What do you do when you take your vehicle in and the can’t fix the problem and still charge a chunk. I understand they are spending time on it but to come up with no solutions or to screw it up more ? I’ve had that issue with two generator shops, one the Cummins/Onan ship 2 a highly rated generator shop, I eventually fixed the issue myself and it wasn’t anything to drastic.

I found out there isn't a thing you can do. There is no law against incompetence. In my situation my first instinct was to go to the prosecutor and let hem know of the illegal practices of the mechanic that worked on my bus. I should have done it. Because of my legal background I knew he did some illegal stuff. Not necessarily the case in most situations. When my guy played a game with his insurance company to rip them off and I had the documented proof, I should have gone forward. But many on this forum thought I should give him the benefit of the doubt. So I let it go. Then a year later the work that he did was clearly incompetent and maybe an effort to rip me off too, but I will never know. If incompetence was illegal you can't imagine how crowded our prisons would be. Even civil proceedings are not in the cards in most cases, because nobody put a gun to our heads to take our issue to them.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-25-2020

Quote:

Tell everyone you know and never go back. Then live well, enjoying your 'bird.
Old 02-25-2020

It's not just a bird thing it's everywhere all the way down to incompetent Carpenters even
82 FC 33 250 left me for another
Sumner Wa.
Old 02-26-2020

Quote:

One thing you can do is to protest right then and there. I got several hundred dollars reduced from my original bill at Four Star. They knew they had done no good for me and, I suppose, felt a twinge of guilt.

I did not communicate with Allison, directly. I probably should have, but, in fairness, they told me up front that they no longer supported nor knew anything about my obsolete transmission. By that time, I was just tired of fooling with it.

I just don’t think it takes a genius (or multiple thousands of $) to diagnose a leaky seal.