Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-26-2020

Thanks fellas for all the great input. Jim, while the Bulletproof line appears pricey, it also looks very robust. I'm going with Bulletproof....thanks for the lead.
Jon
Old 02-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoote View Post
Thanks fellas for all the great input. Jim, while the Bulletproof line appears pricey, it also looks very robust. I'm going with Bulletproof....thanks for the lead.
Jon
I have never needed that much rise or drop. I had a Jeep that was lifted 4" with huge tires on it that I towed for several years and then went with my Silverado 2500 HD witch also has been lifted. From the trailer to now I have been able to make the adjustments necessary, with my set up. But what you are looking at I would think there would never be an issue for you to get the proper alignment. I also use a Blue Ox Patriot braking system. I set it on the lowest setting and never worry about the brakes coming on the towed and wearing them out. I have a dash mounted control that monitors if the brakes on the toad come on and allows me to increase the braking either automatically or manually. I am very happy with the set up. It is also versatile to be used in anything you are towing without a lot of hassle and set up.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 02-27-2020

I bought an auxiliary brake for $1500 and it malfunctioned in less than a week! Returned it, got my money back and that was last July, gone a across country since then and never felt the difference between having and not having an auxiliary brake!

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
Old 02-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
I bought an auxiliary brake for $1500 and it malfunctioned in less than a week! Returned it, got my money back and that was last July, gone a across country since then and never felt the difference between having and not having an auxiliary brake!
Have you ever considered the liability you are opening yourself up to, by not having a brake for the towed? You right most toads do just fine behind the bus without using a brake. But what happens when that towed isn't behind the bus anymore

So something breaks and your toad is passing you. It crosses the center line or median and hits somebody head-on. Do you think the guy that got hit won't have an attorney check to see if you had a brake on the towed and a break-away to activate it? I can guarantee they will. Your insurance may not pay off if you were so negligent and say it is on you. You could be holding the bag as they say. That $1500 will seem like pocket change by the time they get through with you. I know, I have seen it in person. I worked as an investigator for several attorney's after retiring from the state police. They will hose you.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 02-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Have you ever considered the liability you are opening yourself up to, by not having a brake for the towed? You right most toads do just fine behind the bus without using a brake. But what happens when that towed isn't behind the bus anymore

So something breaks and your toad is passing you. It crosses the center line or median and hits somebody head-on. Do you think the guy that got hit won't have an attorney check to see if you had a brake on the towed and a break-away to activate it? I can guarantee they will. Your insurance may not pay off if you were so negligent and say it is on you. You could be holding the bag as they say. That $1500 will seem like pocket change by the time they get through with you. I know, I have seen it in person. I worked as an investigator for several attorney's after retiring from the state police. They will hose you.
With all due respect I've read about more instances of screwed up braking systems for toads than any of them breaking loose and wandering off the road. The law is the law, you are supposed to have a braking system in almost every state so I'm not disputing it, but I think they are more dangerous than not having one at all. There's no good way to calibrate the things, or even really know if they are working. I would bet at least half of the ones out there right now aren't even working. Just like all the trailers with battery-powered breakaways with 15 year old batteries.
Old 02-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
With all due respect I've read about more instances of screwed up braking systems for toads than any of them breaking loose and wandering off the road. The law is the law, you are supposed to have a braking system in almost every state so I'm not disputing it, but I think they are more dangerous than not having one at all. There's no good way to calibrate the things, or even really know if they are working. I would bet at least half of the ones out there right now aren't even working. Just like all the trailers with battery-powered breakaways with 15 year old batteries.
No disrespect noted Andy. I am not arguing with anything you said. What I said was if you choose to go without one, then you are subjecting yourself to some liability. Nothing more nothing less. You roll the dice. I have not only seen toweds that have come loose and I know of at least two friends that have posted about a near catastrophe when their toweds came loose. So it does happen.

My system isn't foolproof. But it works for me. Not much danger of my brakes being applied needlessly and tearing something up on my truck and in case it should break away, I'm doing what I need to do to protect others. That is the key to keep you out of a mess. Due Diligence! Failing to to do that will be noted on a legal affidavit seeking remedy should someone get hurt or killed.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 02-27-2020

Ah yes then we agree.
Old 02-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Ah yes then we agree.
Yes

In post #32 I described my set up. I have a remote on the dash that monitors the towed's brakes. A light will come on indicating they are applied. There is a readout from 5 to 0 to set the Gain, by a dial, on both the unit in the truck and the remote on my dash. The remote, also has a lever to apply the brakes, if I want to override the system altogether, just as a trailer brake system would have. I generally have the Gain set on 1 so at least the brake lights come on when I apply them. Then of course it has the breakaway, which is the most important.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278
Old 02-27-2020

Jim, in thinking on that subject, suppose the breakaway does what it is suppose to do and your toad stops in the middle of an interstate, then gets hit from behind. Then what?
Old 02-27-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Jim, in thinking on that subject, suppose the breakaway does what it is suppose to do and your toad stops in the middle of an interstate, then gets hit from behind. Then what?
Your probably still liable, but maybe not as much. Your insurance company will most likely defend you where in the other situation they may cut you loose and you may be on your own. You insurance company may also try to make the case that the the vehicle that hit your towed may have been following to close or going to fast to avoid the collision. Tough situation either way, but I'll take my chances with showing I did everything I knew to do. There is never one clear answer or solution. The object is to mitigate your liability not aggravate it.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
260-224-1278