Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old 02-26-2020
JCoote JCoote is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Rogersville
Posts: 32
Default

Thanks fellas for all the great input. Jim, while the Bulletproof line appears pricey, it also looks very robust. I'm going with Bulletproof....thanks for the lead.
Jon
__________________
Jonathan Coote
Rogersville, PA
2000 LX 40
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-27-2020
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCoote View Post
Thanks fellas for all the great input. Jim, while the Bulletproof line appears pricey, it also looks very robust. I'm going with Bulletproof....thanks for the lead.
Jon
I have never needed that much rise or drop. I had a Jeep that was lifted 4" with huge tires on it that I towed for several years and then went with my Silverado 2500 HD witch also has been lifted. From the trailer to now I have been able to make the adjustments necessary, with my set up. But what you are looking at I would think there would never be an issue for you to get the proper alignment. I also use a Blue Ox Patriot braking system. I set it on the lowest setting and never worry about the brakes coming on the towed and wearing them out. I have a dash mounted control that monitors if the brakes on the toad come on and allows me to increase the braking either automatically or manually. I am very happy with the set up. It is also versatile to be used in anything you are towing without a lot of hassle and set up.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-27-2020
Shahin's Avatar
Shahin Shahin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Wherever the Bird Stops
Posts: 429
Default

I bought an auxiliary brake for $1500 and it malfunctioned in less than a week! Returned it, got my money back and that was last July, gone a across country since then and never felt the difference between having and not having an auxiliary brake!
__________________
Shahin Khosravi

1991 PT40WB
sskhosravi@gmail.com
www.coddiwomplers.org
650.653.1539
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-27-2020
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahin View Post
I bought an auxiliary brake for $1500 and it malfunctioned in less than a week! Returned it, got my money back and that was last July, gone a across country since then and never felt the difference between having and not having an auxiliary brake!
Have you ever considered the liability you are opening yourself up to, by not having a brake for the towed? You right most toads do just fine behind the bus without using a brake. But what happens when that towed isn't behind the bus anymore

So something breaks and your toad is passing you. It crosses the center line or median and hits somebody head-on. Do you think the guy that got hit won't have an attorney check to see if you had a brake on the towed and a break-away to activate it? I can guarantee they will. Your insurance may not pay off if you were so negligent and say it is on you. You could be holding the bag as they say. That $1500 will seem like pocket change by the time they get through with you. I know, I have seen it in person. I worked as an investigator for several attorney's after retiring from the state police. They will hose you.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-27-2020
badandy's Avatar
badandy badandy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: delavan
Posts: 3,044
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Have you ever considered the liability you are opening yourself up to, by not having a brake for the towed? You right most toads do just fine behind the bus without using a brake. But what happens when that towed isn't behind the bus anymore

So something breaks and your toad is passing you. It crosses the center line or median and hits somebody head-on. Do you think the guy that got hit won't have an attorney check to see if you had a brake on the towed and a break-away to activate it? I can guarantee they will. Your insurance may not pay off if you were so negligent and say it is on you. You could be holding the bag as they say. That $1500 will seem like pocket change by the time they get through with you. I know, I have seen it in person. I worked as an investigator for several attorney's after retiring from the state police. They will hose you.
With all due respect I've read about more instances of screwed up braking systems for toads than any of them breaking loose and wandering off the road. The law is the law, you are supposed to have a braking system in almost every state so I'm not disputing it, but I think they are more dangerous than not having one at all. There's no good way to calibrate the things, or even really know if they are working. I would bet at least half of the ones out there right now aren't even working. Just like all the trailers with battery-powered breakaways with 15 year old batteries.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-27-2020
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
With all due respect I've read about more instances of screwed up braking systems for toads than any of them breaking loose and wandering off the road. The law is the law, you are supposed to have a braking system in almost every state so I'm not disputing it, but I think they are more dangerous than not having one at all. There's no good way to calibrate the things, or even really know if they are working. I would bet at least half of the ones out there right now aren't even working. Just like all the trailers with battery-powered breakaways with 15 year old batteries.
No disrespect noted Andy. I am not arguing with anything you said. What I said was if you choose to go without one, then you are subjecting yourself to some liability. Nothing more nothing less. You roll the dice. I have not only seen toweds that have come loose and I know of at least two friends that have posted about a near catastrophe when their toweds came loose. So it does happen.

My system isn't foolproof. But it works for me. Not much danger of my brakes being applied needlessly and tearing something up on my truck and in case it should break away, I'm doing what I need to do to protect others. That is the key to keep you out of a mess. Due Diligence! Failing to to do that will be noted on a legal affidavit seeking remedy should someone get hurt or killed.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-27-2020
badandy's Avatar
badandy badandy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: delavan
Posts: 3,044
Default

Ah yes then we agree.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-27-2020
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
Ah yes then we agree.
Yes

In post #32 I described my set up. I have a remote on the dash that monitors the towed's brakes. A light will come on indicating they are applied. There is a readout from 5 to 0 to set the Gain, by a dial, on both the unit in the truck and the remote on my dash. The remote, also has a lever to apply the brakes, if I want to override the system altogether, just as a trailer brake system would have. I generally have the Gain set on 1 so at least the brake lights come on when I apply them. Then of course it has the breakaway, which is the most important.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-27-2020
patticake's Avatar
patticake patticake is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Ponchatoula
Posts: 1,788
Default

Jim, in thinking on that subject, suppose the breakaway does what it is suppose to do and your toad stops in the middle of an interstate, then gets hit from behind. Then what?
__________________
Steve Gureasko
90WBWL40 "Jus Chillin"
Ponchatoula,La.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-27-2020
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,623
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by patticake View Post
Jim, in thinking on that subject, suppose the breakaway does what it is suppose to do and your toad stops in the middle of an interstate, then gets hit from behind. Then what?
Your probably still liable, but maybe not as much. Your insurance company will most likely defend you where in the other situation they may cut you loose and you may be on your own. You insurance company may also try to make the case that the the vehicle that hit your towed may have been following to close or going to fast to avoid the collision. Tough situation either way, but I'll take my chances with showing I did everything I knew to do. There is never one clear answer or solution. The object is to mitigate your liability not aggravate it.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F C Curious? Bumpersbird FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) 21 08-18-2018 05:57 PM
being curious Marcelo Powter Blue Bird Models and Blue Bird History 3 02-25-2014 08:19 AM
oil use - curious inflt Engine 8 03-22-2012 10:58 AM
Curious jwasnewski Under The Awning 27 10-07-2010 11:56 AM
Just curious gcyeaw Engine 2 09-03-2008 09:23 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.