Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-25-2008

Years ago I had the high-speed blower gears installed by DD in Albany. Don't know how many HP was added, but what I do notice most is the pull of the line.

I've had a couple of worst case long pulls, without problems; going east out of Kingman it was 117 when I left and I passed a lot of cars, trucks and busses with overheat problems on the way to Flagstaff.

The other one is what many call 17 mile hill coming out of LA going to LV.

No problem with either of them. We tackled a 13% grade coming out of Dawson Creek, that was truly tough, not very long put I was really snorting, highest boost I've ever seen ~28 inches.

I love the HP, but that said, you're right, you have to know when to back off.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 08-25-2008

This seems pretty simple but it is a real problem for me. For one of the best engineered and better built coaches on wheels why the **** is there not enough room for my foot on the peddles?!!! When I drive my coach I drive it barefoot. I wear a size 13 sometimes 14 shoe. There have been times when I go to hit the brake I hit the accelerator too! **** near hit a car the other day in a parking lot, because we came back from the Colts game on the new Lucas Oil Stadium, and I didn't bother to take off my shoes. I started the coach, did my pre-take off check, and just started to leave. Almost a big mistake. Fortunately I wasn't so close that I could still make an adjustment and got the rig stopped. My heart was in my throat! I would love to change that peddle configuration to give me some room. I suppose the engineer that desinged that was from China and still thought foot binding was accepted. Not all people have such small feet. Too bad the rest of my equipment doesn't match my feet!

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 08-26-2008

I wish they had engineered it so parts would be easier to get to and replace!

For example, if the doors on the rear wall where an inch larger not only would it make loading the storage easier BUT you could R&R the water heater without removing the whole darn wall and get the breaker panel off without taking anything off.

Im sure there are more gotchas that I'll find...

'93 WB40, Alligator - Sold
Sedona, AZ
Still having fun- even though the the BlueBirds Away!
Old 08-26-2008
Gardner

For me the top priority on my 1983 FC 35 is to do something about the narrow space between the bathroom door knob and the end of the forward dinette seat. I keep hitting my hip on the door knob, or catching a belt loop, pocket, etc.

I would like to replace the latch with a flush mounted latch like on the closets and drawers, however, they are not designed to be worked from both sides. I need to peruse a lot of hardware catalogs to see what I can find.

I also would like to make the foreward dinette bench a little narrower. The carpentry is not a problem but it may take a while to work out the covering so it looks as good.

My wife suggested cutting a trap door on the bottom of the rear dinette seat to access the storage space under it. Laying down on the floor to reach/look into it is not an easy task.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-26-2008
Forum owner

Gardner,i seem to remember my old 84 having a flat paddle latch on the bathroom door.
and on the dinette,i have seen lots of dinettes cut down,,the tables are too wide,my fat belly hits the table,and they stick out into the aisle too far.
also,the corner of the seat nearest the door gets some wear on it,you can swap seats so the corner looks new again.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-26-2008
Gardner

Randy,
I did plan on cutting the table back a little. It will make it easier for us to pass each other in the kitchen area. My rear dinette bench is already wider than the front one, so swapping isn't an option. Here is a picture that kind of shows the relationship.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P6151871.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	657.0 KB
ID:	484  
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-26-2008

Jim , I am with you on that brake throttle deal. I also drive barefoot and make certain my barefoot is against the pedestal when applying the brake. Otherwise, it could be a real problem.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 08-26-2008
Gardner

Jim, Leroy,
Me three on the throttle-brake relationship. On the way home after purchasing my new coach I entered the Garden State Parkway exit from the New Jersey Turnpike. It is a long, tight 180 degree curve. I was stepping on the brake but seemed like I was not slowing down. As I wandered closer to the outside of the turn I finally realized my boot was pressing on the acellerator as well as the brake. Pretty scary if I do say so myself. I still find I have the problem even though I know enough to concentrait on the feel.

I haven't tried bare foot, but it seems like a good idea (assuming my feet don't smell too bad).
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 08-26-2008

Say Randy,
Know where I can get a flat paddle latch assembly (inside and outside) for my 84PT?
Also I drive with bedroom slippers on to stop the hitting gas pedal by mistake.
This also keeps my bare foot from picking up grease that might be on pedal from mech's working on coach.
Old 08-26-2008
Forum owner

my feet are size 14,i also have the problem.
the paddle latchs were used in airplanes too,i don't know where to get any.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com