Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-12-2013

Default Driving Lights AGAIN

My driving lights are acting up again. This time the problem is they will not swing down. If I manually push them from their stowed up position they come on just don't want to swing down on their own. I know they only work with the high beams on. What triggers the air pistons to activate? Always something.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-12-2013

John,

I have some of the same problems. I do not have any answers for you other than I have a driving light switch on the left dash by the tranny shifter which I believe must operate an air switch which then actuates the air ram which pushes the light down.

Then the high beam switch must turn the light on and off.

One of mine does not push the light open far enough to get the light to come on. The other does push it open for enough but the light still does not come on.

I think these are two different problems.

I have not had time to trouble shoot this so I will be watching your thread.

Thanks
Old 05-13-2013
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathew Reichert View Post
John,

I have some of the same problems. I do not have any answers for you other than I have a driving light switch on the left dash by the tranny shifter which I believe must operate an air switch which then actuates the air ram which pushes the light down.

Then the high beam switch must turn the light on and off.

One of mine does not push the light open far enough to get the light to come on. The other does push it open for enough but the light still does not come on.

I think these are two different problems.

I have not had time to trouble shoot this so I will be watching your thread.

Thanks
I am not certain but I would suspect that both lights need to be fully lowered before the power is applied to the filaments. It is probably two switches in series, one for each light housing, that must both be engaged before the lights can be energized.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-13-2013

FWIW - I don't no nuttin' bout nuttin' but me tinks air controlled by little Clippard valve - mounted behind front panel.
When fully extended light mechanism contacts micro switch to turn lights on.
Look for air leaks at Clippard and underneath at cylinder.
BTW I had to free my cylinders to get full travel. Road grime prevented full travel. A little MMO or WD helped.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 05-13-2013

If I push the lights down they will both light. Doesn't seem to have to be both down for them to work.

What activates the air ram? What triggers it? Mine just doesn't seem to want to even try. Is it electrical or air problem. Don't notice any air leaks.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 05-13-2013

John,
I was going to send you a schematic for the driving lights but I can't seem to find it. Misfiled it somewhere or possibly deleted it. Anyway I think the driving lights switch triggers the Clippard air valve which sends air to the cylinders. Lights lower - make contact with microswitch - lights come on. Simple huh? No not so simple -
Two separate functions? Dash switch only controls cylinder movement? Cylinder movement turns on lights when high beams are on?
No not so simple - I'm only guessing here but I assume the DR switch gets power from the high beam signal thru a relay. Wish I had that schematic
I intend to modify my DR setup to allow me to activate at will - independent of other lights. This may or may not be completely legal but I believe it work well in fog. Again - wish I had that schematic

You might want to check the AMP CPC (Amp circular plastic connector) under the shift panel if that is where your DR switch is located.
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 05-16-2013

John,

Our driving lights are doing the same thing - nothing. With all power off, if I crawl under and pull one light down against the spring, it will light, so there must be power to the circuit all the time, and there should be a mercury or contact switch someplace on the light that closes when the lights are down. When I flip the dash switch for the driving lights, I can hear an air valve somewhere in front exhaust some air.

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement lens for one of my driving lights? One of them is shattered.

Thanks,

Chris

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 05-16-2013
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskelodger View Post

Does anyone know where I can get a replacement lens for one of my driving lights? One of them is shattered.

Thanks,

Chris
Chris try this thread

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ad.php?t=15245
Old 05-16-2013

Thanks for the link Bill, but my driving lights are different, they are the big rectangular Hellas that swing down and have two bulbs in them. They must have swung up too fast and broke the lens on the driver's side.

Chris

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 05-16-2013

I want to throw this out there about the driving lights. On mine, the hinge had gotten a little rusty and it is the ground. Mr. George Morris fixed mine by adding a wire for a ground. Now they work. For what its worth.
1990 PT-40 Blue Thunder