Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 10-05-2008

Default Temperature gauge- engine problems?

We had a weird situation yesterday while driving from Little Rock to Bella Vista AR. Near Russellville on I-40 ( About half way and on a Sunday wouldn’t you know it) I noticed that my temperature gauge for coolant was registering about 220 degrees, when it normally reads about 190. I pulled off the road and turned off the headlights (it was raining lightly) and as soon as I did, the temp gauge went back to 190. I turned on the lights to check, and it started going up again. Trying this several times gave the same results. There was no change in the transmission fluid temperature.

So, I turned off the lights and headed back out on the road with the temperature gauge right at 190. and several miles down the road I saw the coolant temperature gauge moving down toward 150 degrees (it never runs down there. At this point I began thinking I had a bad gauge and should get it checked.

We stopped at a rest area to do the normal stuff, and as soon as I got back on the road, the bus started to just quit….no power. Luckily at that time we came up to an overlook, so I pulled in and the engine quit. I put it in Neutral, it started up and as soon as I put it in gear it quit again. At that point, thinking I was going to need a tow I checked out local garages. I told them I would either have Good Sam tow me in or try to let it sit awhile and limp pver (I was about 4 miles from an exit to turn around). After about an hour, I stated it up, put it in gear and headed for the Exit. It was running so well, I decided to keep on going to a larger city like Ft Smith where if the problem continued I might have more options. As it turned out we made it 140 miles to Bella Vista, our destination with no more problems. The entire time the temperature gauge sat on 190.

When I called the place I was going to so that I could explain why I wouldn’t be there, he suggested that I still have it hooked up to the computer somewhere to see the error code(s). I thought that was a good idea and had planned to do that anyway. He said it sounded like a timing sensor, and if it happened again, I could turn the key off and on about 10 times to erase the code and it would then run 6-7 miles at least. He said sometimes it would go 100-200 miles before happening again. (I thought that was interesting information to know). I never did mention the temperature gauge problems to him, since I couldn’t see how that would have made the engine quit. I guess the error code or codes that are in there will give me the details. I am going to try to get to Branson, MO for the Bluebird rally did some checking on the RV Service Review website (which I recommend). You can find it here

http://www.rvservicereviews.com/

I found that Branson Motor Coach got good reviews.

Any diesel mechanics in the crowd? Does anyone have any ideas based on what details I have presented here? Cross your fingers we can make it up to Branson.

Thanks for any ideas.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 10-05-2008
Forum owner

Lee,i'm guessing you have the 8.3 cummins engine.
i'm not to sure the 95 cummins is an electrnonic engine,so hooking it to a computer may not be possible.
does anyone know about the engine?electronic or not?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-05-2008
ANOTHER REDNECK

bet its a old style with mech pump

ground problem with gauge

my fc used to do that untill i found a loose ground cable

fuel filters with the run problem....

JMO
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 10-05-2008
Forum owner

i agree with woody.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 10-05-2008

Default Temp Gauge - engine problem

I was planning to take the top of the dash apart and look at the gauge wiring. Could that have caused the engine to quit? Is there some kind of automatic shut off somewhere hooked to the gauges?

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 10-05-2008

Default Fuel Filter problem?

I just reread and noticed Woody's comment on the fuel filter potentially being the reason the engine quit. I did go out when it happened and drain a little out of the fuel water separator, but didn't see much there. I have been running for the last 300 miles starting with a full tank from the Flying J with no fuel problems. I guess it would be simple (and cheap) to replace it and see.

Thanks,

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 10-06-2008
Senior

When ever you have a problem like that the first thing you do is look at the other gauges and see what they read. What did the voltmeter read for instance? Trying to find the problem now is about like finding a needle in a haystack.
Problem with most drivers is that they do not pay attention closely to their gauges and alarms. They are put there for a purpose to save you a lot of money in the case of a malfunction. I scan the gauges continuously but this winter I am going to alarm the most important ones and get rid of the alarmstat that is OEM on the coach.
The fact that the temperature went to normal when you turned the lights off would indicate to me you have a low voltage problem. Now all you have to do is find it.
6V92
Old 10-06-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbucks13477 View Post
Problem with most drivers is that they do not pay attention closely to their gauges and alarms.
I wouldn't go as far as to say that MOST DRIVERS don't pay attention to their gauges, because I'm not with MOST DRIVERS when they are driving, so I can only speak for myself and I do have that good habit of watching my gauges, but things can happen when I'm watching the road and not the gauges. Last year when I was just leaving Minot, ND after stopping for fuel, I heard the Horton Fan cycle on, which because of my habit caused me to check the temperature gauge, but according to the temperature the fan shouldn't have cycled on and then as I was looking at it the temperature started to climb rapidly and then I stopped as quick as I could on the shoulder, that was when the idler pulley bearing came apart throwing the water pump and air compressor belts off http://www.pbase.com/image/82545257

Luckily I drive an FC where I can hear the engine and get accustomed to its NORMAL sounds, so noticing things like the fan starting up when it shouldn't helps, now if I had an SP, or a PT like my old gas pusher, I wouldn't have that advantage. The only working alarm that I have on mine is the Low Air Pressure buzzer and warning light and I'm OK with that, after all gauges and alarms can quit when you need them the most too.

By Lees description it sounds like he is accustomed to watching his gauges, but some times it takes situations like Lee has described to make drivers pick up the habit of gauge watching, if they haven't been doing that already and it also sends out a warning to those that read about it to start watching the gauges themselves.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-06-2008

Default Gauge watching

Not to belabor the point but I do scan the gauges regularly. That's not too hard with a BMC as I don't have all the gauges you folks do but I do have Water temp, Oil pressure, Trans temp, air pressure front and rear, Fuel, CC volts Coach and DC Volts engine and they are sitting right in front of me, so it's easy to do. When the temp gauge started acting up, all the other gauges were normal except the DC volts Coach which occasionally doesn't show much charging when driving. In fact it often doesn't show much charging when plugged in to shore power either (like right now for example). Since my coach batteries are fine (I just had them checked) and I always seem to have enough power there, I figured I just had a fluky gauge and have been planning to look at it or replace it. The 3 (that's right, 3) engine batteries are almost new and the gauge shows they are charging fine from the alternator when driving. (They do not charge from shore power). I figured the voltage for those dash gauges came from the engine batteries, but I don't really know for sure.

Anyway, you folks have given me some things to think about....fuel filter for the engine, voltage checks for the gauges, so I will get to work. I will head over to the Electrical Forum and see how I go about checking voltage on the gauges and wherever else I should look.

Thanks for the tips.

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 10-06-2008

Default Water Temp gauge going haywire

I am trying to learn the best way to find out if I have a ground problem on one of my gauges, the water temp gauge, (and maybe elsewhere as well). I have a multimeter (although am not an expert with it). What connections should I be checking? Do I take off the part of the dash around the gauges and try to check those connections or is there an easier place to check?

The problem occurred when I noticed that with the headlights on, the water temp gauge went up to about 220-230 degrees. When I turned them off, it went back to 190 (normal). Turning them back on again started the gauge rising again.

Later running without the headlights (before I get all the snide remarks, it was only raining slightly, not dark) the gauge mostly stayed at 190 and then kept dropping down to around 150 occasionally (I know that's wrong, it always runs at 190).

Later, after stopping for lunch, and going again,the gauge worked like it always did and stayed around 190 for about 200 miles (I didn't turn on the headlights this time) Someone suggested a ground problem so I am trying to figure out where to start.

Any suggestions would, as usual, be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere