Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems

Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about the operating systems on a 'Bird. If you have one that you think should be added place it in here.

Site Search:

Old 01-28-2014

Default propane detector

Getting the propane to work has been a low priority, but now is the time to start...

Inside the coach, below the fridge, is the black box with a red or green light, and what appears to be a switch. I've attempted to flip, pull, and push the switch by hand but it doesn't move. Before I try with a pair of pliers, would someone be able to tell me simply how it works? I don't want to break it with the pliers.

I'm assuming that operation of the "switch" or "button" on this location must be turned to "on" in order to allow the solenoid (haven't found it yet, but suspect it is behind the fridge accessible from outside) to operate.

Sorry the photo is a little dark, but you can see which unit I'm addressing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	propane 1.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	26787  
Old 01-28-2014
Administrator

not familiar with that model, but it is probably a propane detector,
shuts the propane off a the main gas valve with a solenoid, two wire coil look in the propane bay.
many of the originals have been replaced.
Old 01-28-2014

Fred,
Mine is a little different also but it looks to me like there are some similarities to mine. First of all I have a master switch for the propane. That is located under a flip down panel just under my sink. It is located with the tank monitors and one of my three generator switches. Anyway, that main switch has to be turned on first. Then you push the button on the detector in you pic. If everything is working correctly you will hear a chirp and the green light should come on and then you are good to go.
I'm not saying yours works that way but I'm sure it is something similar.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 01-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Fred,
Mine is a little different also but it looks to me like there are some similarities to mine. First of all I have a master switch for the propane. That is located under a flip down panel just under my sink. It is located with the tank monitors and one of my three generator switches. Anyway, that main switch has to be turned on first. Then you push the button on the detector in you pic. If everything is working correctly you will hear a chirp and the green light should come on and then you are good to go.
I'm not saying yours works that way but I'm sure it is something similar.
Jim,

I'll dig into this tonight after work. A master switch would make sense.

Fred
Old 01-28-2014

Our '89 SP has that switch under our refridgerator. It is a push on / push off button (not momentary) that controls the gas solenoid on the main line out of the tank in the propane bay. I don't know about an FC, but being the same year, I would think the switch is probably the same. If I can find a picture of the solenoid valve by the tank, I'll post it.

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 01-28-2014

Another thing that I just thought of. If you have an electronic master switch for the coach, not just the propane, and it is off, that could cut off electrical power to that sensor and may be your issue too. There are so many things that could be a problem and usually it is one of the simple things.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 01-28-2014

No one has mentioned yet that older coaches like my 91 Foretravel had a system that shut off the propane at the tank as a safety. Newer coaches are no longer built with propane safety shut off switches. Also detectors have a shelf life and need to be replaced after some years.

My detector failed to open the tank solenoid, and I removed the plunger from the solenoid. I also installed a new detector, which no longer control tank solenoids.

The marine industry still uses shut off detector systems if you might want to have that safety function.
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norskelodger View Post
Our '89 SP has that switch under our refridgerator. It is a push on / push off button (not momentary) that controls the gas solenoid on the main line out of the tank in the propane bay. I don't know about an FC, but being the same year, I would think the switch is probably the same. If I can find a picture of the solenoid valve by the tank, I'll post it.
Chris,

SUCCESS!

I had to use pliers (gently) to pull the switch "out to off", then press it "in to on". The green light illuminated.

That gets me onto the right path.

My solenoid valve is in the propane compartment, exactly as shown on the prints in the blue box.

Thanks,

Fred
Old 01-29-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwing2003 View Post
No one has mentioned yet that older coaches like my 91 Foretravel had a system that shut off the propane at the tank as a safety. Newer coaches are no longer built with propane safety shut off switches. Also detectors have a shelf life and need to be replaced after some years.

My detector failed to open the tank solenoid, and I removed the plunger from the solenoid. I also installed a new detector, which no longer control tank solenoids.

The marine industry still uses shut off detector systems if you might want to have that safety function.
Dave,

That's an interesting point. I've owned many RVs, and at this time two MHs and a Fifth Wheel. This BB is the first with a sytem that shuts off the propane at the tank. There were some propane detectors depending on the RV vintange, but no automatic propane isolation. I'm wondering if it ever was a Code Requirement, or just a thoughtful safety device on high-end RVs.

Fred