Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-28-2014
prone to wandering

Default Hurricane Aquastat

The Hurricane on my M380 fires and runs fine but I do not seem to be getting any heat in the coach. The display calls for "check aqua stat". So I looked in the manual and found the location for the aquaststat, took off the covers and found what seemed to be it. There is a small red button in the centre of it that I assume is the reset button, but it does not yield to a "push". Anyone have any ideas? Would be nice to have heat in the coach when we head south
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-29-2014

If your Hurricane heater is firing and running fine, does that mean you have continuous domestic hot water? If so, the message "check aqua-stat" is confusing to me. Have you double checked Zone 1 & 2 furnace settings on the 5 button thermostat and the hydronic thermostat in the bathroom to insure they are set for the heat cycle? Is the red handled circulation valve and the yellow handled mixing valve in the open positions? If all appears proper, then you want to contact ITR. They have been helpful answering my questions.
Old 11-29-2014
prone to wandering

Hi Dan, the red and both yellow valves are in the open position. On my 5 button, there is only a "Furnace" setting on the rear zone which I understand controls the entire coach. Not sure about the bathroom setting or the domestic hot water. I plan to pull the coach outside this afternoon and test it again. I will post the results. Thanks
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-29-2014
Geek

I'm confused by the "both yellow valves are in the open position."

Below is a picture of mine as it was stock (I've changed it). There are three yellow valves. One is normally open, and the other two CAN'T be open - all coolant would pump out!

What do you have and what is open/closed?

There are Furnace settings for both 1 and 2. 1 is front, 2 is rear. No entire coach setting.

Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 11-29-2014
prone to wandering

Don, forgive me it is one yellow valve open, I mis-typed. Mine looks exactly like your picture. Here is what is going on;
-heat diffusers blowing cold air including bathroom
-burner working great, no codes
-interior display alternates between "Hurricane Heating" and "Aquastat off, heater cycling"
-lots of domestic hot water
-thermostat setting on "Furnace", On, and 90 degrees. No "Furnace" setting on front zone
-bathroom Hurricane T-stat "On" and set at 90 degrees
-hose from heater to yellow valve hot, cold after valve
-hose from heater to red valve hot, cold after valve
Yes, the valves are both open, no I cannot imagine that both could have failed at once
Again all suggestions welcome
Thanks
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-29-2014
Geek

If you have blowers going in the front, the furnace must be on for zone 1. Why you don't have a furnace setting on zone 1 I don't know - if you set to zone 1 and cycle the mode switch do you see all of the others besides Furnace?

Heat flows out from the Hurricane to the yellow valve and the unvalved one at the tee, then returns through the red valve. On mine the yellow valve is on the long rear loop, which includes the bathroom, while the front shorter loop is uncontrolled.

It sounds like you have no fluid flowing, and the heat you feel is simply radiating up that far. Either you have a blockage, or the valve that controls the flow to the heaters is not opening. Since you have hot water the fluid must be circulating correctly inside the Hurricane itself.

On mine, the rear loop was blocked, so I know they can become blocked. I had to flush for a long time to open it up, then had to install another valve on the previously unvalved side to close it down enough to get flow the rear.

You could check for blockages by using an external pump, which is also how you flush the fluid. A line from one of the pair of yellow valves into a bucket with some distilled water, then a line from the bucket through a pump to the other valve. Needs to be low pressure or you will blow things up inside. The pump I use has too much pressure, so I just barely crack the valve that I'm pumping through.

Do you have the ITR manual chapter 9? It is in the files here. On edit, link: http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...ap_9_XL_R2.pdf
Old 11-29-2014
prone to wandering

Thanks Don, I do have that manual. I tend to agree that I either have a blockage or a faulty pump/valve perhaps?
I did read somewhere that in the later M380's there is only one zone so I am not to surprised with this.
Have put coach away again (around -9 here tonight) so no more work today!
Perhaps my next step will be to take the line off at the yellow valve and see if I get flow from the circulation pump.
It seems to be a job that I will need to deal with myself as there is no one that Hurricane recommends for service within about 300 miles from me. Thanks again for your help
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-29-2014
Geek

The pump has to be working or you would not have hot water. Same pump, same fluid. With the solenoid in the default "summer" position, fluid is pumped only through the two heat exchangers (fresh water and engine preheat) internal to the Hurricane. When a thermostat causes the solenoid to switch to the "winter" position the coolant still flows through the heat exchangers, but then exits to the radiator loops.

Interesting that there is only one furnace zone for the main t-stat!
Old 11-29-2014
prone to wandering

I agree that it is odd to have only one zone. Next I will take the hose off at the yellow valve and check for flow, but sounds like a blockage is a possibility. You are the only one that I have heard of that has experienced this kind of blockage. Do you know of anyone else that has had a similar issue?
jimdoel@me.com
Old 11-29-2014
Geek

I haven't heard. Chuck (former owner) was sure it was an air lock, but it turned out to be heavy sludge caused by mixing different green and pink fluids. It was like heavy jello!

From what I've heard, air locks are indeed a possibility - the pump just doesn't have the power to fill the line, it needs to have the line filled from an external source.