Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Generators

Generators In this forum we will try to answer any of your questions about the different model generators that can be found on Blue Bird coach's.

Site Search:

Old 05-28-2015

Default Perkins/Kohler in 79 XV

I have no idea if my Perkins/Kohler generator problem is related to the fact that I drained my batteries while replacing my Par water pump with a new Shurflo. I accidentally left the battery switch on and had the lights on in the bathroom and one of the storage bays for about 4 days while waiting for the new pump to arrive. The pump installation was pretty straightforward but when I found out I had drained my batteries I tried to start the generator to charge them up. The light came on on the generator switch and stayed illuminated like it does when it's running but no sign of the Perkins coming alive. Upon inspecting the front of the control box the red reset button was tripped obviously indicating something had happened.

The first thing I did was charge, and load test the two starting batteries, the storage battery, and the generator battery. They all tested fine and now had a full charge. I then replaced a few worn lugs on the battery cables, and cleaned up a few of the ground points in the coach battery box and on the generator side.

The generator still won't turn over. When I flip the switch at the control panel I hear the click but nothing else. I just removed the control box lid and it looks like I have the box that was discussed here several years ago by Stout. I don't know whatever happened with that one as it seems to have just ended without a resolution. Just a few minutes ago with the control box starter switch engaged I tapped on the the solenoid with a screwdriver handle and saw some smoke coming from what according to the wiring diagrams is the preheating resistor? Which probably means it's doing its job and heating up and smoking a bit when the switch is engaged for too long?

Does it sound like the solenoid is bad or should I look elswhere? In the short 6 months that I have owned the XV the generator has worked flawlessly. Start's stops, runs cool, good oil pressure, no issues whatsoever. One other bit of information is that their were four brand new Kohler #248362 relays as well as three bad ones in one of the storage bays along with a bunch of other belt's, hoses, etc. Maybe this was a frequent problem that the PO had.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2015

Tom,

just went through the same basic scenario with my Perkins. Inadvertantly ran the house and generator batteries down. Could not start the generator. Charged all the batteries and still could not start the generator. I believe the solenoid I heard was the fuel solenoid, not the starter solenoid. My generator had been used a bunch in the past month and was always reliable. Fould that I had a blown fuse at the control box where you appear to have a circuit breaker. Replaced the fuse and I was back in business. I think attempting to start the unit while the batteries were low may have blown the fuse. I would look seriously at that circuit breaker. Check the wiring to/from and, or replace the circuit breaker. If you have a meter you could read the voltage, or resistance through the breaker. Mine has a 20 amp fuse.
Old 05-29-2015
Gardner

My experience with a worn contact plate/studs in the solenoid mounted on the starter resulted in tripping that breaker (actually mine was a fuse). If the contact plate doesn't make solid contact connecting the battery terminal to the starter terminal it will draw excess current through the R terminal of the starter solenoid which blows the fuse.

Here are a couple of pics. The solenoid can be removed from the starter in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cleaned up.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	35818   Click image for larger version

Name:	RearCoverOff.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	35819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rotated contact.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	35820  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 05-29-2015

Thanks for the replies guy's but I think my circuit breaker is functioning correctly and my solenoid is actually mounted inside my control box. The circuit breaker(the red push button at the front of the box) actually pops out while I'm standing there watching it if I hold the start switch for longer than 3 or 4 seconds. I attached a few pics of my box. The preheater that is smoking a bit is in front of and to the right of the larger resistor in the second photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-28 13.15.40.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	35824   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-28 13.16.13.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	35825   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-05-28 13.15.16.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	211.6 KB
ID:	35826  
Old 05-29-2015

During the time you hold the remote start switch is the engine crianking?
Old 05-29-2015

Richard,

The Perkins doesn't turn over at all. I really don't think the starter is getting any power but since the XV and my shop along with my multimeter When I reset the push button breaker and flip the start switch I hear one click and that's it. Yesterday when I tapped on the solenoid it seems like it sent power to the preheater but then a few seconds later it pops the breaker.

I guess I'll have to dust off the multimeter over the weekend and see if I can figure it out.
Old 05-30-2015

Do you have a decent troubleshooting guide? I've had to replace my fuse twice since I've owned the bus. It's a 20 amp. The drawings indicate the original to be 10 amp.

You could have issues with a CR relay, a diode, the C relay, the starter relay, or the starter I suppose.