Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #131  
Old 01-04-2020
Sandytoes Sandytoes is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Cowichan Bay
Posts: 85
Default

I purchased a Hughes PWD50-EPO during the Black Friday event with an RV Geeks discount. I have an older version of the Hughes Autoformer. The older autoformer doesn't have the sacrificial surge interrupter that the newer versions have so with the PWD50-EPO and the autoformer, I am pretty confident that the coach electrics and electronics are protected.
__________________
Cameron McLean
Cowichan Bay, British Columbia
2000 LX 40 Millennium
Reply With Quote
  #132  
Old 01-04-2020
Kiwi3's Avatar
Kiwi3 Kiwi3 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Dothan
Posts: 1,046
Default

In addition to the plug in end surge protection I added surge protection in the transfer switch. My generator power regulator wonked out and it cost me an air conditioner. So I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD52DCSV Transfer Switch Surge Protected it was a tiny bit larger than the original transfer switch - so everything in the bay got moved a tiny bit. Not to bad of a job to do.
__________________
Bruce & Marion Griffin
Dothan, AL
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Reply With Quote
  #133  
Old 01-04-2020
Harold,Cat&Sam Harold,Cat&Sam is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Mooringsport
Posts: 2,058
Default

Has anyone wired in two progressive industries ems 50 units into the coach ?
One on the shore power line before the transfer switch and another in the generator line before the transfer switch .

Any thoughts on that other than the added expenses ?

On another note , I added an ems 50 unit and another breaker panel to my house to protect refrigerator , freezer and sensitive electronics after loosing equipment to power surges from severe storms and trees falling on the power lines .
__________________
Harold n Cat McMullen
Sam 11 year old min schnauzer
Mooringsport, Louisiana
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Reply With Quote
  #134  
Old 01-04-2020
tsdevane's Avatar
tsdevane tsdevane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I know what you mean about feeling better when the Progressive Surge Protector is in use. I even use it at home. We have had some bad weather over the years and lost power and of course when it comes back on you get the "Full Monty" as they say. I feel comfortable with the coach being protected. I do need to get the same protection for the house though. I just haven't done it. I haven't had to have any work done on my surge protector but from what you have said Tommy, I feel comfortable with the results.
Jim:

With the increased severe weather patterns that we are experiencing, I am feeling the need for a little extra protection in the form of whole house surge protection. I realize your post (#92 - 03/2012) is dated but have you further investigated/purchased anything for your house? TIA

Timothy


__________________
Timothy DeVane
Greensboro, NC
Future Owner

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Reply With Quote
  #135  
Old 01-04-2020
bwinter1946's Avatar
bwinter1946 bwinter1946 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madera
Posts: 4,117
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold,Cat&Sam View Post
Has anyone wired in two progressive industries ems 50 units into the coach ?
One on the shore power line before the transfer switch and another in the generator line before the transfer switch .

Any thoughts on that other than the added expenses ?

On another note , I added an ems 50 unit and another breaker panel to my house to protect refrigerator , freezer and sensitive electronics after loosing equipment to power surges from severe storms and trees falling on the power lines .

I tried to install mine on the output of the transfer switch but the inverter power coming out of my PowerTech Generator drove the EMS-50 crazy. So I moved the EMS to the shore input side of the transfer switch.
__________________
Brad Winter
Madera, California
1997, 37' BMC
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Reply With Quote
  #136  
Old 01-04-2020
isp2952's Avatar
isp2952 isp2952 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: 1520 N. Binkley Rd., Larwill, IN 46764
Posts: 6,625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdevane View Post
Jim:

With the increased severe weather patterns that we are experiencing, I am feeling the need for a little extra protection in the form of whole house surge protection. I realize your post (#92 - 03/2012) is dated but have you further investigated/purchased anything for your house? TIA

Timothy


Yes Timothy, I did. We have REMC for electrical service and ours is a pretty good outfit. They have several programs that customers can take advantage of. When I built the place they give you a water heater and maintain it. I had an element go out and they came and replaced it for no charge. They also have whole house surge protectors and they installed one at their cost for the protector and no charge for labor. They have thermostats they install too. Anyway, so far it has worked well for me, regarding the surge protector.
__________________

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Reply With Quote
  #137  
Old 01-05-2020
tsdevane's Avatar
tsdevane tsdevane is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Greensboro, NC
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
...We have REMC for electrical service and ours is a pretty good outfit. They have several programs that customers can take advantage of. When I built the place they give you a water heater and maintain it. I had an element go out and they came and replaced it for no charge. They also have whole house surge protectors...

REMC - Rural Electric Membership Cooperative


"Membership has its privileges" (American Express 1987 - 1996)

Thanks Jim.

Timothy
__________________
Timothy DeVane
Greensboro, NC
Future Owner

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1979 FC XV model tulipvendor50 Coaches Wanted 30 02-09-2013 12:54 PM
Elect. sys. remodel - suggestions wanted GPSGary Electrical 49 06-12-2010 10:09 PM
Surge Tank brcn Engine 0 09-12-2008 04:30 PM
Removing And Reinsulating The Fc Model Doghouse Cover iamflagman FC (Forward Control Unique Issues) 0 05-01-2008 04:01 AM
FC Model Perkins GENSET engine radiator and fan relocation Webmaster Generators 0 12-28-2007 10:21 PM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.