Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-04-2020

I purchased a Hughes PWD50-EPO during the Black Friday event with an RV Geeks discount. I have an older version of the Hughes Autoformer. The older autoformer doesn't have the sacrificial surge interrupter that the newer versions have so with the PWD50-EPO and the autoformer, I am pretty confident that the coach electrics and electronics are protected.
Old 01-04-2020

In addition to the plug in end surge protection I added surge protection in the transfer switch. My generator power regulator wonked out and it cost me an air conditioner. So I installed a Progressive Dynamics PD52DCSV Transfer Switch Surge Protected it was a tiny bit larger than the original transfer switch - so everything in the bay got moved a tiny bit. Not to bad of a job to do.
1994 Wide Body #106048 "Going Galt"
bruce.griffin67@gmail.com
334-350-8564
Blue Bird Map
Old 01-04-2020

Has anyone wired in two progressive industries ems 50 units into the coach ?
One on the shore power line before the transfer switch and another in the generator line before the transfer switch .

Any thoughts on that other than the added expenses ?

On another note , I added an ems 50 unit and another breaker panel to my house to protect refrigerator , freezer and sensitive electronics after loosing equipment to power surges from severe storms and trees falling on the power lines .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 01-04-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
I know what you mean about feeling better when the Progressive Surge Protector is in use. I even use it at home. We have had some bad weather over the years and lost power and of course when it comes back on you get the "Full Monty" as they say. I feel comfortable with the coach being protected. I do need to get the same protection for the house though. I just haven't done it. I haven't had to have any work done on my surge protector but from what you have said Tommy, I feel comfortable with the results.
Jim:

With the increased severe weather patterns that we are experiencing, I am feeling the need for a little extra protection in the form of whole house surge protection. I realize your post (#92 - 03/2012) is dated but have you further investigated/purchased anything for your house? TIA

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 01-04-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harold,Cat&Sam View Post
Has anyone wired in two progressive industries ems 50 units into the coach ?
One on the shore power line before the transfer switch and another in the generator line before the transfer switch .

Any thoughts on that other than the added expenses ?

On another note , I added an ems 50 unit and another breaker panel to my house to protect refrigerator , freezer and sensitive electronics after loosing equipment to power surges from severe storms and trees falling on the power lines .

I tried to install mine on the output of the transfer switch but the inverter power coming out of my PowerTech Generator drove the EMS-50 crazy. So I moved the EMS to the shore input side of the transfer switch.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 01-04-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdevane View Post
Jim:

With the increased severe weather patterns that we are experiencing, I am feeling the need for a little extra protection in the form of whole house surge protection. I realize your post (#92 - 03/2012) is dated but have you further investigated/purchased anything for your house? TIA

Timothy

Yes Timothy, I did. We have REMC for electrical service and ours is a pretty good outfit. They have several programs that customers can take advantage of. When I built the place they give you a water heater and maintain it. I had an element go out and they came and replaced it for no charge. They also have whole house surge protectors and they installed one at their cost for the protector and no charge for labor. They have thermostats they install too. Anyway, so far it has worked well for me, regarding the surge protector.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 01-05-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
...We have REMC for electrical service and ours is a pretty good outfit. They have several programs that customers can take advantage of. When I built the place they give you a water heater and maintain it. I had an element go out and they came and replaced it for no charge. They also have whole house surge protectors...

REMC - Rural Electric Membership Cooperative

"Membership has its privileges" (American Express 1987 - 1996)

Thanks Jim.

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net