Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Vehicle Issues

Vehicle Issues Frequently asked questions about vehicles, parts, maintenance, and troubleshooting

Site Search:

Old 02-22-2009

Default Plumbing and electrical schematics

I just purchased a 1994 BMC 37' from an individual that inherited it. Subsequently there is not any background on the unit as the original owners have passed on. Do you know where I can get a wiring diagram and plumbing schematics for this unit. I have minor electrical and plumbing issues that need to be addressed. Also did this unit have a safe and where would that be. My biggest problem right now is with a Heart 2800 invertor and understanding its operation. left the coach plugged in for a week trying to charge the batterys. They seemed to charge up alright so trying to clean up the coach I came back and the lights were dim Checked the batterys with just a light tester and could hardly get a light. I thought the invertor kept the batterys trickle charged like they have in other trailers I have purchased. I see it does have (2) 45 watt battery chargers included in the compartment also. So many questions and such a lengthy question. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-22-2009
Forum Moderator

My guess is that the two 45A chargers are soley for the charging of batteries and the inverter is simply an inverter without an associated charging function. That's how my 94PT is set up
Old 02-22-2009

So Rob if that was the case shouldn't the batterys be charged when it has been plugged in for a week and why would the invertor not be onverting shore power to 12 volt to be able to light the lights on the inside of the coach. If I start the coach the lights of course work. If I start the generator the lights work but with just the invertor plugged in I get 110 to the plugs but no 12 volt light operations. I am totally confused . Could it be the battery bank?
Old 02-22-2009
Forum Moderator

Your 45A converters provide 12V power to the coach and secondarily act as battery chargers. I would check out the converters to see what they are putting out. Are they the old Todd converters?
Old 02-22-2009
Forum owner

hey! welcome to the site!
john will be along in a minute to tell you to get a signature so we all know who you are and what you drive!

first thing is,i think your confusing an INVERTER,with a converter.
a "converter" makes 12vdc power fom a 120VAC input.
a 'inverter" makes 120vac power from 12vdc.
as far as a safe is concerned,some had them,some did not,some owners have a coach for years before finding the safe!

now,Rob is right,some coachs came with an inverter that didnt have a battery charger built in,some had it built in.
do you have an on-board battery charger?
a built in type?
you can look at the inverter,it will say if its an inverter/charger on it.
i would load test all of the batterys,or replace them if they are over 5 years old.

we have a few guys here with BMCs,maybe Dan will pop in..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-22-2009

I have a 1994 BMC 37' The Heart 2800 invertor is not wired to charge the batteries. The on/off switch for it is to your left arm in the drivers seat. Turn it off to avoid a drain.

The (2) 45 watt battery chargers included in the compartment - are they plugged into the outlet in the bay? Is the circuit breaker for the chargers in the circuit breaker box on? The breaker box is under the mirror at the right of the bed looking back. While in there turn off the breaker for the engine heater. If they are not labeled contact me.

Under that 120 volt breaker box is a set of 12 volt breakers. You have to kill all 120 volts in (including invertor), and remover the panel to get to the 12 volt breakers. I only had to go into that one one time.

MOST 12 volt breakers are at the front of the coach in a lower cabinet. I can get you a diagram of which breaker does what..

I am going to hit send before I lose this, and post more in a minute.
Old 02-22-2009

The (2) 45 watt battery chargers are "dumb chargers" and will eventually cook the batteries. You will want to eventually replace them with a smart charger, or get a smart controller, or a new invertor correctly re-wired to do the charging - a fairly big project I have not done yet.

If you follow the output leads of the chargers, they go into a battery isolator under the rubber cover at top rear. Unplug the coach and turn off invertor before looking. The center post isolates the chassis and coach batteries from one another, the top post is chassis batteries, the bottom post is house batteries. The altenator feeds the middle post, but has a sense wire on the chassis batteries, so it only feeds the charge that the chassis batteries call for into the center isolator post feeding both chassis and house batteries. The chargers likely feed the center post, but one could feed top, and one feed bottom. For now, either is ok.

Do you know how to use a voltage meter? Unplug the coach and take volt readings on the both sets of batteries. Then plug it in with the charger breaker on and take readins again. With the chargers off and batteries low it is likley around 12 volts. With chargers on, it should be over 14 volts.

If no improvement, either chargers are not getting fed 120 volts (try a power tool in the outlet or a volt meter), or chargers are dead, or isolator is dead, or batteries fried/corroded/loose connection.

If you can still get the cummins started, the altenator should also feed over 14 volts into the batteries - does the volt meter rise?

The top 2 batteries are chassis, bottom 4 house. What is in there, gell, flooded, or agm? Factory was gell, I run AGMs now. Do they look swollen? Is there corrosion on the terminals? Are the terminals tight?

More to follow.
Old 02-22-2009

A yahoo group BMC specific site with over 2700 BMC posts:
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/BlueBirdBMCowners/
Also check files section and photo section.

I have photos of my bird as purchased, projects, and current coach here:
http://community.webshots.com/user/ac7880

There is no factory safe. I purchased a fire safe from Lowes hardware and placed it in a computer center where the dining table used to be - photos on webshots.

I have schematics of the plumbing and electrical I purchased from Bluebird. They are too large to copy (big rolls).

Likely either I can answer your questions, or the yahoo BMC group can. Ask away.
Old 02-23-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Please make up a permanent signature

Good Morning Stephen,

Well, as Randy already warned you that I would be along soon to ask you to make up a permanent signature, here is a link for you to read thoroughly that will help you with that How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

We have an extensive database of files downloaded for our members use to copy, they can be found at Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > Manuals and Files Stored in This Forums Software DATABASE >Index of Downloaded Manuals and Files in Forums Software Database go to that link and go to post #1 and scroll down the list of manuals and you will find these manuals for a BMC, unfortunately we don't have one for a 1994 BMC, but perhaps Dan can advise you of which of these other BMC manuals if any may apply to yours.

1995 BMC Owner's Man..> 29-Nov-2008 21:08 5.0M
1996 37' BMC Owner's..> 29-Nov-2008 21:10 2.8M
1996 40' BMC Owner's..> 29-Nov-2008 21:10 2.8M
1997 40' BMC Owner's..> 29-Nov-2008 21:11 2.5M

I have also attached a PDF file of a POTABLE WATER DRAWING.pdf that is not labeled for a specific year and model and maybe Dan can compare it to his large drawings to see if this would help you any.

Keep us posted with your progress and ask away if you have any further questions.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf POTABLE WATER DRAWING.pdf (41.2 KB, 288 views)

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-23-2009
Forum owner

thanks Dan,i knew you would help.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com