Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 02-27-2009
davidmbrady

Default Airbags, how much dry-rot is too much?

I was inspecting the coach the other day and noticed that all my airbags are checked and cracked, similar to the appearance of a dry-rotted tire. The bags are 7.5 years old. Anyone have a feel for how long bags should last, and how severely checked they can become before replacement is necessary? (Planning a cross country trip and want to be prepared).
Old 02-27-2009

My 83 had 160 rounds on the odo when I changed the rears, I'm pretty sure they were oem. did the fronts when the engine was out. I dunno, I think I'd run it.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 02-27-2009
davidmbrady

Thanks Mike,

When I bought the coach 4.5 years ago I noticed the bags were checked and cracked (hard to tell how much worse it's gotten over the years). I have visions of installing new bags only to find the same checking one year from now.

BTW, I had new steer tires installed yesterday, the TorqueStick worked perfectly.
Old 02-27-2009
RV Appraiser

If they ain't broke don't fix'em!!! Mine are 21 yo and they are still functional. Who knows they could lay down tomorrow and if they do that is when I'll change them.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 02-27-2009

Default Airbags

Hello David,

We run a fleet of tractor Trailers, All air ride. We have trailers that are 12 years old with the factory air bags. Keep in mind these trailers take a pounding around NY. city. We only keep our tractors 7 to 10 years and only have to replaced an air bag if we blow a tire and it takes out the air bag. We do replace air bags on the trailers after 12 years which is when we start having trouble. My coach is an 2000 and the bags look dry rotted but I will not change them until at least next year.

Les

Les & Kim Walston
Marion Station , MD
2000 LXI 43
Old 02-27-2009

David,
I did the tag bags last fall, as one had probably been hit and had a slice in the outer layer. I plan on doing the other 4 this spring, just to make myself feel better. They're not that expensive, at ~$175 per bag locally. At least I'll know they're all new.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 02-27-2009

Ours are over ten years old, still look fine.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 02-27-2009

Our coach was 14 years old when I developed a leak in the right front bag. After inspecting the others and given the age and mileage I replaced all of them. My thought is that they're not much different then tires and I want to be as safe as possible.

Unless you see actual physical damage I won't be to concerned, given the age of your coach.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 02-27-2009
davidmbrady

Thanks everyone for your input. I very much appreciate it. I now have a much better feel for the life expectancy of the air bags. I think I'll order some spares and carry them with me for my upcoming west coast trip (April), that should insure against a blowout! Now I need to collect part numbers.