Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > General Discussion > New Members

New Members New members to the forum are welcomed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-12-2018

Could be the infamous compressor cooling lines. (AKA, Engine Killer)

Also there are very long lines that go to the interior heating system. They can be hard to get to in places. There are some gate values on the back of the engine that you can shut off to keep the coolant from flowing through the heater/water heater circuits, but that is only if the gate valves still work. Mine are broken and need to be replaced.

Diego

Diego
Old 12-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa View Post
Could be the infamous compressor cooling lines. (AKA, Engine Killer)

Also there are very long lines that go to the interior heating system. They can be hard to get to in places. There are some gate values on the back of the engine that you can shut off to keep the coolant from flowing through the heater/water heater circuits, but that is only if the gate valves still work. Mine are broken and need to be replaced.

Diego

Diego
Wow that was fast. I crawled under the bus and just a lot of water. Could not see from where so we'll see. Thanks for the heads up. Thank God I insured through Allstate and added tow insurance. Tow truck on the way. Only got a mile from Auction house. Allstate towing 60 miles as part of my coverage. Wow that was timely.
2005 Tacoma 4x4 Crew Cab
Old 12-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by irstaxhelp View Post
Coolant coming out from under engine. Could not get to the area though. Coming out pretty good. Pretty much front of engine middle. Front of course being toward the front of bus
Give us the background...you picked up the bus, drove it how far, coolant temp reading, etc. Could be the upper air compressor coolant hose is the problem. You should be able to open the battery side gate and stretch yourself to lean in over the front (rear) of the engine and see that hose. I can do that on our 1987. Good luck and keep posting.

Edit...I see alfa posted at the same time.

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 12-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1 View Post
Congrats

First thing I would do is check the air compressors coolant lines.
Located at the back of the engine.

Be prepared to replace when you do. Upon inspection they may crumble in your hands.

If they go on the highway, you may not be able to shut it dow fast enough.
Looks like you got it right. Coolant leak right out of the yard. Tow truck on the way. Glad for tow insurance!
2005 Tacoma 4x4 Crew Cab
Old 12-12-2018

Quote:
Coolant coming out from under engine. Could not get to the area though. Coming out pretty good. Pretty much front of engine middle. Front of course being toward the front of bus
John, did you read post #3? It was intended for you to find those hoses and grab them and find out if they were serviceable. You would know if you grabbed them and they were stiff and crumbled in your hand, which most have done. Those hoses fail on most older coaches and they are located up at the "front" of the engine as you describe. I hope you got it shut down soon enough, because usually once one goes, it is too late. There have been some sad tales of those hoses failing and owners ended up with a rebuild or a reman engine. Hope all goes well for you. Also, don't let someone talk you into towing that bus without a stinger on a big wrecker. Then either pull the axle or remove driveshaft. I landall would have been better, but doubt that Allstate has a clue what that is. You should have considered CoachNet or GoodSam. Both are much more familiar with big busses like yours. Ok I reread your post and you got only a mile from the place. Hopefully you didn't get it hot enough to hurt anything.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-12-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
John, did you read post #3? It was intended for you to find those hoses and grab them and find out if they were serviceable. You would know if you grabbed them and they were stiff and crumbled in your hand, which most have done. Those hoses fail on most older coaches and they are located up at the "front" of the engine as you describe. I hope you got it shut down soon enough, because usually once one goes, it is too late. There have been some sad tales of those hoses failing and owners ended up with a rebuild or a reman engine. Hope all goes well for you. Also, don't let someone talk you into towing that bus without a stinger on a big wrecker. Then either pull the axle or remove driveshaft. I landall would have been better, but doubt that Allstate has a clue what that is. You should have considered CoachNet or GoodSam. Both are much more familiar with big busses like yours. Ok I reread your post and you got only a mile from the place. Hopefully you didn't get it hot enough to hurt anything.
Perhaps that's why it was at auction. Due to leak. Coolant looked new. Engine runs fine though. But what do I know. Truck with stinger on the way
2005 Tacoma 4x4 Crew Cab
Old 12-12-2018

Quote:
Perhaps that's why it was at auction. Due to leak. Coolant looked new. Engine runs fine though. But what do I know. Truck with stinger on the way
I wish you the best and hope that you didn't hurt the motor. It won't be a big deal if it is OK. You are kind of off to a rough start but hope it gets better for you.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-12-2018

I believe that it needs to be a 5 foot stinger and they must disconnect the driveshaft. It is easy to damage the generator tray if the wrecker driver gets it wrong, so maybe take some pictures with your phone of the front underside of your coach in case there is damage caused by the tow and you need to prove it to the tow company.

Not trying to scare you, but there are lots of sad stories on the forum about bad tows.

Diego
Old 12-12-2018

Where is the pressure line for tow truck driver?
2005 Tacoma 4x4 Crew Cab
Old 12-12-2018

Air line? There should be a Schrader valve near the back of the engine just above the bumper.