Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-14-2009

Default DDEC 1 reader

anyone know the whereabouts of a Detroit Dist who has a DDEC 1 reader for a 8V92? I have been searching for some time now, the factory has no knowledge of the existence of that reader...

Any info will be appreciated,

Ron Jack
1988 Wanderlodge
Old 08-14-2009
Just the Driver

Ron,

Our local Williams Detroit has one but the problem is they no longer have anyone working there that knows how to use it. Thy used to have one guy there that was up on the older engines but he has retired. They have put the old unit upstairs in storage but will not sell it.

Bryan and Karen Altier
2006 M450 LXI. “Ruffin it EZ II”
2014 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Hard Rock
Greenville, SC
Altierb@bellsouth.net
Old 08-14-2009

DD in Albany, GA at one time had several "experts" on 8V92's. They did much of the DD engien work for BB.

In '06 I had work done at DD in Missoula, MT and the guy came out with a laptop loaded with software that did everything but walk the dog. He used it to ID a weak enjector, which I replaced. At that time I checked out the software and it was to expensive for my needs ($700.00, if I remember right).

Given the price of software it maybe time to check on prices again. Sorry I can't remember the name of the software, but, your local DD guy should be able to get it for you.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 08-14-2009

The DD dealer in Billings, Mt., also has a DDEC 1 and 2 reader. Had(in '06), two techs
who worked on 2 strokes. The shop was 16 bays, with two shifts(7AM-11PM). Very clean
and efficient shop.
Old 08-14-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Jack View Post
anyone know the whereabouts of a Detroit Dist who has a DDEC 1 reader for a 8V92? I have been searching for some time now, the factory has no knowledge of the existence of that reader...

Any info will be appreciated,

Ron Jack
1988 Wanderlodge
What exactly is your problem that you think a reader will solve? Reason I ask is that DDEC 1 was so basic an engine control system that you can do most diagnostics without it. Straighten out a paper clip and jump out terminals A & M in the reader plug and that will make the check engine light flash out the codes.

The codes are all two digits and there will be a pause in the flashes between codes. My advise is to have a pen and paper handy to take dictation as the codes flash off. Code 25 is no codes are present.

I have a chart somewhere that breaks the codes out into what they mean. I'll be glad to help you.
Generator Designer
1-615-496-1023
Old 08-14-2009

Default Thanks for responses

Thanks very much to Bryan Altier, Steve Gureasko and Lance and Jan Crowley for responding to my question regarding the availability of a DDEC 1 reader...I'll continue my search using your responses...

Safe travels,

Ron Jack
Old 08-14-2009

Understand that by jumping out the A and M terminals on the reader plug you have essentially done the same thing the DDEC 1 reader does.

We have the DDEC 1 cartridge for an MPSI reader (better hardware than the two previous generation readers) at the Nashville Prevost shop. Stop by and we'll plug in and read what you've got.
Generator Designer
1-615-496-1023
Old 08-14-2009
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by parris001 View Post
Understand that by jumping out the A and M terminals on the reader plug you have essentially done the same thing the DDEC 1 reader does.

We have the DDEC 1 cartridge for an MPSI reader (better hardware than the two previous generation readers) at the Nashville Prevost shop. Stop by and we'll plug in and read what you've got.
Jeff,welcome to the site,and thanks for jumping in!
so,your a tech at the prevost shop?
Give us a little background on the shop and yourself.
I suppose Paul Lazar has been talking to you?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-15-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default Moved This Thread

I have moved this thread over to the Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine > DDEC 1 reader

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 08-15-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
Jeff,welcome to the site,and thanks for jumping in!
so,your a tech at the prevost shop?
Give us a little background on the shop and yourself.
I suppose Paul Lazar has been talking to you?
Hello Randy, and all. I found this forum while doing a little research on the Bluebird in an attempt to find Paul Lazar a charge air cooler for his. I enjoy any and all kinds of forums so I joined in.

Prevost Nashville was started in 1998 at the Whites Creek location. We had 7 bays in that location and ran 3 shifts. We quickly outgrew that building and in June we moved into a 15 bay shop.

I have been a tech since 1987, a graduate of Nashville Auto Diesel College. I spent 13 years with the local Detroit Diesel distributor. It was Nixon when I started and changed ands to Covington. From there I went back to my alma mater to the Research and Development department and later an Instructor. I missed the hands-on and turning wrenches so I made the move to Prevost in 2003. I am the branch Trainer, Welder, as well as the Tool Master.

I enjoy all things mechanical. And I especially enjoy motorcoaches of all kinds. We have Bluebird and Newell customers that are regulars. I realize that as a group ya'll have nowhere to go. Well, I know I speak for my Branch Manager Rose Baker (and the rest of the Prevost network) when I say that you're welcome at Prevost. Understand that we don't have much in the way of parts in inventory for your coach but that we are a resourceful bunch and our parts guy Rich Luttfring is an expert in customer service and will leave no stone unturned in an attempt to find the part you need.

Come by and see us. We'll even allow you to just hang out and camp with us a few days if you'll as much as buy an engine service. The facility is beautiful!
Generator Designer
1-615-496-1023