Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-24-2008

Default Installing Xantrex 20 Inverter / Charger

Hi Guys.....
Just bought a Xantrex freedom marine 20 inverter / smart charger for my '82 pt-40. I plan to dump the current chargers (boilers) and replace it with this as it includes a 100amp charger, and also lose the rediline (Defunct anyway). I'm thinking the best place to locate it is in the narrow bay on the drivers side where the chargers are already, and run wire as needed to connect to the electrical circuits including maybe the front ac.
Would appreciate comments, tips, and especially wiring diagram or associated hints. - I'm not sure exactly where to "tap in" to the existing AC - but thinking maybe right before the breaker box, or adding another dedicated box.
Apparently the Xantrex has an intelligent built in breaker that will shut the inverter it down if it detects external ac power and split any ac input between the charger and any other loads. I have not received or studied the manual yet and appreciate any experience you guys may already have before I get to that stage.
Thanks in advance!
Rob
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 01-24-2008

Hello Rob,

I recently purchased the Magnum MS2812 and I'm planning on doing the same thing as you in the near future. It sounds like the location of the chargers changed between 82 and 86. Mine are located on the passenger side just behind the tag axle along with the redi-line. Although my redi-line is still functional, I plan to remove the it and the chargers and replace it with the Magnum. I am a little concerned about the compartment location because it looks like it could pick up too much moisture in wet weather. However, this is a good location because it is close to the batteries. You should install as close to the batteries as pratical.

I am thinking about installing a sub panel off the main panel. I will have the Shore power or the Generator go to the main panel, then a breaker for the inverter in the main to feed the inverter. The inverter will power the sub-panel. I will move the circuits out of the main that I want to be fed by the inverter. Items like the Air Conditioners, electric heaters, I will keep in the main. The electrical outlets, ice maker, and microwave will be moved to the sub panel.

Hopefully I will get some time in the next month or so to make it happen. When I do, I will list out the details of the project. If you get to yours before me, please keep up posted on your solution.

Regards,

Glenn
Old 01-24-2008

Hi Glen,
Yes sounds like we arer on the same track. I will use the same location as the existing chargers....its a ways away from the batteries but the big *** DC wiring from the old chargers is right there. I will just have to run some new romex to the new breaker box......Still - comments from anyone who has already been this route will be most welcome (to Glen also I'm sure...)
Regards
1961 Jaguar Mk2
2004 Durango 4wd Toad
2010 Mazda CX9
Old 01-25-2008
Jay Darst

Thumbs up Inverter installation

I have installed 6 inverters.

3 in boats, 3 in Bluebird Vinatge coaches.

Send me an e-mail at jdarst@hprcars.com and I'll send you pictures and etc.

The A/C side of the inverter draws its power from a 30 amp breaker in the main distribution panel. The inverter loads are in thier own distribution panel, next to the main panel.

You will move black, white, ground and green wires from the main distribution panel to the inverter distribution panel.

This is a GREAT upgrade when done properly.

You are welcome to call me at 217-971-0036.

Jay Darst
85PT40
Jay.Darst@Yahoo.com
Dothan, AL
217-971-0036 cell
Old 01-25-2008

Wire the inverter output into one of the 30 amp shore power inputs; that should make half the main panel hot - find out which one powers the stuff you want on the inverter.

I wired mine into one of the 30-amp breakers located below the main panel in my coach; I used the other 30-amp breaker as the AC input to the inverter - both cables run the same route. Since the transfer switch changes both the hot and neutral legs, there is no need for a separate panel. for inverted loads.

I like it wired this way - in case there is an electrical problem you can either kill power to everything at the main panel or at the transfer switch instead of having to find and power off the inverter or a sub panel. The downside is controlling the load on the side of the panel you are using. My panel was divided so most of the receptacles, the rear air and the hot water heater were on the same leg - I have to remember to turn of the hot water heater when I am driving so I added that to my "pre-flight" check list.

Good luck,
1987 Vanagon Camper
Old 01-25-2008

Glenn I have mine installed in the same place with no problems with moisture for over 10 years.
At one time I had my inverter wired up with out a sub panel it work OK if you did not worrier about having the wall plugs on all the time with out incoming A/C also the Microwave.
Jay Dast told me of a better way by using a sub panel.That has work good for me.
Bob Loomas 1985 PT 36
Harahan LA.
Old 01-27-2008

Bob,

Thanks for the feedback on the location. Where in the compartment did you mount the inverter? I assume you pulled out the redi-line and both chargers.

TJ,

I was considering your suggestions. My main concern is that my kids will not remember what should and should not be turned on when on inverter (and myself included with my memory). If I split it out to a sub-panel, then I can issolate the loads on the inverter to reduce the chance of high-load items pulling the batteries down.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Glenn
Old 01-27-2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPRCoach View Post
Send me an e-mail at jdarst@hprcars.com and I'll send you pictures and etc.
Jay,

Your install sounds just like what I want to do. I sent you an email for a copy of your pictures and etc. Thanks for sharing!

Glenn
Old 01-29-2008

I solved that problem by mounting the inverter remote above the drivers seat - I can monitor the load and if it gets too high, I can shut off the inverter with the switch on the remote.

I would still recommend wiring the output of the inverter through the transfer switch or providing an external disconnect for it somewhere. That way if there is an electrical problem, all the power can be killed without having to remember where the aux panel or inverter power switch is.

Good luck,

TJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAGster View Post
Bob,

TJ,

I was considering your suggestions. My main concern is that my kids will not remember what should and should not be turned on when on inverter (and myself included with my memory). If I split it out to a sub-panel, then I can issolate the loads on the inverter to reduce the chance of high-load items pulling the batteries down.

Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Glenn
1987 Vanagon Camper

Last edited by tjhannink; 01-29-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2008
Gardner

Jay from HPR Coach gave me the royal tour of his coach. The inverter installation and the sub-pannels look like the factory did it. Take advantage of his offer to provide pictures, you will find them very enlightening.

P.S.
It's for sale..

Gardner
78FC33
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey