Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 10-18-2009

Default Transmission Won't go into Gear

Always something else with these machines.

We changed campsites today (same campground) and as I was backing into the new one I punched R and it wouldn't go into gear The left hand light said R but the right hand light on the Alison computer stayed at N. I heard a ringing sound and punched N and both went to N. I tried D and got the 6 on the left hand light but the right hand light still was at N.

I turned the engine off and then back on and it went into D OK (6-1) so I pulled up to get a better shot at where I wanted to be (and eventually out of the road) but when I tried R again, same problem, R-N on the Allison computer instead of R-R. I turned off the engine for 5 minutes or so and when I turned it back on everything seems to be working OK now. I have not checked the codes at this point (as I recall you hold the mode button down until codes start appearing). I will do that tomorrow morning and call someone to see what I need to do but thought I'd run the problem by you experts for ideas.

The Allison computer was replaced about 4 years ago to the tune of about $4000 so I hope it's not that again.

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 10-18-2009

Lee,

Ouch! $4000 for just the computer. I believe I could get a new transmission for about that amount. I guess that is part of owning the newer iron.

I don't know much about the newer birds, but I would start with the basics. Check your fluid level. Make sure you have slid ground connections. Beyond that...you will have to wait on the experts.

Good luck,

Glenn
Old 10-18-2009

Default Allison Code

I checked the diagnostic code (there was only one in there) The number was 2112. According to Allison that code means "Throttle position sensor failed low"

I have no idea what that means or how to solve it. Are any of you guys familiar with that problem?

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 10-18-2009
ANOTHER REDNECK

Throttle position sensor is a part on pass side that has a cable that runs it,,

it interfaces with puter to make it all jazz~

i got a guy in phil that can fix the puter for cheap and a guy in dallas that fixed the key pad for 250 ea!

bet its wires loose or that cable is wearing out..and i bet too that the engine rpm might be a little high??? or is the coach cold inside when this happens> warm up the key pad as i had to do and it worked great but hated doing the hair dryer on it when i wanted to go~!!
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 10-19-2009

Default Throttle position sensor

I called a local Allison service shop (luckily there is one clse by) and he said pretty much what Woody said. (You guys are good). Assuming I can get it going today, I will run around there and he said he'd hook up the computer to make sure that's all it is. He said if that's it, it's not a big deal if he has the part, and if not he said he could get it in a day. That would be good as we are about to head for RATS.

Woody, I remember your $250 computer. I recall you found that a short time after I shelled out the $3800. Thanks for bringing that up

See you guys at RATS

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 10-19-2009
RV Appraiser

Can you say BMC ! Sorry Lee I couldn't help myself Get-r-fixed and get on down to RATS.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 10-19-2009
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Lee just thinks that by posting this issue here on the forum and mentioning that he will be on his way to RATS, that will qualify him for the BROKEN BUT HERE award.......................but that is only given out at the 'Birds At the Beach rally in Myrtle Beach and we all know who is the proud(?) current holder of it this year

LEE DAVIS "ACCEPTS" THE BROKEN BUT HERE AWARD

...................................at least this didn't happen sitting in the drive at Twin Oaks!

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 10-19-2009

Lee, You're a good sport. Ask for help and you get it. Then they make you pay. I carried that wounded bird picture around for a year and you never know I might get another turn. Hope not. My coach is in for service this afternoon. I want them to check for a propane leak before I head to Maxton and RATS. It's always something, but when you consider the age of the equipment and the age of the owners I am ever so grateful. So don't feel badly and I look forward to seeing you soon. Hope the weather is at least respectable. We had a very wet and rainy weekend in Pa. Looking better for this week.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-22-2009

Default Transmission Saga over .....Hopefuly

We have qhad a busy few days on our way to RATS. I am beginning to enjoy seeing how different shops are laid out. I have been in several over the last few days.

I ended up having to go twice to Covington Power In Kingsport, TN . First time he adjusted the throttle position sensor cable so that the TCP Count (?) on the computer was back over 50. No charge! Went home and found it happened again, so went back. After a lot of work we determined the throttle was not returning to the Zero position on the "Percentage" showing up on the computer. The throttle had been very stiff since I got the injector pump rebuilt at Cummins Crosspoint in Normal IL a month or so ago. The
Cummins location there did a great job on the injector pump, lift pump, and valve adjustment then said I'd be done in an hour, but didn't seem to have a clue how to put the throttle linkage back together. Three shifts worked on it (more than all the rest of the work put together) and when they got it done, it was sort of "We think we have it right now. It's a little stiff but that will work out as you drive it"). Fortunately they reduced my labor bill from 33 hours to 19 hours. Unfortunately the linkage seemed to still be wrong. So on the second Covington visit described above, the Allison guy said he did the best he could considering the throttle linkage was so stiff, but I needed to get the throttle loosened up before it would go back to zero properly. His charge...$104. Then I took off down the road toward Knoxville TN and by the time I got there my right leg muscle was twice as big as my left. That throttle was something. So I stopped at Cummins Crosspoint in Knoxville (note the word Crosspoint....same company...Excellent!) and explained what the Covington Allison guy said and showed them the previous big bill from Cummins Crosspoint in IL. They proceeeded to spend 4 hours on the throttle linkage charging the work to the Illinois location. And our BMC friend on the Forum, Brad Winter, was super nice and went out to his bus and sent me many digital pictures to help figure out the throttle problem, right on the spot (Thanks Brad). Done this morning....No charge. Another Covington Power location was in Knoxville right next door to Cummins, so I went over there and explained what the Covington Power guy in Kingsport had done and wondered if changing the throttle might have messed up his transmission cable adjustment. They hooked up theri computer and lo and behold it was perfect. And best of all....No charge.

So after the big expense on the injector rebuild etc, and four more shop visits, I finally am back on the road to RATS with minimal additional expense and only slightly the worse for the wear.

However, my wife keeps reminding me that all this stuff that just happened was not on the bus list of "things to fix" and we haven't gotten to that yet. That involves replacing 64 rusting screws in the side moldings, fixing the passenger side windshield wiper, fixing the front door latch, the aquahot toggle switch and fuel pump leak, and several other things........

It never ends

Best,

1995 BMC 37
Boldly Going Nowhere
Old 10-22-2009

Great news, Lee
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad