Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 08-05-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Default Oil capacity of the 60 series?

just changed oil and filters, refilled with 8 gallons, 32 quarts and it shows overfull.

There are two oil filters, I think they are two quarts each,
My blue book shows an 8v92, so no help there. the only thing I can find is Pete's post, and according to Pete, it should hold 40 quarts, ten gallons with filters. I am assuming mine would be the same.
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...s+oil+capacity
post#5

So what is the oil capacity? Do I have the wrong dip stick?
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 08-06-2012

Hello Mallie,

Just changed mine, 40 quarts with filters.
Old 08-06-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Thanks Jerry, had a friend measure his dip stick,, I got the wrong one. Been running it since I got it with 7 gallons instead of 10. Noticed would loose oil pressure on a hard stop. Nearly had my mechanic do a tear down.
I marked mine with the dimensions friend gave me and now I have 10 gallons in it and on the mark. New stick will be ordered.
Just wonder how this happened and how long it has been this way?
One of the reasons I never let anyone else change my oil on any of my vehicles.
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 08-06-2012

Mallie, is your friends oil pan the same capacity as yours? I'm not sure if the series 60 came with two different sized oil pans, but thought I should ask.

2000 LX40 Millennium Limited Edition #4 of 6
1987 PT38 8V92 "MacAttack Racing" SOLD
1974 FC31 534 gas engine, air brakes (sold)
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
714 269-6187

Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 08-07-2012
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallie Lennon View Post
just changed oil and filters, refilled with 8 gallons, 32 quarts and it shows overfull.

There are two oil filters, I think they are two quarts each,
My blue book shows an 8v92, so no help there. the only thing I can find is Pete's post, and according to Pete, it should hold 40 quarts, ten gallons with filters. I am assuming mine would be the same.
http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...s+oil+capacity
post#5

So what is the oil capacity? Do I have the wrong dip stick?
I helped a Buddy change oil, seem to remember 10 gallons.
Mallie, this is worth further discussion.
Old 08-07-2012
davidmbrady

Hi Mallie,

Mine holds ten gallons. The Detroit Diesel Series 60 Service Manual says:

"Engine oil capacity can vary, depending on the oil pan used and the engine application. For total oil capacity refer to the engine application manual or contact an authorized Detroit Diesel distributor".

It might be worthwhile to contact your local DDA service center to give them your serial number. They can tell how it was originally set up.
Old 08-07-2012

Hi Mallie
My old 97 series 60 held 40 qts. with filters. Had it serviced at Travellix bus in Titusville and when in Detroit had it done by a shop that did all the fire trucks in Waterford MI. Never less and never more that 40 qts., and never had to add any oil in between the 8K to 9K miles annual intervals.
2003 H3-45 S2
TGO Titusville, Florida
dukeflyer2507@att.net
248-935-5390
Old 08-07-2012
Former Bird Owner

As you found in another thread, my '95 WBDA Series-60 powered Wanderlodge used 40 quarts (10 gallons) with an oil and filter change. I did an oil change every 10,000 miles or annually (mostly annually) during the nearly 4 years I owned the coach. That was 5 oil changes, as I did one immediately after buying the coach ... and I'd done a full service (to catch any selling-point issues) just before selling the coach. As it happened, these services were done by several different vendors -- but they all invoiced me for 40 quarts.

That said ... Wanderlodges were not mass produced. All the coaches may have features or custom items that no other WL has. It may be that (for some reason) you have a different oil pan -- it's even possible that the oil pan was somehow damaged and was replaced after-the-fact. (So the build record might suggest a 40 qt capacity, but a new pan may have reduced it.)

Hopefully, the engine was fully drained of oil before it was refilled. This is tough to know, for sure, as the oil turns black very quickly after a change, due to the nature of diesel engines.

Other than a difference in the oil pan or a failure to fully drain the engine, I can't think of any other reason that the oil capacity might be less that other Series-60 engines used by Wanderlodge.

Of course installation of a "wrong" dip stick may lead to a low fill point. Perhaps you can post the dimensions of your dip stick ... and how far from the end the full mark appears.

I note that the distance from full to low on my dip stick was approximately one gallon (not quart). So a mark that was too far down ... or using the wrong mark on the dip stick could have a difference of a gallon or two in the refill. (I also note that my coach would "eat" the first couple of quarts very quickly ... then would run very happily with the dip stick reading about 1/2 way between the full and low marks -- hardly using any more oil after the first couple of quarts.)

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-07-2012
prone to wandering

Mallie, coupled with the symptoms described when you were running at the previous "full" mark", (down 3 gallons) I would say that your 10 gal fill is likely correct and you have an incorrect dipstick. The symptoms you describe are exactly how one would expect an engine that was down 30% of oil capacity to behave. But by all means check with DD or anyone else that may know for sure like the PO or perhaps any old service invoices could give you some insight.
jimdoel@me.com
Old 08-07-2012
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Curt, I know the capacity of the 60 depends on application, but I think most if not all 60 in BB are the same. I believe his is exactly like mine, and i had him measure the stick to the full mark, 48 inches. And that is at least a couple of inches up from my full mark. And when I filled to this mark it took exactly 40 quarts.
Pete, your post was my first realization I might have a problem.
Jim,, that was my logic and I feel real sure it is just the wrong stick. Just glad I got it figured out. Glad we have this group to help solving things like this,, Thanks all, appreciate the e mails, responses, help.
Mallie@EuLake.com