Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 12-15-2009

Default TOO EXPENSIVE TO REPAIR

Howdy, WOGers.

Our Sharp Microwave/Convection oven is broken. The cost of repairs to it would be about 2/3rds of the cost of a new unit. <sigh> So, I will be shopping for a new unit. Jack wants to get another Sharp as we still have the mounting plates on the wall. Suggestions as to models, etc would be appreciated.
An expensive Hanukah present.

TIA,
Liz
Lone Star Corral SKP park
Dhanis, Republic of Texas
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-15-2009

Depending on if your Sharp microwave is original, the mounting plate might not fit current model microwaves.

Personally, I don't think the mounting plate should affect your purchase decision. The actual mounting plate is very easy to install. Look for a unit that has the features (and price) you desire.

I would suggest going to Lowes to look at new models. They have a very good selection of mid range to upper range units to choose from.

For the most part, you shouldn't have a difficult time picking a unit that fits perfectly in the vacant slot. Some may be slightly 'taller' or 'shorter', but the width will remain the same.

I replaced my original Sharp unit last spring with a GE Advantium 120 microwave unit, and my wife and I love it. The only challenge to the install was lifting the new unit into place on the mounting plate.

Good luck!
Linden, Michigan
Old 12-15-2009

Howdy, Robert.
Thanks for the reply.
No, the broken Sharp was a replacement for one in the coach when we bought it from the previous owner.

Regards,
Liz
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-16-2009
Administrator

The Sharp MicroWave/Convection Oven replacement is R-930 AK ( black)
Old 12-16-2009

Hi Jack We just replaced our sharp micro- convection, I think it was a R1852A. It was 1.1 cubic ft and 850 watts. We replaced it with a GE Profile it is 1.7 cubic ft and 1000 watts fot the same price.

Needed to replace mounting plate and drill a few holes. If you have problems getting old one off the wall there are 2 rods under the screens that screw into the wall mounting plate.

Good luck Steve
Old 12-16-2009
pgchd

Don't know how your "bad replacement" mounted but the OEM Sharp in my 95 did not have the 2 long screws that go into the new back plate.......replaced with a Sharp r1874/75, stainless(comes in other colors) that model was also used in the m450's, same size as OEM but needed to change the back plate to accommodate the 2 "long screws", no big deal, all other holes lined up and same exact size as OEM. Ordered from Lowes (local big box store)......a bit pricey but well worth it since we "full / part time" and it is our only microwave and oven................
Old 12-16-2009

Liz,
Not to be too nosie but what is wrong with your current micro? Just last summer my Sharp quit working. I thought it was shot and started shopping. Found a couple the correct size and also found that they were going to cost around $800! Was talking about my problem and John (fxdwg) said I should check for a fuse. Never new they had one. Took it apart, found an inline fuse. Went to Radio Shack and for $1, I fixed it. It now works great and I saved $799!!!! Check it out. What have you got to lose? It's going to have to come out anyway.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Liz,
Not to be too nosie but what is wrong with your current micro? Just last summer my Sharp quit working. I thought it was shot and started shopping. Found a couple the correct size and also found that they were going to cost around $800! Was talking about my problem and John (fxdwg) said I should check for a fuse. Never new they had one. Took it apart, found an inline fuse. Went to Radio Shack and for $1, I fixed it. It now works great and I saved $799!!!! Check it out. What have you got to lose? It's going to have to come out anyway.
Thanks for the reply.
The turntable motor needs to be replaced and a circuit board needs to be replaced.

Regards,
Liz
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taob43 View Post
Hi Jack We just replaced our sharp micro- convection, I think it was a R1852A. It was 1.1 cubic ft and 850 watts. We replaced it with a GE Profile it is 1.7 cubic ft and 1000 watts fot the same price.

Needed to replace mounting plate and drill a few holes. If you have problems getting old one off the wall there are 2 rods under the screens that screw into the wall mounting plate.

Good luck Steve
Hmmmm. Thanks for the reply, Steve. Why did you choose a GE Profile unit? Where did you buy your GE?

I am assuming that mounting plates came with the GE?

Regards,
Liz
SKPs
Liz
CORRAL NEWS Editor
www.lonestarcorral.com
Old 12-16-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgchd View Post
Don't know how your "bad replacement" mounted but the OEM Sharp in my 95 did not have the 2 long screws that go into the new back plate.......replaced with a Sharp r1874/75, stainless(comes in other colors) that model was also used in the m450's, same size as OEM but needed to change the back plate to accommodate the 2 "long screws", no big deal, all other holes lined up and same exact size as OEM. Ordered from Lowes (local big box store)......a bit pricey but well worth it since we "full / part time" and it is our only microwave and oven................
Thanks for the reply, Pete.
".a bit pricey but well worth it since we "full / part time" and it is our only microwave and oven."

DITTO!!! Photos showing "Hole" in the cabinets!!

Regards,
Liz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Modify 014.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	327.5 KB
ID:	3620   Click image for larger version

Name:	Modify 015.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	332.0 KB
ID:	3621