Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-14-2010

Default Adequate Cooling for converter/charger

Just curious about the cooling of my converter/charger. I have two 80 w Intelli-Power 9100 series converter/chargers with the charge wizard module.

Here lately its been mighty hot. In the curbside (tool-box) bay where converters are installed, I suspect it gets very hot especially in the afternoon sun.

I'm approaching the second year with this equipment and so far they have performed like a charm.

Should I concern myself about the heat?
Old 06-14-2010

Have you measured the temperature in that bay where they are installed? When Shane helped me install mine, we also drilled holes in the outside door and I installed clamshell vents over the holes. Haven't installed a fan yet. My digital thermometer has shown temps between 70-100 depending on time of day, temps outside, so forth.
VB 1570
Old 06-14-2010
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post
Just curious about the cooling of my converter/charger. I have two 80 w Intelli-Power 9100 series converter/chargers with the charge wizard module.

Here lately its been mighty hot. In the curbside (tool-box) bay where converters are installed, I suspect it gets very hot especially in the afternoon sun.

I'm approaching the second year with this equipment and so far they have performed like a charm.

Most chargers/converter units have a cooling fan, depending on the bay ventilation , dirt, dust, and debris gets into the little computer fan, When the fan slows or seizes up the unit will shut down, or begin to run until hot then cool and turn on again, thus intermittent.
These mini fans are available from Allied Electronics.
http://www.alliedelec.com/
So do not trash and replace too quickly, measure the dimension of the fan and replace with usually a 12volt same current draw fan, Allied Electronics tech support is very helpful and will find a substitute for the Chinese version.
Old 06-14-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Hat Guy View Post

Here is what I have done to mine to help eliminate some of the heat buildup in the compartment, it has worked for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical > Inverter - Beating a Dead Horse

I noticed every time I opened my Inverter / Battery Charger compartment that there was a heat build up in there, to help get some cooler air into the compartment and remove some of the hot air I started by cutting two 3 inch holes in the door and then covering them with 3 inch spot soffit vents from Lowe's, so that there would be a fresh air inlet even with the door closed, whenever I'm at home or staying in one spot for while I prop open the door.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/108945742.jpg

I decided to add two muffin fans in there to help circulate fresh air through the compartment. I placed one that cannot be seen in the picture over the opening in the lower shelf back wall of the compartment to remove air from the compartment and the other to help circulate air heated by the battery charger down from the upper shelf. I decided to not cut another hole at the back of the top shelf after having to replace a section of heater hose that runs behind there, that was punctured after one of the mounting screws for the battery charger that an RV tech. mounted to the back wall, it was installed to replace the battery boiler.

http://www.pbase.com/iamflagman/image/114488014.jpg

I mounted on the roof of the compartment and in-line on the fans 12 volt fused power source directly from the battery bank a Hayden - Econo Adjustable Electric Radiator Fan Thermostat and by using a infrared thermometer on a hot summer day adjusted it to engage the two muffin fans at 100 degrees, this has worked great for me.

http://www.amazon.com/Hayden-Adjustable-Electric-Radiator-Thermostat/dp/B000ANXQ58

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11