Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 10-28-2010

Default Aqua-Hot

Friend of mine recently purchased a 99 Bluebird, I believe it is an LXI. He asked for some help getting his heat going, and I am flummoxed.
It has an Aqua-Hot, which seems to work fine. He has the 5 button DuoTherm thermostat, set for 3 zones. The manual states that the options are cool, fan only, heat strip, furnace. The only options I could see on any of the 3 zones are fan and cool. No heat strip (not sure if he has those installed) and no furnace mode showing on the thermostat. The bathroom heat (on a seperate thermostat) works fine.
What am I missing?
Thanks.
P.S. Sonny (the owner) is not a computer user, so I offered to help him get off the ground, so to speak.
Old 10-28-2010
Former Bird Owner

There should also be a switch on the dashboard -- "hydronic heat" -- it must be "on" for the AquaHot to be fully operational. The A-H also has an electric heating element that works off the generator or shore power. It may or may not have a well marked circuit breaker. If it's well-marked, you'll be able to find it. If not, be sure all breakers are on.

The most common problem is that the hydronic heat switch is off.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 10-28-2010

Pete:
Thanks for the response.
We do have the switch on the dash on (green light on) and the blower in the bathroom does work.
I am just confused as to why the thermostat has no furnace setting. On our 96, Zones 2 and 3 have the furnace setting. On Sonny's 99, the thermostat shows no furnace setting at all.
Old 10-28-2010

You may need to perform a Comfort Control Center reset.

"16. SYSTEM RESET
a. Turn the ON/OFF switch to “OFF” position.
b. Simultaneously depress and hold the MODE and ZONE
push-buttons while turning the ON/OFF switch to “ON”.
FF should appear in the LCD display until the MODE
and ZONE push-buttons are released.
c. When a dip switch is turned on or off after initial configu
ration, a system reset will need to be done before the
Comfort Control CenterTM will recognize the updated selection.
See figure 11."

http://bryantrv.com/docs2/temp/ccc5-2.pdf
Old 10-28-2010

Rich:
Thanks much. We will try that tonight and I will let you know how it works.
Old 10-28-2010

Bill,

The AH heat is NOT controlled by the DuoTherm panel (at least in my bird). It's controlled by the simple thermostat under the DuoTherm. Set it to heat by the bottom left switch and set your temp by the top slide. Then sit back and enjoy the heat!! You'll only have the furnace indicators on the DuoTherm if the AC's have heat strips.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 10-28-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post
Bill,

The AH heat is NOT controlled by the DuoTherm panel (at least in my bird). It's controlled by the simple thermostat under the DuoTherm. Set it to heat by the bottom left switch and set your temp by the top slide. Then sit back and enjoy the heat!! You'll only have the furnace indicators on the DuoTherm if the AC's have heat strips.
Bingo! Good info to know. Mine had the heat strips, the secondary t-stats controlled only the electric toe-space heaters.

Blue Bird's motto "Make no two exactly the same!!!"
Old 10-28-2010
davidmbrady

My Duotherm T-stat controls two of my four AH zones.
Old 10-28-2010

Thermostats for the Duo Therm air conditioners also controls furnace, which is the aqua hot for two zones. It also controls heat pumps and shows heat strips on the thermostat.

The thermostat below the comfort control (suburban type) activates the kitchen toe heater and the roof vent fan.

In the bath area on mine, there are 2 suburban type thermostats that control the toe heater, and the other aqua hot heat exchangers in the shower and and commode area.

Have him make sure the phone type jacks are plugged into the connectors properly. They are located inside the coach under the return filter covers of all units. If they are not connected properly the others will not work and more than likely will not show on the thermostat because its not sensing them. Also next to these connectors are relays check their connections. Their is a reason the thermostat is not sensing them. Start there after you have reset the thermostat as Rich suggested.

Last edited by Somervillebus; 10-28-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: add suggestion
Old 10-28-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somervillebus View Post
Thermostats for the Duo Therm air conditioners also controls furnace, which is the aqua hot for two zones. It also controls heat pumps and shows heat strips on the thermostat.

The thermostat below the comfort control (suburban type) activates the kitchen toe heater and the roof vent fan.

In the bath area on mine, there are 2 suburban type thermostats that control the toe heater, and the other aqua hot heat exchangers in the shower and and commode area.
Ditto here, Slim, except I was not aware that thermostat activated the roof vent fan also. As far as I know, only the switch under the bathroom vanity activates my roof fan over the shower. Regarding the A/H, there is no register in the bedroom in our coach which I find as rather odd. Although all 3 zones have the heat strip option, it appears that the heat strip in the A/C only works in the bedroom off zone 3 on the Duotherm control. Also only Zone 1 & 2 have the furnace (A/H) option.

The heater controls are somewhat confusing and easy to forget how they work from Winter to Winter. So, I made a "How to get your heaters to work" guide and keep it posted to the inner side of the cabinet door above the thermostats.

Chuck