Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-24-2011

Default Questions about my new to me M380

Hi to all M 380 owners,

Now that I have gotten my feet wet, actually I have been dunked in the M380, there are several items that I would like to check with the group about.

1. It appears that if you have the domestic hot water switch "on" at the Hurricane unit, the circulating pump will run 24/7 whether hot water is required or not. True?? If so has anyone installed a switch inside to turn it off when not needed for dry camping?

2. Have you folks checked the rubber boots on your front ball joints for splits and general deterioration? I have looked at two, mine being one of them. The first one had bad boots on all four ball joints while the one I purchased has two bad boots on the bottom joints (top still look good). If you haven't looked at yours recently, please check, we all may have a problem along possibly with the 450 coaches also. A fellow from Canada asked about this several months ago and didn't get a response.

3. Is anyone still using the Kenwood GPS system. If so do you know where to get current maps?

I am sure I will have many more questions and hope I can contribute after I have more time with the new (to me) Bird.

Thanks for your help.
Old 02-24-2011

Default Questions about a new to me M380

Hello Jim:

I have had my M380 since 2003 and am still learning.

Yes, if you turn the hot water switch on the Hurricane unit in the bay the pump will run 24/7. Annoying!!!. So, I remoted a switch on the dash so I could cut it on and off between uses without having to go outside. I got my switch from Blue Bird and simply extended the wires from the present switch to the dash. You can probably find a switch from Parliment or Holland that is marked as Hydronic Heat. It doesn't take rocket science to make the change.

I have not checked the rubber boots on my coach but I certainly will. Thanks for the tip.

I am still using the Kenwood GPS unit. I updated the maps when I had to buy a new CD-ROM unit for the GPS. The last maps that were made by Kennwood are something like 2005 vintage. They were, at that time, more expensive than some of the more modern GPS units. If this unit gives up the ghost again I am going to replace it with one of the new units that offers free map updates.

I hope this helps. I am sure you will enjoy your M380. You will find that if something don't work to check and make sure that you are doing everything according to the way the coach likes because if you don't it won't work. The computers have a mind of their own.

Take care,

Amateur Radio - KG7V

Last edited by marvjeanm380; 02-24-2011 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 02-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Brookshire View Post
<<<Snip>>>
3. Is anyone still using the Kenwood GPS system. If so do you know where to get current maps?

Thanks for your help.
Jim,

I have the Kenwood in-dash GPS in my coach too and found that while a new DVD with updated maps is available, it costs more than a new GPS unit. I am sure all of the newer units by Magellan, Garmin and TomTom are much,much better than the older Kenwood. For about $125.00 you can get a TomTom with updatable maps and several features that make for a good bus unit. The volume of the unit is based on your speed, the faster you go, the louder it gets. It shows both your speed and the Posted Speed Limit! A whole bunch of other features as well. Particularly anoying in the Kenwood dash unit is its mutting of the dash radio each time the unit gives spoken directions. Stupid comments by the GPS chick like "stay on the selected route" always come during a time that prevents you from hearing what you wanted to hear on the radio!

There are many great mounts available on the internet that will make any brand unit easy to reach and use.

Last edited by G_man; 02-25-2011 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Clairification (Spelling)
Old 02-25-2011

Thanks for the reply's on the Kenwood GPS. Your answers are what I had expected, but wanted to check before I pulled it out. We have been using a Delorme GPS running on a laptop and have been pleased with it, so will continue to use it.

Would be interested in both of your responses on the front suspension ball joint boots.

Thanks again
Old 02-25-2011

I upgraded our Kenwood in dash GPS system to a hard drive system that uses sd cards for map and logic upgrades. Go to 'Lx and LXI issues' on WOG page 3 -Thread 'Kenwood GPS upgrade'.
It cost about $300 and the maps were updated by Garmin to 12/2009.

One can buy a newer (2010) hard drive system for about $500 as well.
"Dream Catcher"
Old 02-25-2011

Jim, my coach has had a remote switch installed (see photo, switch labeled "HW"). I switch it off to prevent the system from cycling every half hour or so. I wasn't aware that the circulating pump was running 24/7 while switch is in the on position...if it is running it sure is quiet cuz I have never heard it. Are you sure the engine pre-heat isn't on? as this will activate the circulating pump.

Thanks for the heads-up on the ball joint boots...upon inspection I found one upper boot with significant cracks. I'll need to get that addressed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	380 009.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	9104  
Old 02-27-2011

Welcome to the BlueBird M380 crowd. Thanks for the heads up. We will check our ball joint boots as well. Enjoy your bird and hope to see you at a rally.
Missouri
Old 03-30-2011

Hi I put my remote switch in the toilet room where the bit of wood covers the pipework between outer wall/floor as this seemed the easist to get to & can switch hot water off straight after a shower.
I looked @ mounting a switch in the dash area as other have, but trying to get the wires through from the locker box to the outer electical fuse box proved to be quite a task.

2004 wanderlodge M380
Old 04-18-2011

Jim,

Her is a document that could be useful about the RideStar parts of the M380. It gives some important informations.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ArvinMeritorRIS16EFSuspension.pdf (1.58 MB, 336 views)

2004 M380

Last edited by Andre; 04-18-2011 at 01:32 PM. Reason: Forget to include the document!