Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 03-15-2011

Default ROOF CANCER

FOR THE GROUP: “ROOF CANCER

While in Florida after the 2010 RATS outing, I had the time and opportunity to view the top area of the coach and found CANCER of THE ROOF. With the condition and care of this coach, I was very surprised to say the lease. This coach has always been stored inside, out of the weather, other than times of travel and various vacation times (subject to rains while out of storage). I was very surprised to find that the LARGE AWNING attached to the top section of the coach roof area (near the goat rails) is now showing CANCER (water & moisture standing over a period of time has deteriorated the roof metal & paint). This 1996 coach is in A-1 finish condition, inside & out (wax & clean, etc.) and no leaks have been experienced at this time.

Everyone in the group, might want to take a peek at their roof area for the same results. I have noticed that all attached awnings above the windows show no deterioration, just the LAEGE AWNING area.

QUESTION: What would be the best method to correct and preserve this area of the coach before further damages occur? It appears, not by design, that water will normally lay in this area (from rains, etc. will cause future damage), which will have to be taken inconsideration for corrective measures of the repairs.

THOUGHTS???

Below are photos of coach showing areas as mentioned above:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01102.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	374.7 KB
ID:	9458   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01134.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	359.5 KB
ID:	9460   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01137.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	9461   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01138.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	329.8 KB
ID:	9462   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01086.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	331.0 KB
ID:	9463   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01090.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	9464   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01083.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	242.3 KB
ID:	9465   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01088.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	160.3 KB
ID:	9466   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01087.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	9467   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01080.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	326.0 KB
ID:	9468  

Pan & Tilt rear Camera System/12 cams/Security System
New Castle, Indiana (summer)
Bradenton, Florida (winter)
kb9bg@arrl.net
Old 03-15-2011

Looks like just one panel has the problem. I would remove the awning, blast the rust area, then prime and paint. Colour doesn't have to be exact as likely will not be visable. If it looks like it is just the single panel then I would look for other areas on that panel. Nice mid door bus. I also have a mid door 96.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 03-15-2011

Do you suppose that could have been a galvanic reaction? After the repair...If it was only water pooling up there... lay lightly glue a 3/8 piece of cotton rope in the groove where your water pools the whole legnth with a simple 3-4 inch drop off either end and the capillary action of the rope will siphon the water off in less than a couple hours.
Old 03-15-2011

Peter's got it right. Not a huge deal. Try Por-15 to encapsulate after cleaning to bare metal. Use self etching primer on top, and paint. If you go to paintscratch.com they can probably match the paint but put it in a spray can. I think the paint from some of the peeling paint can be used as a sample. Or a paint shop can mix and you can spray with an HVLP gun.

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 03-16-2011
Forum Moderator

I would follow Peter and Doug's advice with two additions. When you reinstall the the awning place a barrier material such as a strip of Eternabond between it and the painted metal work. Also use some butyl wrapped around each screw that secures the awning to the roof. This will prevent water entering through the roof.
Old 03-16-2011

Gregg,
What has been said sounds like the solution and a DIY job, with some help getting the awning off. I would only add that I wouldn't wait too long to do it. Don't want to get a hole in any of the roof and then develope a leak.
Are you back home? If you decide to take this on let me know I can come down and help you, when you are ready. Are you going to any of the area rallys, starting with Thunder Over Louisville? Hope to see you at some of them.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 03-16-2011

Gregg,

It looks like Blue Bird didn't get enough sealant under the flange and it fretted or otherwise broke through the paint. Recently I found a leak on mine from two of the forward screws that had stripped and were leaking down to the top of the door and down the side of the door. I gooped them, but when I get home the whole flange comes off and I am going to use polynuts rather than the factory self-tapping screws to avoid this problem. You might consider that. If you need the polynuts, I have some extra and can tell you where you can get them.

In light of your post, I think I'd better use Rob's recommendation of a strip of Eternabond.

Okay, Rob, what is Eternabond and where do I get it?
Old 03-16-2011
Administrator

http://www.eternabond.com/
Old 03-16-2011
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Gregg,

It looks like Blue Bird didn't get enough sealant under the flange and it fretted or otherwise broke through the paint. Recently I found a leak on mine from two of the forward screws that had stripped and were leaking down to the top of the door and down the side of the door. I gooped them, but when I get home the whole flange comes off and I am going to use polynuts rather than the factory self-tapping screws to avoid this problem. You might consider that. If you need the polynuts, I have some extra and can tell you where you can get them.

In light of your post, I think I'd better use Rob's recommendation of a strip of Eternabond.

Okay, Rob, what is Eternabond and where do I get it?
I have a 50ft four inch wide roll coming in Friday by UPS. My supply is Big Rock Supply. Here's a link

http://www.bigrocksupply.com/store/p...-50-White.html
Old 03-16-2011

I'll bet when you get the awning off you will find some damage there. I suspect the wind has pulled on that attachment point and the rust is secondary to the damage. You might have more to deal with then just the obvious surface rust.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold