Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Transmission

Transmission Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's transmission.

Site Search:

Old 05-12-2008

Unhappy Allison Mt643

MY 84 FC HAS AN ALLISON MT643 THAT SEEMS TO HAVE BIT THE DUST. I AM SITTING IN A TRUCKSTOP IN DALLAS TX AND HAVE A TOP SPEED OF 35 MPH. CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A TRANSMISSION SHOP NEAR HERE. I THINK MY TRANSMISSION HAS BIT THE DUST, BUT I NEED A GOOD SHOP THAT WON'T TRY AND STICK IT TO ME SINCE I'M FROM OUT OF TOWN. HELP...................KEN GALLENDER.................jgallender@yahoo.com or 228-234-0456.

Thanks .............................Ken
Old 05-12-2008

ken,
working on it. I've got a freind in DFW who's husband was in the industry. I'll get her looking. Will let you know as soon as I can.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 05-12-2008
Forum owner

Ken,the top speed of 35 is because it won't shift gears? or is it slipping? or is your fuel filter stopped up?
more info is needed here!!
Randy

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-13-2008

Ken,
Just an update, I have not yet heard back from my friend in DFW. I chatted with another fellow who is working there, but none of his RV buddies knew anybody to recommend. I haven't given up yet.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 05-13-2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-13-2008
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

I just talked to Ken on the phone. He said he has his bird in the shop getting it repaired. He said he would post an update about the repair later.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 05-13-2008

Here's hoping it all goes well and is easy on the wallet! Looking forward to hearing his report.

Old 05-17-2008

Default Transmission follow up

I am finally back to Gulfport. As many of you know my transmission bit the dust about 35 miles east of Dallas. I got on the internet and started looking for truck transmission shops. The first shop I called couldn't help because their transmission guy was on vacation. I ask him for a referral. He told me the guy he would call is Doug at Inland Truck Parts Company in Irving, TX.

I called Doug and he was very familier with my transmission. He quickly gave me a list of possibilities based on my symptoms including the worst case scenario of a ruined transmission. He also gave the worst case cost of $2600 for a rebuilt transmission and about $1200 for the swap.

They took me right in and pulled the old transmission. While in there they discovered the rear seal on the engine was leaking so they changed that. The whole job, including the seal and tax came to a hair over $4,600 with a two year warranty good anywhere in the country.

I hated to have to spend $4,600, but I thought it was very reasonable considering the size of the vehicle and the fact that I was on the road and didn't know anyone. They could have very easily taken advantgage and didn't. They even had a place for me to hook up electricity and water while they were waiting for my tranmssion replacement.

I do not believe I could take my Jeep to the Chrysler dealership with a bad transmission and get away any cheaper.

So if any of you guys have transmission trouble anywhere in the Dallas area I recommend Inland Truck Parts and Service. 972-438-1406
Old 05-18-2008

Ken,
Did they tell you what was wrong with the old tranny? I'm glad to hear things worked out well for you. Like you said, tough to spend the money, but it sounds like you were treated fairly.

Old 05-20-2008
popeye

Default MT 643

Owning the same coach ('84 FC) I'm also interested in what the final diagnosis (post mortem?) was.

What were the symptomns,? Did the tranny fail catastrophically or was it a slow process?

Glad to hear you are rolling again
Old 05-31-2008

It started acting like it was having trouble changing gears. I was traveling in west Texas and the wind was blowing about 30 knots and I was going up a slight incline so I thought it just couldn't get up to speed because of the driving conditions. Finally it got worse so I stopped and checked the fluid and the level was fine. My next step was to change the fuel filters, because I thought it may be a fuel flow problem. The filter change was ineffective. I then smelled the fluid and it had a welding shop smell. It would almost burn your nose. When the transmission shop ran the pressures on it, they were off. When the Allison man smelled it, he said that the bands were without a doubt burned out. They told me that I needed to get the new transmission hot at least once a month and preferrable run it about ten miles a month. They explained to me that these buses are designed to run all day every day. And when most people get them they might spend many months just sitting around. The bands are left to dry on the top half and all the seals start to dry. They also told me that these old transmissions have a mineral oil base and that they would start to grow bacteria just like you find in old diesel tanks. So from now on I am going to crank my bus and generator up every other weekend and let them get up to temp. And once a month I am going to take it for a run up the road. I hope this is the first and last transmission I have to buy for it. I am still surprised that it only cost $4,600 to swap out. The new transmission shifts so smooth that you almost miss it shifting. The original transmission always had a harsh shift like it was jumping into gear. Hope this helps..............Ken