Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 10-18-2011

Default Generator/Shore power switch

Help, Can anyone tell me where the switch to convert from generator to shore power is located on a 1990 36SP. The dogs are getting tired of the generator running all the time, not to mention the neighbors.
Old 10-18-2011

Hello. On the SP36, there is no manual switch for power selection. It is done via an automatic transfer switch. Actually two of them. They are located under the little cabinet forward your entry door.

Here is the standard mode of operation: Generator power is always top priority. When your generator is running, it will always supply 110v to the coach. When your coach is connected to shore power and genny is off, shore power should automatically be used.

Just to understand, are you saying you have NO 110v power in your coach when connected to shore power? What kind of shore power are you using? 110v 20 or 30 amp? 220v 50 amp? Once we understand exactly where your power is coming from, and what the exact symptoms are, we can better help you.
Linden, Michigan
Old 10-18-2011

Thank you, I have no 30 or 50 when I plug into a power source, with the generator off. I have looked in that area, the same as the LP gas correct? And have not seen anything.
Old 10-18-2011

Richard,

So you are using a standard house extension cable?? If so, that's probably 15 amps. 20 amps max.

Next question: How are you connecting it to the thick 50 amp cable connected to your coach?

The transfer switches are 'hidden'. They aren't things that people normally need to fuss with, so that's probably why you couldn't find them. Unless they are malfunctioning, they are completely automatic. Inside your coach, if you were standing in the galley looking at the entry door, you have a mirror, or maybe a mirrored cabinet to the left of the door. Below that, there is a cabinet. When you open the cabinet door, there isn't as much free space inside as you would expect. If you unscrew the false back of the cabinet, you'll find the transfer switches.
Linden, Michigan
Old 10-18-2011

I plugged the 50 amp into the socket in the box, there is a junction box that allows me to plug my 30 amp (yellow) extention cord into and then to a 30 amp plug my father-in-law has in his garage. Am I still doing in correctly or do I have the use a twist plug in for the 30 amp service?
Old 10-18-2011

Thank you for your assistance to this point and I will check these items and mail you again later as I need to go to a family lunch as we are visiting in Burr Ridge today. Thanks again!
Old 10-18-2011

Richard,
I have that connection in mine but find it easier to just use an adapter. Only need to carry one cord that way!
"The Great Escape"
1941 Taylorcraft BC12-65
http://kenshar.blogspot.com

-.-. --- -- -- ..- -. .. ... -- works only in .... . .- ...- . -. where they don't need it, and in .... . .-.. .-.. where they've already got it.
Old 10-18-2011

On my 90 there is a automatic change over switch (this is for the inverter) located in the storage bay in front of the curb side steer as well. It's mounted up high so you won't necessarly see it unless you get down there and look. It has been brought out that generator is the "normal state". If you hadn't already done so I would start my troubleshooting at the plug and work forward. Also be mindful that there is a little more to the system than a transfer switch. There are also contactors simular to what you would find on a central AC condensing unit. Two of those are under the bed and at least one additional one behind that false panel that was mentioned.

Last edited by innovative1; 10-18-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-18-2011

First some info questions.....

Is this a new coach to you?

Is this the first time you are connecting to shore power?

Have you checked power with a meter at the shore plug to ensure you have power?

Have you checked the circuit breaker box to ensure the breakers are on?

My coach has a power protection monitor that waits for about 2-3 minutes before it allows power to the coach. Do you have one also?

Good luck.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 10-18-2011

This is the first time I have tried shore power. The coach is about a year old and I have just used generator on previous trips because we did not stop for any lenght of time. I will check these suggestions in the morning. There have been so many secret things, the Brair Switch and the turn on for the gas in the cabin come to mind that I thought there maybe another funny proceedure to get the shore power to work that I was missing. Thanks to all I'll go at it again tomorrow.