Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 10-18-2011

If you need a switcher, this is the one I bought. It's a real high end, high quality unit. The seller has 1 left.
(hint, despite his $699 price, I offered him $250 and got it)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Automatic-Ge...item1c049b2b56
Cummins ISX-650HP
Old 10-18-2011

Thank you for the link and suggestion. If I need to go that route, I will use him.
Old 10-21-2011

Default It appears all is lost.

To me it must be 220, but I left the option at the house breaker to shut down one of the 125 breakers if the real system is 50 amps on 125. Any new thoughts from anyone?
Old 10-21-2011

the rest of the message was that I rewired a 220 plug to accept the bus plug in and after I shut everything off I did not get power. I checked the bus circuit breakers and they were on. I shut off the breaker to the 30 amp 125 leg that is located in the driver's side behind the battery compartment and appears to run off the generator. Still nothing. I believe the landline is 220 50 amp but now I question even this.
Old 10-21-2011

Lots of good advice given to you and you appear to be ignoring it. You say you don't know if your landline is 240 V, 50 A. Brad said to use a meter to check for shore power - did you do that? If you did then you would know. There should be a 2-pole breaker in the house panel marked "50A" feeding your shore power plug, check that too. "I left the option to shut down one of the 125 breakers". Are you using 2 single-pole breakers for a 240 V supply? Sounds like it from your post. Shutting off one of your single pole breakers (if wired as you appear to describe) will kill the power to half your panel, not give you a 120 V supply to the whole panel. Did you wire the neutral correctly in all this?

Reread the thread, what you need to do has already been stated. Verify shore power, then follow the circuit to the transfer switches. You will need a voltmeter, do you have one and know how to use it?

If you are in over your head, call an electrician before you electrocute yourself or start a fire.

Last edited by rselin; 10-21-2011 at 04:54 AM.
Old 10-21-2011

I will test the the switch. It appears that if you have a good 220 50 amp line going in, which I have since I tested it after restoring power to the plug, and nothing happens after you plug in the bus, it must be the automatic transfer switch. I was frustrated with the fact that when I tried good power nothing happened, yet I had no issues when using the generator.
Old 10-21-2011

Being very careful, it is possible to check for voltage at the input of the auto transfer switch. If you have good power at the shore plug then you need to find where the power stops in or at the coach. Possiblities include bad breakers, bad shore power cord, bad auto transfer switch or bad wiring.

Do you know where the transfer switch is located on your SP?

Do you have shore power polarity lights on your SP?

If so, are they illuminated?
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 10-21-2011

Richard,

Based on what you are now describing, a couple of possibilities come to mind:

The automatic under/over volt protection system could be faulty. The system monitors the input voltage from your shore power, and only connects the power to the coach when the power is nominal.

The power is actually connected to the coach inside the transfer switch via a 'contactor', which is similar to a relay. The contactor is a mechanical device. It could be bad, or the electrical terminals could be loose, causing it to not transfer the power.

CAUTION! Only open and investigate the transfer switch if you are comfortable and knowledgeable working with 220v circuitry. As long as your coach is connected to shore power, that 220v is most likely LIVE inside the transfer switch.
Linden, Michigan
Old 10-22-2011

Brad and Robert,
The plot thickens. I found only a invertor box behind the mirror over the safe near the door. There is a switch on the right side of the mirror cabinet and the wiring to the switch seems to follow the wiring from the invertor box toward the invertor compartment. There is a separate box with two 30 amp breakers and a 50 amp socket located just behind the set of batteries below the driver's seat. I am beginning to think there was some change to the electrical, unless you folks believe this is a normal set up. As to your questions Brad, I still have not found the transfer switch. It is not in the invertor compartment, it is not in the LP gas compartment which is below the mirror cabinet and it does not appear to be behind the mirror. The only thing there is a box labeled invertor rec. As for the indicator lights they exist and the green lights illuminate when plugged in or on generator. I appreciate your suggestions and I hope this info might help you folks lead me to a solution or to call in the electrician. Robert as to your thoughts, I get a reading of 256 Volts when testing the house socket. Do you believe that might exceed the switch limit? Again thanks!
Old 10-22-2011

256 V is high and outside recommended limits (Range B). It should not be sustained.

http://www.pge.com/includes/docs/pdf..._tolerance.pdf

I have no socket in my battery compartment. I have a built-in power cord with 50 A connector in my rear-most roadside compartment. I have an additional 30 A socket in that same compartment. It is entirely possible that you have a non-standard wiring arrangement. You have mentioned the LP compartment a couple of times. There should be no electrical shore connections there, only a duplex convenience receptacle.