Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 10-22-2011

Richard,

Maybe your coach has a non standard layout. Don't worry, we'll figure it out.

Some thoughts:
Try connecting the coach to a "smaller" source of power and let's see what happens. Like 110v from a wall outlet. To do that, especially for the first time, you should make sure ALL 110v appliances in the coach are off. You can easily overload a 15 or 20 amp circuit with a Bird. If you can do that, let's see what happens.

Now. For the transfer switch. Maybe the '90 SP is a bit different, but on the '91 and '92, they are hidden inside the cabinet (table) UNDER that mirror cabinet. If you were walking up the stairs into your bus, the cabinet is on your right as you walk up. On the passenger side. There should be a cabinet door to open in front of the cabinet. Inside that door, there is a false back to the cabinet. That's where I expect to find your transfer switches.

My personal guess is that your voltage is too high, and the switches aren't connecting as a result. However, that is just a guess. That's why I'm suggesting trying a different source of power. Running the coach on. 15 or 20 amps of 110v isn't easy, but I am hoping at least that maybe we can validate that the transfer switches work when the proper input voltage is applied.

As Richard said, there is nothing interesting electric wise in the LP bay. That would be a serious fire hazard!

Good luck. Maybe attach some pictures, so we can see if you have a unique setup. Knowing BB, it's always possible!

-Robert
Linden, Michigan

Last edited by RGloverii; 10-22-2011 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Adding some clarity
Old 10-22-2011

My electrical automatic switching (shore to generator) is located inside in the half cabinet to the right of the entrance door. You open the door to the cabinet, remove several screws from the panel within and the switch is behind that panel. Shore hook up is via a 50 AMP Cord located in a left rear compartment. The Cord is hard wired with only the "plug end" free to play out for service.

How about taking some pictures to show us what your talking about. Never heard of an SP wired the way you describe.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 10-22-2011

Thank you Richard, it looks as though I will not be able to use the 220 connector in the rear most compartment with the house power. I also have a 30 amp twist connection in that compartment, but then the double 30 amp circuit breaker in the front with a 220 plug. This last connection must be an add on and may be a replacement for the rear connection. However to use it, I would have to have a 50 amp cord with two male connectors???
Old 10-22-2011

Robert,

Picture, will have to wait until we get back home. The only way I can use 125 is by plugging the 220 into a junction box the the previous owner put together. I will try this when I get back to the bird. Thank all again for the suggestions. The cabinet under the mirror on my bus has a safe and there appears to be no obvious screws to remove the back of the cabinet, but I will look again.
Old 10-22-2011

Interesting.

Sounds like you have some custom work on your Bird. I can't wait to see the pictures.

FYI, to plug into shore power less than 50 amps, there are adapters that connect to your big thick 50 amp cable:

To go from the 50 amp cable to 110v 30 amp, there is a 50 amp to 30 amp adapter. You'll end up using that at campgrounds every now and then.
http://m.campingworld.com/browse/sku...=48858&rewrote

To go all the way down to 15 or 20 amp 110v, you'll use the same adapter mentioned above, then add a 30 amp to 15 amp adapter. You can then plug that directly into a normal wall outlet. That should always be your last choice. It's not very much power for all of your electric goodies at all, but it's better than nothing.
http://m.campingworld.com/browse/sku...=24494&rewrote

Hope this helps.
Linden, Michigan
Old 10-22-2011

Thank you for the links, I have the first cord, but not the adaptor. Maybe I can find one at Home Depot. The nearest camper store is about 35 miles away here in the Western subs of Chicago.
Old 10-22-2011

Walmart sells them too.
Linden, Michigan
Old 10-22-2011

Just be advised however, many Bluebirds are not happy on Ground Fault Interupter (GFI) protected circuits. My BMC for example will trip a GFI protected 15 amp, 110 volt circuit every time. Until I installed my 50 amp circuit in my storage shed I had to take out the GFI protection to keep the batteries charged up. I also had to make sure I pulled the breakers to just about everything else to keep the 15 amp circuit breaker from tripping.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad
Old 10-24-2011

Brad, Richard, Rick and Robert

I managed to get an adaptor and I successfully got 15 AMP to the Coach. With it In can run the refrer, light, chargers. If I try the on board electric heating I trip the house circuit breaker. Must be that 256 Volts is too high for the switch to work. On the overhead gauges I have both legs receiving 125 and the dash guages show 13.6 volts to each battery bank as does the inverter. So all is good with me and the dogs. When I get home I plan to put a separate 30 AMP and 50 AMP plugs in the garage to see if I can get the stepped up amperage to work properly. Thank you all for your assistance!!!!!
Old 10-24-2011

Richard,

Sounds good so far. Glad to hear that it was a nice simple solution.

Yes, you will just barely be able to power your coach on a 15 amp circuit. No getting around that. Ideally, the coach will be happiest with a proper 50 amp circuit. Until you get your electrical service upgraded, avoid any heating appliance in the coach. Even the microwave will overload the circuit.

Feel free to keep us posted, and of course, we're always here to offer advice

-Robert
Linden, Michigan