Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 09-26-2012

Default Overhead generator oil pressure and coolant temp gage

Recently when I start the generator the generator "on" indicator light, coolant temp gauge, and oil pressure gauge do not seem to be energizing. I checked the sending units for voltage and got a zero reading. My thought is because all three of these electrical devices are not working the problem lies somewhere on the positive side of the circuit.

Can someone tell me where those fuses are located? I scoured my schematics and could not locate those devices to trace back to the power source.

If I grounded the lead coming from the sending unit the gauge should read the maximum if the gauge is energized. Am I correct in this logic?

If anyone has any information please let me know.

Thanks a bunch!
Old 09-26-2012

Hi Chuck-- The good news, I assume, is that you can still start the genny and it will run, right?

If so, then there appears to be a loose connection on either the control box or a loose wire on the starter. Power to my gauges comes from a stud on the starter. Check the small wires that are secured to one of the screws on the starter and make sure that they are all in good shape and not chafed or corroded.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 09-27-2012
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&Knewbirds View Post
Recently when I start the generator the generator "on" indicator light, coolant temp gauge, and oil pressure gauge do not seem to be energizing. I checked the sending units for voltage and got a zero reading. My thought is because all three of these electrical devices are not working the problem lies somewhere on the positive side of the circuit.

Can someone tell me where those fuses are located? I scoured my schematics and could not locate those devices to trace back to the power source.

If I grounded the lead coming from the sending unit the gauge should read the maximum if the gauge is energized. Am I correct in this logic?

If anyone has any information please let me know.

Thanks a bunch!
Hi Chuck,

Not necessarily… Shorting the sender wire to ground causes some gauges to peg to the right and others to peg to left, it depends on the characteristics of the gauge.
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 09-27-2012

Thanks Shane, I'll give it a look. Generator fires up and runs good. If I can get those gauges to work again I'll be in business.