Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 01-20-2013

Michael,
I have a Prosine 2.0 that I want to install in my 82. I am trying to figure out where physically you have connected your inverter into the electrical system. I have explored most of the relays on the bus and have come up with some possibilities but because what I think know and what I know are different I am asking some one who has done this. My possibilities are the relay under the stairs that I think connects to the original chargers (next to the pump relay) or the relay at the front that connects to the house shut off at the door (next to the secondary starter relay). Last thought, do you connect the inverter positive side directly to the batteries and it will power the 12v system as originally designed? Thanks in advance the help.

Andy

Last edited by awilson; 01-20-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-20-2013

Andy- the ProSine unit needs to be as close to the battery bank as possible, but still be in a dry, well-ventilated area. We located Bill Garamella's ProSine in the front right outside compartment. We encased some 2/0 welding cables inside some flexible conduit and ran them down around the engine/trans and over to the batteries. We also installed a ventilation fan in the compartment to make sure that the unit did not overheat.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 01-20-2013

Shane,
Thanks for the information. I am trying to do this and leave the old chargers in place for back up because they both still work. I wasn't sure of wire sizes for distance traveled. The real reason for the inverter is to have AC current while driving (TV, crock pot....)Thanks again for your help.
Andy

Last edited by awilson; 01-20-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old 01-20-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilson View Post
Michael,
I have a Prosine 2.0 that I want to install in my 82. I am trying to figure out where physically you have connected your inverter into the electrical system. I have explored most of the relays on the bus and have come up with some possibilities but because what I think know and what I know are different I am asking some one who has done this. My possibilities are the relay under the stairs that I think connects to the original chargers (next to the pump relay) or the relay at the front that connects to the house shut off at the door (next to the secondary starter relay). Last thought, do you connect the inverter positive side directly to the batteries and it will power the 12v system as originally designed? Thanks in advance the help.

Andy

Andy, Shane's solution is a good one. However, I wanted that space used for my starting batteries and extra fluids for the bus. I installed my Prosine under the driver's side couch. That shortened the wire run from the 6v battery bank, keeps the Prosine away from heat and water. I have a muffin fan to help cool the Prosine under the couch.

I use 4/0 cable from the Prosine directly to the batteries. You want to keep that run as short as possible. The 120v run can be as long as needed. I added another circuit breaker panel just under the stock one in the closet. Then you simply pick the circuits off the old one you want to power and move them to the new smaller panel. On a Prosine 2.0 you can run up to 30a on the bypass relay.

If you have specific issue or questions don't hesitate to email me.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 01-20-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
Andy, Shane's solution is a good one. However, I wanted that space used for my starting batteries and extra fluids for the bus. I installed my Prosine under the driver's side couch. That shortened the wire run from the 6v battery bank, keeps the Prosine away from heat and water. I have a muffin fan to help cool the Prosine under the couch.

I use 4/0 cable from the Prosine directly to the batteries. You want to keep that run as short as possible. The 120v run can be as long as needed. I added another circuit breaker panel just under the stock one in the closet. Then you simply pick the circuits off the old one you want to power and move them to the new smaller panel. On a Prosine 2.0 you can run up to 30a on the bypass relay.

If you have specific issue or questions don't hesitate to email me.
Mike,

Any noise issues with your solution?
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)
Old 01-20-2013

I really like what Mike did... If you can swing it, that is the ideal way to go. It also avoids crossing under the engine and trans with the 12V cabling. 4/0 is a much better choice if you can find it.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 01-21-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patric View Post
Mike,

Any noise issues with your solution?
No, it's very quiet and inside a couch. Of course if you were to use other products I'd check their Db noise levels.

Old 01-21-2013

Mike,
Thanks for your info. This is a good idea for my app. Since it would use no basement storage and there is the unused battery warmer circuit run to that point. Thanks for your help,
Andy
Old 01-21-2013

No Problem.. Mount the muffin fan on the air intake grill for the heater. When the heater runs air simply passes through it. When the inverter/charger runs it sucks air through the grill. Without ventilation it gets too hot under there. You can run the fan off the internal unit's fan, or use a temp sensor to control the heat.

Quiet, secure, dry, clean, and doesn't use up any bays.

Old 03-25-2013

Default Greasy fun times

This weekend I nearly completed the Xantrex install. I put the remote in the overhead dash and ran the wires down the drivers side pillar next to the windshield out the floor with the other wires and behind the batteries and followed other wires down the frame rail to the charger bay. Zipties every 6-12-inches.

I put two large bus bars and connected the old charger in with the new charger so I can use either or both if I want. I plan on just using the Xantrex though.

I will try to get some pics today since I know how much u-all like pictures.

There are other activities I think I would rather be doing than running wires down the underside of a 30-year old bus. Fun activities like poking my eyes with sharp sticks and pushing toothpicks under my fingernails.

For the safety conscious, I blocked the bus in front with stacked 4x4's and dumped the suspension and just let the rear drop onto the suspension stops.
84 FC35RB (3208 turbo)