Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 09-13-2013

If it is straight highway cruising at about 55 mph or so I get 8 Mph towing my Mercedes ML320 toad, but stop and go and generator, hurricane heater use etc. I can get a lot less. I tend to think just the driving part is about 6 to 8 depending on traffic and terrain. I've talked to others who have 42 -45 ft. SOB who tell me they can only average 3 mph no matter what.
Email DennisTorresMalibu@gmail.com
Old 09-14-2013

I interpreted Steve's comments to mean that given the over all cost of ownership and operation of a coach the cost of fuel is not all that significant considering the difference in milage amoung different coaches is only couple of miles per gallon. Nor was his comment directed at anyone - he was relaying what was said to him when he was looking to purchase. Like Randy, I think his comments and intent were misinterpreted.
Email DennisTorresMalibu@gmail.com
Old 09-14-2013
Geek

Perhaps, but I think "if you are worried about mileage you can't afford a bird" is a comment that almost always comes from someone who has a coach at the lower end of the mileage range. It is likely that a lot of people who don't own the 8V92s here made a conscious decision to get better mileage. As I said, it entered into our decision to move to an M380. It would not have made sense to make a decision ONLY on that factor, but that doesn't mean it isn't/wasn't a factor.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 09-14-2013

Quote:
Who had a rally in Fredericksburg?
Lone Star Birds had a rally last April in Fredericksburg, TX.

M.R.Kane
1987 PT40 'Sleipnir'
currently Iron River, MI
Old 09-14-2013

I can see how the comment was taken wrong. Only the person stating it knows the original meaning. I have now began to give the benefit of the doubt to comments that I don't know the direction of origin. But with all that said my mileage is horrible (compared to a prius), and you're always welcome to come visit my coach!! Although I don't know how quick you'll get out of it due to me never shutting up!
So I figure you're not looking for an older PT or anywhere near PA, but hey the invites there!!
john@pletcherfire.com
Old 09-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by al perna View Post
Brian , I dont know where this happened , but I assure you a trip to Pine Mountain will allow you entrance to over 100 coaches of every vintage . I like others wouldn't even ask you to remove your shoes . In fact we are all ,very proud of our coaches , even KC who hides the beauty of his with a tire ha ha ha
Yeah, yeah,yeah, - blah, blah, blah - I will admit, it is a good looking cover - but is there really a tire under there? - - - - - or am I hiding massive rear end damage?
Only the Shadow knows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2929.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	24817  
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 09-14-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianS View Post
What just happened?
Someone who does not even really know me (I did not say never met me) told me I should not ask such questions, because if I do, I cannot afford such a bus. What an insult. I am not expected to research such a purchase, ask questions, perform due diligence?

Fredericksburg. No I did not go to Durango.
If you reread the statement, it was not directed to anyone, but me, as this was said to me over 15 years ago, when I was looking. You will notice the quotes. If you took it to offend you, then I'm sorry. As I said before, reread the statement.
If you were at the Frederick rally, I didn't see you, and the Lone Star Birds are usually the most friendly group you will ever meet, so I don't know where you are coming from.
Old 09-14-2013

In thinking more about Fredericksburg, there was an old grouch there, and his coach is for sale.
If I remember correctly(I know , that's dangerous), he was parked next to Hummer 1. Usually, if he thinks your interested in it he will be nice, unless his cats are in the attack mode, then all bets are off.
Old 09-19-2013

Brian,

I can tell you a possible reason why you were not invited in to see other coaches at the Fredericksburg rally- your actions inside somebody's bird! You DO NOT go into somebody's "home" and start flipping switches and adjusting the driver's seat! Everybody's bird is their baby and they most certainly prefer it NOT to get messed up by somebody who doesn't have a clue how to "look".

And before you take it personally- take it as an education on how to look at somebody's VERY EXPENSIVE toy. If you chose to take it personally, than so be it.

And it ALWAYS will be with expensive toys "If you have to ask, you can't afford it!"

And for the furthering of your education, the mileages of the birds are roughly as follows:

FC 7-9 depending on configuration, some can be higher and some lower
6V92- as above
8V92- 4-6 with same stipulations
S60- 5-7 with same stipulations
All the Cummins powered birds- 7-9, with the same stipulations

All of these figures are MOST affected by your right foot. I can get 10 out of my 60, but I'm sure as heck not driving it that slow. It closer to 5 most of the time. When I can finally retire, it will go to 7.

All the other mileage threads on this forum will concur with the above postings.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 09-19-2013 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Furthering a noob's learnin'
Old 09-19-2013

* 6v92- 7 to 9 mpg - 8v92- 4 to 6 mpg *

John, is the better mileage for the 6v92 because of a better horsepower to weight ratio because the coach is normally shorter, or something else?

Does anyone have the actual weight difference of a PT-36 (6v92) vs a PT-40 (8v92) or any other specific models where the math might show why there is better mileage?