Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 10-26-2013
Geek

It is possible that "infinite" is not an option - as that reads it is no more likely 24 than zero. I was just saying that zero is the common option for infinite if that is possible at all.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 10-26-2013

Yes, like I said they need to make an RV/boat specific controller with a manual that's dumbed down enough to get it up and running. Actually the FX 2012 manual does pretty much do that but it doesn't go into setting the unit up specifically for our use. This has to result in a bunch of time on the phone with owners who are "challenged" And then every bus is different as we all so well know.

Haven't I said time and again: "Its aways an adventure"

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-26-2013

John,
Design engineers should not be allowed to write manuals. They write them assuming you know what they are talking about. But I did some looking and found that outback doe's make a RV/marine inverter. Maybe if you download the manual for it, it would make more sense to our applications.
Outback's marine/RV inverters end in an m and the nearest rv part # I could find is this VFX2812M.
Old 10-26-2013
Geek

I ran into this in one FX manual:
Quote:
After the “Float Time Limit” (default of 1 hour), the FX goes back into ‘Silent’ mode and waits until the battery voltage drops to
the ‘Refloat’ voltage again. It then repeats the ‘Float’ charge for the “Float Time Period”. The FX will continue this cycle of
‘Silent’, ‘Refloat’ and ‘Float’ until the AC source is disconnected.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 10-26-2013
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Float voltages and times plus EQ voltages and times.

I was thinking 14.4 for Absorption and 2 hours ???

Float at 13.6 and I don't know how time applies here.

EQ is equilizing and I think that is 15 or 16 ?
For Magnum (because that is what I am familiar with):

The AC1 and AC2 settings refer to the RMS frequency of the AC source. Somewhere in the display, you can look at a Freq meter readout of whatever is connected as AC1 or AC2. Some chargers will also let you set a limit on how many amps the charger will use from AC1 or AC2.

I would avoid equalizing except when doing it manually--look for a setting that accomplishes that. Call me superstitious but I think you want to disconnect batts from coach to equalize, thereby sparing all of your on-board equipment from exposure to 15 - 16V recommended for FLA deep cycle batts.

Float and absorb times--good grief. What I get from my Magnum Control Panel manual, and it is a little murky on this subject, is if I don't have a battery monitor providing state-of-charge or return-amps feedback to the charger, I can guide the charger by setting the amount of time for these charge steps to run. Pretty murky, but if Outback and Magnum do it, I would guess this is useful in off-grid applications.

Anyway, Magnum gives a table of absorb times based on AH capacity of the bank. Were I to use the absorb time setting with my 4x6V golf carts, the table tells me to set it to 2 hours. For 6x6V, you would use 3 hours.
Full-time in 2019
Old 10-26-2013
Senior

John this is difficult for you have put a lot of money into this Magnum system, however it appears that you have purchased the incorrect system for your use. You purchased the Fx2012T which is an off grid imverter charger as I previously noted, and that is why the manuals are so confusing to you. Add to that that they are poorly written and you are going to have a very difficult time installing and maintainimg it with your limited knowledge of electronics and computers. The correct unit would have been the Fx1012MT which is for marime and Rv use. I have been unable to find a manual for that system to find out how that system differs from the one you have. Add to that the FX2012T only puts out 80 amps (same as yours), to charge your batteries in my opinion they will be inefficient to charge your batteries from generator power.

I would highly recommend anyone that is considering installing a new inverter charger to stick with xantex units specifically made for Rv use. the manuals are written in language that everyone can understand if you take the time to read them carefully. If I had the time John i would troubleshoot the system for you and get it working correctly, but I honestly do not have the time now to read the manuals and teach myself and then to help you. i am in the middle of rebuilding the foundation to my wifes greenhouse before freezimg weather comes. I would caution you John to be careful playing with the mate 2 and trying to get the inverter charger to work by guessing at the settings. Its easy to ruin deep cycle batteries this way. Good luck and I am truly sorry for the pickle you are in.
6V92
Old 10-27-2013

Not to worry Tom just had the voltage set point set too low. I've been using it for months Tom this was the only glitch. I was trying to charge fully drained batteries plugged into 50 amps with the unit set to allow 7. I plan to confirm with the techs at outback and see what they have to say . I'll also ask how many are used in rv and boats just to see . Zantrex ? Never again for me. No need to go there. By the way fx1012mt doesn't exist on the OUTBACk web page so that makes for even more confusion. Tom we are talking Outback not Magnum are we on the same page (?)

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold

Last edited by bubblerboy64; 10-27-2013 at 01:16 AM.
Old 10-27-2013
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
I have an Outback FX2012T with a Mate II remote and I need to talk to some one who can walk me through the operation and programing.

I by accident let the batteries get real low and I had problems with the charger staying on this morning. Talked to tech support and they said the trouble was due to input voltage being too low or the frequency of the voltage. This was the only thing they said which would shut the unit down. Ether that or a loose wire. I checked for loose wires and found nothing and I don't think that was the problem. I believe I have something programed wrong. I've never had problems before charging off the generator or the sure plug that I have at the house. I am puzzled.

So I need some help from some one who knows these units. I'll study up this evening and maybe tomorrow some one would call me and walk me down the path. Heck Man 717 816 1836

Quote:
Originally Posted by warbucks13477 View Post
John this is difficult for you have put a lot of money into this Magnum system, however it appears that you have purchased the incorrect system for your use. You purchased the Fx2012T which is an off grid imverter charger as I previously noted, and that is why the manuals are so confusing to you. Add to that that they are poorly written and you are going to have a very difficult time installing and maintainimg it with your limited knowledge of electronics and computers. The correct unit would have been the Fx1012MT which is for marime and Rv use. I have been unable to find a manual for that system to find out how that system differs from the one you have. Add to that the FX2012T only puts out 80 amps (same as yours), to charge your batteries in my opinion they will be inefficient to charge your batteries from generator power.

I would highly recommend anyone that is considering installing a new inverter charger to stick with xantex units specifically made for Rv use. the manuals are written in language that everyone can understand if you take the time to read them carefully. If I had the time John i would troubleshoot the system for you and get it working correctly, but I honestly do not have the time now to read the manuals and teach myself and then to help you. i am in the middle of rebuilding the foundation to my wifes greenhouse before freezimg weather comes. I would caution you John to be careful playing with the mate 2 and trying to get the inverter charger to work by guessing at the settings. Its easy to ruin deep cycle batteries this way. Good luck and I am truly sorry for the pickle you are in.
Quote:
Not to worry Tom just had the voltage set point set too low. I've been using it for months Tom this was the only glitch. I was trying to charge fully drained batteries plugged into 50 amps with the unit set to allow 7. I plan to confirm with the techs at outback and see what they have to say . I'll also ask how many are used in rv and boats just to see . Zantrex ? Never again for me. No need to go there. By the way fx1012mt doesn't exist on the OUTBACk web page so that makes for even more confusion. Tom we are talking Outback not Magnum are we on the same page (?)
Hi Tom,

For the record (as you can see in the attached picture) John installed an FX2012MT not an FX2012T. It looks like John just made a simple typo on the model number at the beginning of this thread. It’s pretty easy to make a mistake like that... for example FX1012MT......

Picture of Heck Mans inverter:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Heckmans inverter (2).jpg
Views:	110
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	25323  
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 10-27-2013

Thanks John, You always get to the heart of it. In my case it wasn't a typo it was simply I had forgotten the correct model number. The manuals cover multiple units as well.

What Tom also doesn't remember is that Shane was the master mind behind this entire project and Shane learned much of what he knows on the subject from TOM .

So I guess what we can conclude from all of this is IT'S TOMS FAULT.

That works for me.

Like I've said I'll confer with Outback Tech support but I think I've got it figured out. Certainly if not figured out WORKING

Thank you all for the technical information, moral support, concern, understanding and most of all humor. The later being by far the most important. If we can't have a little fun in this better to give it up.

Tom, I AM rather limited in my abilities but I have two things in my favor. I am tenacious and I have FRIENDS. You among them. Please don't worry about me. I get'er done. A quote from my friend Woody who also has helped the Heck Man. (Who hasn't)

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 10-28-2013
Senior

John actually I did not need to teach Shane anything, except maybe how to sit quietly and watch, which I did, or. When to pass the correct wrench, which I also did. But always the long pole in the tent is always how to maintain, readjust for changing conditions and maintain long term any decice I am thinking of buying and imstalling? In my opinion the magnum series of imverter/chargers is to difficult dor the average person to use. These motorhomes are complex enough without usimg this kind of equipment. But of course John has already purchased amd imstalled it so only time will tell if he will be successful Good luck Bubbler
6V92